Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Maynard 1882 Reloading Tool (Read 6249 times)
creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Maynard 1882 Reloading Tool
Jul 1st, 2013 at 6:32am
Print Post  

The illustrated 1882 Bullet Seater tool is seen often with cased Maynards as follows;

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Will someone with Maynard experience please explain the operation that the subject tool is designed to perform.  What is the purpose of the "tapered flat" and what does the crescent "cut out " at the base accomplish?

This is not a breech seater, but rather, for used in assembling fixed ammunition with cast lead bullets.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Re: Maynard 1882 Reloading Tool
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 6:49am
Print Post  
C M M 

Thanks for the clear link to the very clear photos. I am not able to help you, but I am looking forward to the answers.

ron

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
I believe you start with a charged, primed cartridge case which is sitting on a flat surface, put a bullet in the mouth of the case, push the tool over the assembly and down as far as possible.  Then you grab the rim that sticks away from the cutouts and pull the finished cartridge out.

No adjustment exists for varying seating depth or accommodating changes in bullet designs, obviously.

It would be interesting to know whether the chamber in the tool had a sizing or crimping shoulder to fix the bullet in place after seating or whether it just seats the bullet to the proper depth in the case.

IP Logged

Captain Bob

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Keep in mind that the 1882 Maynards were generally chambered for the standard style cartridges by then in vogue - 25-20 SS, 38-55, 45-70, etc. - which had rims just somewhat larger than the diameter of the shell itself. Removal of the loaded cartridge from the loading tool could become a problem since these shells did not have the over large rims which the percussion and 1873 model shells had. So we see the tapered cut on opposing sides of the 1882 loading tools which allowed fingers to grasp the shells smaller diameter rims. The circular cut is a natural result of cutting the tapers across a portion of the tool “chamber”. Additionally these cuts make it easier to put a second tool edge like a screwdriver blade or knife back against the cartridge rim in the event that the shell is more difficult to remove. Additionally we usually see a hole in the palm end of the ‘73 and ‘82 loaders through which a stout wire could be inserted to dislodge a bullet in the event that it might get stuck in the tool and not be withdrawn by the shell. Interestedly in the case of my original .36 percussion loading tool this hole is not through the palm area but comes in at an angle just ahead of the bullet location from the narrow area of the tool, which of course is not caliber marked and does not have taper cuts. As to the question of crimping in these tools, well aware of the collectors’ admonition to never say never, I feel it is highly unlikely. First there is the potential problem mentioned above of extracting the completed cartridge from the tool. Second these tools were  used to load rounds for a single shot rifle and crimping was required largely for cartridges to be used in multiple shot firearms to prevent cartridges for coming apart under recoil.

Bob

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
The Model 1873 tools had a cylindrical body (no base cuts) because the wide 1873-type rims provided a way to extract the loaded cartridge. The Model 1882 tools were otherwise identical, but had the base cut on both sides so the reloader could grip the thinner 1882-type rim to extract the loaded cartridge. The crescent cuts are simply the result of making the base cuts deep enough to enable grabbing the rim of the case.

The top of these Maynard tools were stamped with pertinent information - like caliber, powder charge, and "P" (patched bullet) or "G" (grooved bullet). They came with a hardwood base disc to isolate the primer when seating the bullet. I understand that each Maynard bullet-seating tool was perfectly matched to a specific Maynard rifle and that the tools were reamed with the same tool that chambered the rifle. Just because you find a random .38-50 tool doesn't mean that it will work with with brass from your .38-50 rifle.

...couple of Maynard tools on the right (no crimping shoulder in either):
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2013 at 5:16pm by xtimberman »  

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 9:10pm
Print Post  

Thank you gentlemen (all) for a very informative answer concerning the ways and means by which the early Maynard owners and operators went about the task of reloading their ammunition.

I greatly appreciate your time and your information.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 6:29am
Print Post  
Quote:
They came with a hardwood base disc to isolate the primer when seating the bullet. 

Are the "hardwoods base discs" which you show in your photo the original discs furnished my Mass. Arms Co. or are they contemporary replacements for misplaced or lost discs?

Is there any one or more specific person/s that you are aware of who deals in selling Maynard factory reloading tools and implements to collectors and shooters ?

C.M.M.

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Are the "hardwoods base discs" which you show in your photo the original discs furnished my Mass. Arms Co. or are they contemporary replacements for misplaced or lost discs?

Is there any one or more specific person/s that you are aware of who deals in selling Maynard factory reloading tools and implements to collectors and shooters ?
C.M.M.

Those discs are new replacements. Someone with access to woodworking equipment made those for me last Christmas...Nice Gift!! 

I used to see those Maynard tools at large gun shows, but haven't spotted one around here for 10 years or more....outside the big Wanemaker's gun show in Tulsa. Two or three visits to that Tulsa gun show will produce almost any doo-dad or tool. 

I used to buy any I spotted - even if I didn't need 'em - so I could hopefully trade into one I needed later. With some time, patience, and diligence, I bet you could find some of those tools on ebay or gunbroker.

Which cartridge/tools are you looking for? Which bases?

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 7:31am
Print Post  
Quote:

That being, Mass Arms never produced a 1873 style Maynard rifle in the .32-40 WCF cartridge, at least not for the general public consumption.
Regards,
C.M.M.

Please allow me to make the following clarification/s;

1) Mass Arms never catalogued or produced a true 1873 style Maynard rifle chambered for the .32-40 "Dish Pan"  ('73) head style case to fit an unconverted or unmodified '73 head space gaped rifle.

2) I am aware that Mass Arms Co. accommodated many requests from customers to accomplish non-standard configurations, which requests are undocumented in existing Mass Arms Co. records/literature.
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2013 at 8:25am by »  

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Quote:

Originals of Mass Arms tools would fit well into my period Ideal tool collection, however, there is one difficulty.

That being, Mass Arms never produced a 1873 style Maynard rifle in the .32-40 WCF cartridge, at least not for the general public consumption.

Regards,
C.M.M.

Technically they did. I've seen several .32-40 M-1873s sporting barrels numbered to the action that had been Mass. Arms factory-converted to 1882-type cases using the Sleeving Method to reduce that gap to accomodate the thinner rim - (like the #16 I posted photos of elsewhere). Those .32-40 barrels may have started life as .32-35s, but the benefits of the longer case was certainly apparent to shooters in the latter years of the Mass. Arms factory, and Mass. Arms was certainly customer-friendly in adapting their customers' old 1873s to 1882-type cases.

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Quote:

Technically they did. I've seen several .32-40 M-1873s sporting barrels numbered to the action that had been Mass. Arms factory-converted to 1882-type cases using the Sleeving Method to reduce that gap to accomodate the thinner rim - 

Let me help you to understand what I have said. 

My Maynard is a 1873 rifle, with the original '73 Head Space gap, that shoots a 32-40 "Dish Pan" (i.e. 1873) cartridge case.  The rifle has not been converted to the 1882 "Thin Head" case as your comments have assumed.

That is an important distinction for a reader to grasp, in order for the information I have provided to fall into place.

I appreciate your time and comments, so I hope this minor misunderstanding has been explained sufficiently.

Should you have further questions about my individual Maynard, please communicate with me about that using the P.M. feature.

Regards,
C.M.M.

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 9:23am
Print Post  
You stuck another post in there while I stepped away to eat my oatmeal and banana.......   Smiley

Sent you a PM

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint