Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Annealing Machine? (Read 15107 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Annealing Machine?
Jul 13th, 2013 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Being retired and having some time, am thinking about purchasing one of the fancy automated case annealing machines and offer annealing as a service for $0.10/case plus shipping. What do you think? Is there enough demand that one could get paid back for the machine? Would take something on the high side of 10,000 cases to pay off the machine, which would be the main thing I would be after.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Re: Annealing Machine?
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2013 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
You KNOW there is a demand for it when you see folks build their own!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Buy one and lots of your friends will want to borrow it. When it comes back the propain tank will be empty and they will complain that it dosen't work as well as they thought it should. Pay for it don't make me laugh. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 11:09am
Print Post  
LOL....... Lord Polonius certainly got it right when he stated...... 'neither a borrower nor lender be......' They can borrow my time on the machine for $0.10/case or purchase their own. Wink

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Before you invest in the machine,

I just did 360 38/55 cases.  Propane Torch in the shop lights out. Each one dropped base first in a deep 1/4 inch socket rotated with a power screwdriver. Right color all round tipped the case out into a bucket of water at my feet. Time to heat and anneal real fast, most of the labor is picking up the empty case inserting into the socket then dropping it out. Two hand motions per case 2nd one just a tip out. 

Meachum sells a similar arrangement to my deep throat 1/4 inch drive socket. His is purpose built for individual cartridges and could be a better choice for some calibers. Total investment if using Torch Socket and Power screwdriver you already have=zero

Machines have to be loaded and unloaded ones I have seen are too big to tip out the hot case. May be more labor than doing the job with a power screwdriver. Could be wrong never seen one in person but. Seems to me the machines are expensive solutions looking for a problem.

Would I have paid 36 dollars plus two way shipping to have it done ? doubt it.

Boats

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 11:55am
Print Post  
The market for the machines is more the AR "rattle 'em off" crowd who prep their case-batches by the thousand or two.. or three.
Something to be said for bagging up 3000 thrice-fired .223 cases in a Priority Mail box, and getting them back annealed, cleaned, decapped, and tumbled in stainless shot a week or two later for .10 a round.

If was cranking of that kind of volume, you bet yer arse I would either buy the machine, or send 'em out to be done!

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Paul - who is doing all that for $0.10/case? I'll have to send them mine Wink as I could not compete. Am only talking about the annealing end of things. 

boats - am using a 3/4" x 3/8" copper reducing union and piece of 6" long 3/8" dowel in my electric drill with a propane torch for my annealing at the moment. Only difference seems to be that I drop my annealed case into a cardboard box rather than a bucket of water.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
It could be that I misremember that price quote... or it was from long enough ago that .10 each was a more princely sum Wink

Get two annealers, a bunch of buckets, 20 lbs of stainless shot, and two Harbor Freight cement mixers to use as tumblers...
Then charge .20 each.  I'll bet you'd have a steady stream of customers.
Of course, that's starting to sound like work!

IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Hey, watch your language!  Let's not have any unpleasant four letter words ending in 'k' here.   Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Hate to admit it but that lot of 360 38/55 Cases ? 2nd Anneal job they have had. Last one was 20 years ago. Had a case neck split running the M Die in. Thought it might be time.  Started as a 500 lot of W-W sized the others down to 32/40 still on the first Anneal with those. 

Lot depends on how much working the brass gets. Difference in Fired to re-loaded in that 38/55 is only .002

Boats

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
And if you breech-seat you whole collection of brass may be 2 or 3 rounds.   Shocked

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Annealing Machine
Reply #11 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
That would be my case as well CW so I wouldn't have a need for the service.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jul 14th, 2013 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
True my 140 out of that lot reserved for 32/40 120 have only been fired with a few sub sonic gallery loads. 20 reserved for B/S. Most of the time use 3 or 4 in a Hudson match, switching off when the primer pockets get real dirty. 

Amazing how long we can shoot these rifles on the same brass.

Boats

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 15th, 2013 at 7:59am
Print Post  
Indeed. Shooting BPCR I've yet to split a case. Had one case-head separate in 10K+ rounds. I pretty much look at the outside of the case mouth to decide when to anneal. If it is hard enough that the case gets dirty then it is time to anneal. The only deviation to that is with new brass, which I always anneal from the start.

GTalk  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 15th, 2013 at 8:03am
Print Post  
SSS agree on the Starline although I am going through my new lot of 250 40/65's fire forming all then will anneal and final trim to length.

Only real case separation problem I have ever had in SS cases was with 45/70's that had canalures rolled in. Few separated at the grove causing all sorts of Trapdoor problems.   

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint