Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Maynard cartridges (Read 14401 times)
Hank45
Oldtimer

Beer is living proof that
GOD loves you

Maynard cartridges
Jun 10th, 2013 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Can I have a list of original maynard cartridges? Hank45 Smiley

IP Logged

WillH

Re: Maynard cartridges
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2013 at 6:49am
Print Post  
Hank; I don't have a good answer for you; I doubt anyone else will have either. Maynard cartridges were many and varried as was most everything connected with Maynard. That's just one of the many reasons I am attracted to the guns. A whole book could be written on just the cartridges. You might be interested in the listings in the book "A Guide to the Maynard Breech Loader" by George Layman. Good luck.

Will

AIM  
IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2013 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Quote:
Can I have a list of original maynard cartridges? Hank45 Smiley

Hi Hank --  I will compile a list for you broken down into the 1873 version and the 1882 version of the breech piece, excluding the prior percussion cap version, which I, and most folks still consider a "cartridge".

In order to be the most help to you, please tell me what information it is you are most in need of and what is the project.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

Hank45
Oldtimer

GOD loves you

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2013 at 8:30am
Print Post  
CMM,  I have an original 1883  .22 Maynard with a ulged barrel and it dosent shoot I wish to have it lined ia a Maynad .22 black powder cartridge. Hank45 Smiley

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2013 at 9:06am
Print Post  

Hank --
            The expert found in Mr. John D. Bly, a/k/a "DeadEyeBly" would be my recommended source for the situation you are wishing to correct.

My humble suggestion would be to consider the 25-20 Single Shot, not to be confused with the 25-20 Repeater cartridge.

I shoot the 25-20 S.S. in a J. Stevens Model 44 rifle and it is an ideal cartridge for target shooting out to 200 yards.

That's not to say that the Maynard .22 Cal central fire would be inappropriate, since I don't know that it would be.  I simply have no experience with a .22 Cal central fire, whereas John Bly most likely does have such experience.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2013 at 6:15am
Print Post  
Quote:

Hank --
The gun smith who can advise you and do the work if you wanted to proceed would be John Taylor who may be found on the web at "Taylor Machine Co".  You might also speak with John Bly , who most likely does barrel work, particularly on Maynards.

C.M.M.

Hank, your initial question stated your need for someone to do remedial gun work,i.e., to save a bulged barrel.

I have only known Mr. John D. Bly for a period of several months and know that he has a full time day job in addition to his work with new made Maynard parts and components.  I was, and still am, unclear if he does or is interested in such work, not only for your application, but also for my own needs.  It is obvious to me that he knows how to do all manner of such remedial gunsmithing, but he just may not have the time to devote to such work at the present.

John Bly is highly knowledgeable and a most skilled machinist as is evident from the #3 screw he produced at my request.

No matter who does the work necessary to correct your barrel bulge, I do hope it is to your satisfaction.

C.M.M.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2013 at 7:09am by »  

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 12th, 2013 at 9:33am
Print Post  
There was a .22 Maynard centerfire cartridge that used 8 to 10 grains of black powder and a 45 grain .228 diameter bullet. The have been several modern iterations of it, the last I'm aware of is the .22 Cooper Centerfire Magnum or .22CCM. It used .224 bullets and was loaded to modern high pressures. It never caught on and died a quick death.

I've completed one barrel in .22 Maynard centerfire and I have one for myself that I have never had time to complete. I have a reamer and some brass cartridges for a .22 Varner that is close enough to be called the Maynard cartridge.

The barrel could be lined. I don't know if any .224 liners with a 14" twist are available. I'm sure your gun could be put back in working order. A standard .22 Long Rifle liner may work with the Lyman 225438 bullet with the gas check portion bored out.

IP Logged

Hank45
Oldtimer

GOD loves you

Reply #7 - Jun 12th, 2013 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Does the barrel being off set for .22 caliber bullets interefear if I want to use a center fire cartridge? Hank45 Smiley

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2013 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Stevens also offered the 22 Extra Long Centerfire in their Model 10 through 14 Tip-ups, and in the Ideal 44 action rifles.

Fiocchi supposedly supplied the 22CCM brass to Cooper, and which (except for the headstamp) is amazingly comparable to the Fiocchi Velo-dog brass.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2013 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Hank, If you have an offset bore for a .22 rimfire cartridge, then you need to stick to a .22 rimfire with a reline job. The .22 Long rifle is a wonderful cartridge in a Maynard, cheap,(well, it used to be)fun to shoot, accurate, clean up is a snap. You won't be sorry with a good reline job with one of TJ's liners.

IP Logged

Hank45
Oldtimer

GOD loves you

Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:33am
Print Post  
  to Deadeye bly, how do you know if the barrel is offset and what is the largest blackpowder caliber used by Maynard?  Hank45   Smiley

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Quote:
and what is the largest blackpowder caliber used by Maynard?  Hank45 

Answer;  .45-70 Government

C.M.M.

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #12 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Hank45 wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:33am:
..... and what is the largest blackpowder caliber used by Maynard? 

The Maynard Improved Hunter's Rifle #11 was offered in .55-100 for grooved bullets - also for the .50-70 as well as .50-50 and .50-100 in both 1873 and 1882 cartridges. I have examined several '82 #11s with heavy full-round .50-70 Govt. barrels SN-matched to the action -  all very plain working rifles, certainly not stocked for or meant for target use.

There are many #2 and #3 .64 cal. Maynard shotguns still around in both 1873 and 1882 configuration. I've never seen them listed in references, but I have run across a few loose 16ga. Maynard barrels (with an extractor) for either '73 or '82 actions. I had one in 16ga. with no SN on it at all....perhaps ordered and fitted later - or made up at the factory and never sold??   
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2013 at 11:43am by xtimberman »  

IP Logged

WillH

Reply #13 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
xtimberman wrote on Jun 15th, 2013 at 11:35am:
Hank45 wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:33am:
..... and what is the largest blackpowder caliber used by Maynard? 

The Maynard Improved Hunter's Rifle #11 was offered in .55-100 for grooved bullets - also for the .50-70 as well as .50-50 and .50-100 in both 1873 and 1882 cartridges. I have examined several '82 #11s with heavy full-round .50-70 Govt. barrels SN-matched to the action -  all very plain working rifles, certainly not stocked for or meant for target use.

There are many #2 and #3 .64 cal. Maynard shotguns still around in both 1873 and 1882 configuration. I've never seen them listed in references, but I have run across a few loose 16ga. Maynard barrels (with an extractor) for either '73 or '82 actions. I had one in 16ga. with no SN on it at all....perhaps ordered and fitted later - or made up at the factory and never sold??   

I seem to recall reading somewhere that both the 55-100 and .64-100 were offered with rifled barrels. The Layman book pictures both these cartridges with solid bullets. The 55-100 shows a bullet dia. of .553; no weight given; no specs on the .64. 

Will

AIM  
IP Logged

WillH

Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 6:01pm
Print Post  

[/quote]

What would you surmise these 'working rifles" were used for? I would think that, at least, the '73's could have gotten in on the tail end of the Buffalo trade and with the 
big .50 and .55 calibre cartgs. could have held their own with the best. If that were true, it would add another colorful chapter to an already sweet history.

Will 

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint