Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Frying Fish and Casting Bullets (Read 1538 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Frying Fish and Casting Bullets
Jul 1st, 2013 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Casting and cooking this weekend. Made me think

General advice when you fry fish is get the oil hot, drop a tiny piece of the batter center of the pan, if it sizzles, start cooking. Only thing is the oil gets hot center of the pan first, sides of a heavy cast iron pan much cooler. Drop in couple pounds of cold fillets they drop the temperature considerably and you end up with greasy fish.   

Experienced cook brings the heat up slower lets every thing get good and hot, so there is some reserve heat in the mass of the frying pan to counter the cold fish, and drops the fillets in one at a time slowly. Golden brown not greasy at all.

Casting exactly the same way. Lead thermometer may say 700 or 800 degrees but is everything else hot ?  My gas furnace weighs probably 40 pounds 20 lbs of lead few fire bricks in front of the open face 75 pounds of mass that needs to be hot before it's going to throw nice bullets. Not to mention the mold needs to be hot same time.

Go slow bring all up to nice and hot you get bullets with a very small reject rate. Even with 90 degree ambient temperature this weekend I let the pot sit 30 minutes or more with the mold on the furnace's shelf before starting to cast.  6 rejects slow to cut the sprue and throw, bring the mold up nice and hot then all good ones. 

Boats

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Frying Fish and Casting Bullets
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Good comparison. 
Hotter center of pan and pot with cooler outer near the sides, same convection currents.
Slow rising heat, more uniform temp throughout.
Larger capacity, more heat reserve.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
When the pot is up to temp and the mould has been sitting on the shelf pre-heating, dip and hold the bottom front corner of the mould into the lead for 20 seconds and you won't have the need to cast and dispose of bullets to bring the mould up to the correct casting temp. as was recommended with the purchase of a B&D Mould on the included instruction sheet. It works exceptionally well with all moulds.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
John you can dip the corner and if a small or electric pot that's probably what I would do. I put my Iron molds in front of my furnaces front opening. It's not a bullet casting specific furnace. 3 jet furnace out of a school shop with a melting pot on top. Front end is open with a shelf I close it up with a fire brick.  Slide the brick back just a bit to allow end of the mold sit were it's hot, real hot.I use one Aluminum LBT mold that dipping would concern me, may warp it.  May not.

Cast first 6 and throw all away is just my routine most of the 6 would probably be good bullets.

Other thing about casting not sure novices understand is pace.  When you pour leaving the dipper touching the mold for a brief period say 3 or 4 seconds helps fill out. Waiting a bit longer before knocking the sprue off makes it come off cleaner too. Holding off just a bit before opening lets the bullets fall out nice and easy, no knocking.

Go too fast things slow down.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint