Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) bullet selection (Read 10134 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

bullet selection
Jul 19th, 2013 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Assuming you knew your bores dimensions and rate of twist, how would you go about selecting a bullet mould for a specific cartridge? 

This would be for ASSRA-style 200 yard match shooting.

Would you use a different bullet for breechseating that you would choose for shooting as fixed ammo.

IN my specific situation I have recently acquired a custom single shot in 8.15x 46r,   I have cases dies etce etc, a significant quantity of 4759.  I have the 180 gr stop ring bullet mould Buffalo arms sells. but I'm interested in a more conventional bullet for breach seating.  

There is such a plethora of bullets in use----even just at the EG range---custom designs from custom makers as well as old antique moulds, designs, and bullets that I sort of figure that much of the selection is based on qualitative rather than quantitative criteria. 
I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a semi-rational efficient method for arriving at a starting mould choice?
I know that with the EG range wind conditions, that stability, using a long/heavy for bore size BC ratio bullet might work better and that slightly tapered bullets breech more easily.   But other than that is seems pretty much a crap-shoot to me.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: bullet selection
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Three calibers long and 1-2 thousandths over groove is a good place to be. For me a cylindrical bullet has always preformed better than a tapered, two diameter or base band bullet in regards to being more consistent and providing smaller group. Spitzers by experiance seem to multiply the errors / the out shots go further out of the group. I am now using a cylindrical flat nosed bullet, a design I always shyed away from due to more wind drift and I am finding the drift close to being the same as the spitzer and I don't seem to hold off any further. It has become the best bullet of choice to date and believe me I have tried them all. The barrel is a 15 twist and the bullet only weighs 195grs. It is backwards thinking for the times but it sure does work extremely well for me. Maybe the old timers had it right after all these years. The bottom line is it might still be a crap shoot but the odds might be more in your favor?

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
I've studied bullets for BSing for 28 years. The ones that do best are tappered. They do best (IMO) is because they BS with less distortion.

The successful tappered bullets have the nose at close to bore diameter with the first band .001 - .003 larger than bore dia. and increasing at various increaments to anywhere from groove size to as much as .003 over groove dia. i.e. In a 32 caliber (.315 bore, .321 groove) 6 band bullet, the first 2 bands might be .317, the next 2 .319, fifth .321, base band .322/.323 or they could have a straight tapper from .316 to .322 base band or, anywhere inbetween. The key is getting the first band started inline with the bore and the rest of the bands to follow with the base band sealing the groove. The less tapper the greater the force that it takes to BS the bullet and  the more distortion can occure.

The things that your looking for where BSed or fixed is to get the bullet into the barrel straight and undistorted. Stop ring bullets maybe traditional for European Schuetzen rifles but, getting that stop ring swaged down  (even if the fore part of the bullet fits the rifling) to groove dia. while the rear of the bullet is unsupported, can't be the best thing to do. Some of the stop rings are as much as .010 - .015 over groove size. I think a good fitting bore riding bullet would be better for fixed and they will shoot well BSed, too.

The bad thing about the 8.15x46R is the groove size runs between .314 and .321 and I've seen very few .321 grooved rifles. More common is the + - .316 (mine is .303 bore/.316 groove) so, molds are hard to come by. I use the 1.05 long 311413 that casts .303 at the nose and .313 on the bands in 25/1 and I reamed the GC to a .318 base band.

Frank
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2013 at 4:42pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Contiued........

The best thing to do is slug it and check the twist (mine is 14.2). If the twist is 14.2, I'd suggest contacting Steve Brooks a and have him make a tappered bullet 1.06 to 1.10 long for it. Because the throat is long on these rifles, I'd suggest a base band .002 over groove and make the first band .002 over bore.

For bands, I'd suggest .050 min. to .100 max and grooves .040 to .080 wide. Go any wider on the bands and it will be prone to leading.

As far as the nose shape goes, 3 to 4 caliber ogive spitzers are what most of the serious shooter are using but, accuracy can be had with most any shape but, the bullet get to the target with less velocity lost with a spitzer.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Agree with everything Frank said,........ except, in my .316 GD German barrel, a .321 tapered bullet shoots best with no leading. Same with stop ring bullets loaded fixed. (lead bullets).

Have found with my rifle that if a lead bullet fits close in a fired case neck, it will shoot accurate with no leading. My rifle has the early version 8.15X46R chamber. 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
This is a relatively modern american ASSRA offhand rifle built on a modified Ruger action in a euroschuetzen style rather than an original european made one.  I like the euro-schuetzens a lot but also have a weakness for the ruger singleshots so this is a delightful compromise
I do not know the barrel Mfg, but the owner who had it built (now deceased) was known for using top drawer components.  I'm assuming it is one of the better grade USA standard barrels.
It is away right now having a properly fitted breech seater created.  Once I get it back I'll do a Cerro-safe bore and throat cast and have a better grasp of what I have to work with.  I tested it quickly with 4 rounds using reloaded but un-resized cases from a previous original 8.115x46r rifle I owned and I determined that it has a tight chamber compared to the previous one.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
If your groove diameter is .321, use tapered Pope style bullets. The Saeco 32 molds are very good for the price. 

My method to find the best bullet in a given rifle is to try a lot of different bullets till you find one that works best.
Never liked making rocket science out of it. Tapered bullets have always worked best for me. 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
DW look at what the winners and the record setters then and now were using and copy what they do / did and you can't go wrong. Especially several of those set 30+ years ago that have yet to be beat.

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
I know of at least one shooter who was building his rifle with a standard .32 cal barrel and chambering it with an 8.15 X 46R reamer.  You'll really have to slug that bore.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 9:31am
Print Post  
"DW look at what the winners and the record setters then and now were using and copy what they do / did and you can't go wrong"

I agree in principle, however  .  .  .    the sort of begs the question since there is the problem of the guns themselves being a variable.  what works well in yours or Harry Pope's,   may or may not work in mine.

What I'm getting at in this thread is that neither I nor many other of our shooters can afford for buy a whole bunch of molds searching for the cast steel needle in the haystack.   I'm hoping for some general principles and guidelines in winnowing the incredible selection of molds (even just in nominal .32 cal) down to a workable few.   It seem like every Tom, Adolph, and Harry cooked up his own design over the years--to fit his own rifles bore with the powders he had available at the time.

I know the modern 32 cal bench shooters are using different designs, still breech seating, with the modern short cases and fast powder----and getting 250-10x grade accuracy out of the combination  (of course the shooter has a huge amount to do with it---but still the bullet/bore/powder combination is working)

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Jul 20th, 2013 at 9:31am:

What I'm getting at in this thread is that neither I nor many other of our shooters can afford for buy a whole bunch of molds searching for the cast steel needle in the haystack.   I'm hoping for some general principles and guidelines in winnowing the incredible selection of molds (even just in nominal .32 cal) down to a workable few.   It seem like every Tom, Adolph, and Harry cooked up his own design over the years--to fit his own rifles bore with the powders he had available at the time.

Hi,

Everyone who has responded has given excellent advice.  One can't go far wrong with a conservative design as long as the bullet is the proper length (and weight) for the rifle's twist rate.

A conservative design is similar to the David Mos "Standard" bullet, which is a slightly tapered, five band bullet with an approximate 3R ogive.

For a 14 twist, .320/.312, six-groove  Shilen barrel, my bullet is .3225" on the base band and tapers to .3180" at the base of the ogive.  It casts at 211 grains using 20/1 alloy. 

While it lacks the panache of a 6R spitzer, it remains an elegant, reliable design.

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
All to often there are those that get caught up in the need to have a high BC bullet. It in itself has nothing to do with extrodinary accuracy. Depending on the circumstances it can actually become very detrimental. I am in agreement with Jack Huges with the use of the conservative approach, it is giving me the consistency that I have been searching to achieve for the last 13 years. Bottom line DW it is never an easy decision to make, if you can get your hands on some try bullets from friends that would probably be the least exspensive and productive approach and I would also urge you not to shy away from trying those not so cool 3 dia. long cylindrical flat nose bullets. If am distorting my cylindrical bullets while breach seating them as was a posted concern it must be real good thing to do even though that is not really happening in my case. The entire body of the bullet just has no choice other than to be central to bore if pushed in straight, and the distortion from the bullet bumping up becomes very minimal. Try to picture what happens to a tapered bullet when it bumps up to fill the grooves of which dramaticaly changes its original form as well as shortens in length as it becomes cylindrical. Then there is that long unsuppoted pointed nose that provides those extremely high BC's, now try to picture what happens to it!
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2013 at 2:10pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
There is really no "magic" to match grade bullets. Barrels and bullets are a product of dimensions (even with Pope and Smith barrels). Good barrels (meaning undamaged and straight), mounted w/o external incumberance (as in Ruger) and good quality (well cast) tapered bullets will shoot well. As long as you match the throat to the base band (seal) and get the BSing depth right.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Frank I agree there is no majic in match grade bullets and or barrels. The majic takes place when one finds that elusive combination of the right bullet for the barrel and that perfect combination of seating depth, powder and primer. If you can find it in one lifetime you have reached ultimate success and your bullets now create one unlarged hole and it is now time to take up Golf. The road to shooting small groups and or high scores is just not as simple as you make it out to 
be. The combinations one has to try to get there are endless and no matter what you may have working pretty good now it can always be improved upon to take you to yet a higher level. The there is the nut behind the gun to complicate the entire process as it is a real struggle to maintain exacting human mechanics for each and every shot while in that search of the majic.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 20th, 2013 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
I don't disagree with you in taking accuracy to the highest level but, Wayne was asking about how to select a bullet that would supply accuracy and not the load behind it or how to improve his shooting skills. I believe he wants to just buy one bullet mold that he can develope into a competive combination instead of buying this mold or that and then shelving them to buy yet another one.

As for bullets, it's better to get one that will "fit" the barrel to start with so you can have more confidence to starting your load developement. 

It's much easier and cheaper to buy powder, primers, lube and alloy than buy a custom mold.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint