Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) where to buy bullets? (Read 8507 times)
firearmdoc

where to buy bullets?
Jun 18th, 2013 at 6:08am
Print Post  
I am new to shuetzen shooting and do not cast my own bullets yet. I am looking for a place to buy cast bullets that I can BS. I have a 38-55 with an18 twist barrel, so I am thinking that it would have to be about 300gr or less.
Any advice or direction is appreciated.
Edit.... it is a. 375 bore dia if that helps

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Re: where to buy bullets?
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 7:02am
Print Post  

Welcome Mr. Firearm-Doc to the A.S.S.R.A. web Forum.

I would like to recommend the Montana Bullet Works which is owned and operated by David Jennings.  I don't have his contact information with me, but you will find it with a Google search.

Of course, there are other such sources and during the course of the day others here will be providing such information to assist you.

You will find that bullet casting is a project unto its self and by casting lead bullets on your terms, you will be in control of the results that are desired for your particular firearm/s.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 7:12am
Print Post  

Firearms-Doc :

Here is the selection of plain base, cast lead, lube cannelured bullets that M.B.W. offers starting at 225 Grains up to 365 Grains weight.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Hope one of these will work out for you.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 8:07am
Print Post  
You might also try John Olsen at Big Sky Components. He is in Miles City, MT at 406-853-0196. Several folks shooting his bullets did well at the Quigley match over the past week.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Stay away from hard cast and look for a lead and tin only alloy.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Leo1885

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Try: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 10:56am
Print Post  
firearmdoc
Welcome to the schuetzen game.
Buying bullets is a good way to get started shooting without having to set up for bullet casting. You might consider:
Bullets by Bennett
3738 Ghent Hill Road
Ulster, PA 18850
Phone: 570-867-0801
His bullets are swaged with a knurled surface to hold the lube. They shot well in one of my rifles. He makes a .375 and you can specify the weight you want.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

firearmdoc

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies. I was looking into Montana Bullet Works, so I will give them a call and see what they can do for me. I will probably call the other outfits as well since you never know what will work best.

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 7:02am
Print Post  
   Fire Arms Doc --

Montana Bullet Works is a family business conducted by the Jennings family.  David is a stay at home worker doing bullet casting, while Mrs. Jennings is a go to work lady outside of the home.

I have found that for orders, the best and quickest approach is inter-net orders.  So if you call during the day, David most likely will not answer the phone since he is in the shop casting.  Leave a message and the Mrs. will return your call in the evening.

The quality of their cast bullets is better than most and their mould selection is outstanding.  Know your bore dimensions before ordering and Dave will size your bullets to fit.

Start out with a bullet on the lighter side if you are a target shooter, as you don't want to send more lead down range that you need to in order to gain the best accuracy.

Good luck,

C.M.M.

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 7:08pm
Print Post  

Thanks for telling your experience when attempting to contact Dave Jennings at Montana Bullet Works.

I just dialed their number ( 406-655-8163 ) and received the "busy signal" that you describe.

Their web site was last updated in February 2013 so that is going on four months.  Anything is possible and I hope to find out.  They are really nice people, both to talk with and to do business with.

I am hoping that the event, whatever it may be, does not affect them personally, like a health issue most certainly would.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 6:27am
Print Post  

Fire Arm Doc --

You say that you are just starting out in schuetzen, so I am wondering if you presently have all of the typical data concerning breech seating loading and shooting at your disposal?

For instance, is your chamber throated to accept a tapered bullet?  Also, do you have a bullet seating tool designed to work in your particular rifle?

Sorry that the M.B.W. lead that I gave didn't work out, but there are certainly other vendors out there who do bullets casting.  The key is to get connected up with someone who knows schuetzen and who can advise you on bullet alloy (black vs. smokeless), etc. etc.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Reply #11 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
RSW wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 10:56am:
firearmdoc
Welcome to the schuetzen game.
Buying bullets is a good way to get started shooting without having to set up for bullet casting. You might consider:
Bullets by Bennett
3738 Ghent Hill Road

Ulster, PA 18850
Phone: 570-867-0801
His bullets are swaged with a knurled surface to hold the lube. They shot well in one of my rifles. He makes a .375 and you can specify the weight you want.

I actually tried some of these out today and they shot well in my rifle.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2013 at 7:01pm by rkaires »  

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Chey Cast Bullets in Cheyenne Wyoming may have something that would work for you.I just use them for my Pistol Bullets. Great Service!
Google them.

Terry Smiley

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 6:31am
Print Post  
shovel80 wrote on Jun 30th, 2013 at 10:13pm:
Chey Cast Bullets in Cheyenne Wyoming may have something that would work for you.I just use them for my Pistol Bullets. Great Service!
Google them.

Terry Smiley

Also used Chey when I first started with BP (pre-casting) and was pleased with their bullets/service.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint