Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I love/hate pan lubing, so now I dip (Read 14546 times)
Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Re: I love/hate pan lubing, so now I dip
Reply #15 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 7:08am
Print Post  
ssdave wrote on Jun 25th, 2013 at 11:52pm:
I sure don't like pan lubing.  I dip also.  A lot less messy the way I do it, but I don't know that it's THE way.

I use a precision lab hotplate to hold temp, just above melting.  I use a shallow, small can filled to nearly the top with lube.  I think it came from canned green chili, and holds maybe 4 ounces.  I hold the bullet by the nose and dip it in, pull it out, dip again to fill the grooves completely.  Then, I wipe the bullet base clean on a wax paper sheet on a smooth piece of formica covered board.   Line up the bullets on one side of the wax paper, and you can keep them in order cast if that makes you happy.

Then, I take a cartridge case sized to a slip fit, push the bullet in, and it cuts off the excess lube.  Wipe it off with your finger back into the melting pot, pull the bullet back out of the case, and place the bullet into the plastic or styrofoam tray from a box of pistol bullets.  Ready to load.  Probably takes about 5 to 8 seconds each to dip, wipe and line up the bullets, and another few seconds to cut lube, wipe, and put in a tray.  Fastest and easiest way I have found to lube, and least messy.  And, never drop a pan of bullets.  When I'm done, I use a putty knife, scrape off the excess lube I wiped on the wax paper, and put it back in the can.  Put the can in a zip lock bag to keep it clean for next time. No mess, no waste, and fast and easy.  Doesn't get much better than that!

dave

I don't have but the $3 hot plate so I use a larger container to buffer the temperature, but I LIKE the idea of a lab-quality hot plate.

Good ideas on sequencing and storage - part of my dislike of tumble lubing is the damage by tumbling.

By putting onto the aluminum sheet you can squeeze most of the lube off the bottom by how you put it down, and it STICKS.  I even turned the 350 gr bullets in the pan upside down.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #16 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 7:10am
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Jun 25th, 2013 at 11:59pm:
I've thought of giving that a try to see if I like it.  How often does a bullet slip out of the grasp of the tweezers and into the can of hot lube?

Thanks,

Chris.

I use the 8" straight hemostats.  GOOD grip, minimal (if any) marking of the bullet.  Haven't had one drop yet.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #17 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 7:15am
Print Post  
joeb33050 wrote on Jun 26th, 2013 at 5:05am:
BTW, your bullet bases have holes/voids/ripouts. Don't be in a rush and don't open that sprue plate so fast. I have other hints.
joe b.

The bullets actually have a VERY small (in depth) 'ripout'.  It just LOOKS much worse in the pictures because of them being filled with lube contrasting in color.

Variation in weight for the 350 gr bullets is still under +/- 1 grain.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 7:22am
Print Post  
Quote:
Amazing. Shocked

Joe.

If not truly AMAZING Shocked

C.M.M.

IP Logged

Mal

Reply #19 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 7:25am
Print Post  
G'day,
         I use a similar system to SS DAVE , have found the best twessers are jewellers , they open when you squeeze them and lock on to the bullet real good, I melt the lube in the Microwave, use a small ramekin with a built in handle, I use Emmerets, or White Lighting, both work well with this method , I found an artists pallet knife works a treat to remove the excess lube from the bullet base as well as the excess from the wax paper. I made a slip fit case up like a push breach seater cleans off the  excess lube a treat. Justs my two bobs worth.

Kind Regards Mal. in Aus.

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 7:41am
Print Post  
The little device pictured holds the bullet very securely, is easy to use and does not mark the bullet. I believe I bought it from ebay several years ago. 

Bill

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #21 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Oooooo.  I've got a little grabber like that!  (for pointey bullets)

Wonder where you can get one?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 9:12am
Print Post  
I have always dipped bullets for BP rifles. I don't normally size anything---they work better as-cast for me.
Fred

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #23 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Mal wrote on Jun 26th, 2013 at 7:25am:
G'day,
         I use a similar system to SS DAVE , have found the best twessers are jewellers , they open when you squeeze them and lock on to the bullet real good, I melt the lube in the Microwave, use a small ramekin with a built in handle, I use Emmerets, or White Lighting, both work well with this method , I found an artists pallet knife works a treat to remove the excess lube from the bullet base as well as the excess from the wax paper. I made a slip fit case up like a push breach seater cleans off the  excess lube a treat. Justs my two bobs worth.

Kind Regards Mal. in Aus.

Mal - 

Thanks!  (New word of the day.)

▸ noun:  a small fireproof dish used for baking and serving individual portions
▸ noun:  a cheese dish made with bread and egg crumbs that is baked and served in individual fireproof dishes

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
I have pan lubed in the past but only when using "as cast" bullets. What is the advantage of any method over a lubrisizer if the bullets are to be sized?

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #25 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
SchwarzStock wrote on Jun 26th, 2013 at 1:01pm:
I have pan lubed in the past but only when using "as cast" bullets. What is the advantage of any method over a lubrisizer if the bullets are to be sized?

SS

Pan/dip method allows one to use a minimal 'sizing' with a push-through.  But even if one sizes more than that with push through there is less mnipulaiton of the bullet - pushing it through (one direction only) vs in a sizer (which sometimes I like to clean up some bulllts).

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
I can't imagine anything easier and cleaner than Pan Lubing so I must ask what means and methods were you fellows now dipping using that made it a difficult and or unpleasant task? I do a 100 bullets at time and never come in contact with any lube.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
With John on this one, hard to imagine anything better than pan lube. I hand lube Minne balls, since it's a different lube and I don't do many, is a real mess.

Goes like this

Dedicated small frying pan with a close fitting lid. Leave the lube in it all the time, store in the shops old refrigerator. Probably 40 degrees

Ready to lube pull the pan out and heat lube to liquid with a heat gun. Set 50 bullets on bases (my pan is a small one) Knock one over pick it up with a pair of forceps, hot lube runs right off down to fluid level. You could use a double  boiler however no hot plate in the shop heat gun is safe and right at hand. I clamp the handle in a wood cabinet makers clamp don't stand there and hold it

Lid on let it cool.  Depending on ambient temperature may put the solidified pan back in the Fridge to cool it down faster. Lid keeps bugs and trash out of the mix, should I get a flash fire best way to extinguish is put a lid on.

Pop the cake out, built in draft of the frying pan makes it drop easy, push bullets out with my thumb. If the unlubed bullets went into the pan when lube was nice and hot they sat flat on the pans bottom and bases don't need to be wiped.  Nothing to wipe off the noses either if I ran the melted lube level right. You can raise the level by adding a small pig of lead or add more lube. Too high fewer bullets.

Melt cool down and pop out cycle may be a hour or so only  a few minutes actually doing something. Make lubing a shop job done while performing other task. Couple of hundred takes 4 cycles. Could cut it in half with a larger pan, way I lube while doing other jobs no need to increase production

Boats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
I use a double boiler and turn it on prior to a 100 bullet casting session so that the lube is ready to pour when I am done. After a visual inspection etc. the bullets go into a 50 cartridge polystyrene box. My lube pan is 8"X8", I put two cartridge boxes / 100 bullets in the palm of my hand, sit the pan on top of them and simply roll it over. I now have the bullet standing up right when I remove the cartridge boxes. When the lube has cooled I stand the lube cake on end then partialy push out one bullet in each corner of 50. Then slip each cartridge container onto the partially exposes bullets then simply lay the cake down and push the remaining bullets into their now oriented holes and walla a 100 bullets in the order cast ready for the range.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #29 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
John -  NEAT technique for keeping them in sequence!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint