Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I love/hate pan lubing, so now I dip (Read 14557 times)
shovel80
Oldtimer

Re: I love/hate pan lubing, so now I dip
Reply #30 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
I do 100 at a time usually...I use a cookie sheet large enough to fit two lyman loading blocks inside of. I put the bullets in order of cast into the loading blocks nose first, put the cookie sheet upside down onto the bases of the bullets, and carefully hole it all together and turn it over, I have dropped them before! I melt the lube on the stove with a home made double boiler and then pour the melted lube into the cookie sheet just up to filling the highest lube groove. I wait long enough for the lube to cool off quite a bit, but Not completely. With the lube just a little soft still, I pull the bullets up from the lube with just a little wiggle and they are completely filled. Then I just use a wooden spatula and cut and pick up the lube and put it back into a 3 quart pickle jar with a lid...
works good for me...I thought about a lubersizer, but, haven't found one at the right price."Used" to buy yet...maybe some day??

Terry Smiley

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #31 - Jun 27th, 2013 at 7:37am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jun 26th, 2013 at 2:49pm:
I can't imagine anything easier and cleaner than Pan Lubing so I must ask what means and methods were you fellows now dipping using that made it a difficult and or unpleasant task? I do a 100 bullets at time and never come in contact with any lube.

To easily remove the bullets one must mix the lube to make the bullets easy to push out or cut out (with specifically sized tool).

By dipping I don't need the extra tool to cut it out (using the push through to either strip excess off and/or slightly size.

Also I don't have to mix the lube of the consistancy to remove the bullet but can adjust it for other reasons shuch as handling, lube characteristics or accuracy.

Also it reduces frustration as the bullets won't tip over.  When I knock one over in the liquid lube it's not just ONE but usually 3 or 5 more with it.  OK, call me clumsy.

If you've got a system of pan lubing that works, don't change it.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

zrifleman
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
CW---Thanks for sharing the pics of dipping and using a push thru die. I personally think this method is by far the best way to lube and size. I can't figure out why more guys aren't on board with this method? Pan lubing is messy and time consuming. I dip and size for all my BPCR and muzzleloaders. A buddy of mine made an adapter that is 1 1/4-12 and fits presses that have a flanged nut. The adapter uses lubrisizer dies.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #33 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Quote:
CW---Thanks for sharing the pics of dipping and using a push thru die. I personally think this method is by far the best way to lube and size. I can't figure out why more guys aren't on board with this method? Pan lubing is messy and time consuming. I dip and size for all my BPCR and muzzleloaders. A buddy of mine made an adapter that is 1 1/4-12 and fits presses that have a flanged nut. The adapter uses lubrisizer dies.

Pan lubing IS OK.  But I like this method better.

Since the RCBS Rock Chucker handles both thread sized I'm making such an adapter as well.

I'd love to see a sketch of his design or pictures.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Powder contamination/wads stuck to bullets??

I shoot almost exclusively BP and have often noticed wads stuck to bullet bases if I didn't put a slip of wax paper on top of the wad. Really kills accuracy when they drop off at different point during flight. Do you scrape the bullet bases or what?

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Sorry Gents - I am a die hard pan luber and here is my record of 200 with no break of the lube cake ...
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #36 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
I don't use a wad - I'm using a 3/4" square of paper towel - which is consumed (over 10-11 gr of Unique behind 300-350gr bullet).

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #37 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Sorry Gents - I am a die hard pan luber and here is my record of 200 with no break of the lube cake ...

Good job!  No apology needed.  You've got a system that WORKS!  Don't change it.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #38 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 8:09am
Print Post  
I am a died in the wool pan luber. For me pan lubing is the best way to lube it fills the grooves with no voids in the densest possible way. It is much superior and less messy than pump lubing and a lot faster. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint