Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Maynard cartridges (Read 14403 times)
xtimberman

Re: Maynard cartridges
Reply #15 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
WillH wrote on Jun 15th, 2013 at 6:01pm:

What would you surmise these 'working rifles" were used for?

I believe that the period Maynard brochures stated that the #11 Hunter's Rifle was "for large and dangerous game."

I have a scanned photo of a trio of Rocky Mountain hunters with early single shot rifles. One has a Maynard #11 - the others have Gove-modified rolling blocks. I will look for it to post here when I remember where I filed it in Photobucket.

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #16 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Here it is - Maynard on the left...some serious-lookin' fellas:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Hank45
Oldtimer

Beer is living proof that
GOD loves you

Reply #17 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 6:06am
Print Post  
When Maynard came out with the larger cartridges with the #11 barrel did they change the action in any way?  Thanks Hank45  Smiley

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #18 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Hank45 wrote on Jun 16th, 2013 at 6:06am:
When Maynard came out with the larger cartridges with the #11 barrel did they change the action in any way?  Thanks Hank45  Smiley

Hank,
My own general observation after swapping a bunch of barrels back and forth from one action to the next is "No."

However.......Maynards involved a great deal of hand fitting - probably more than one would think - and some barrels just won't fit on some actions without fitting and modification of the link, etc. I'm having such a conversation with Mr. Bly right now - concerning getting a .64 shot barrel to breech up properly on a '73 action. I believe that the spacing of the two holes of the lever/barrel link of some of the larger diameter barrels (like this .64 shot example) differ slightly from that spacing of smaller diameter barrels. This is why you encounter some Maynards with levers that seem loose and others that breech-up with some difficulty or not-at-all. Slapping any ol' Maynard barrel on any ol' Maynard action and going off on your merry way to shoot may not be such a good idea....   Wink

So far, my observation has been: Even on these large diameter barrels...with a case chambered and the barrel seated in the action, the center of the primer lines right up with the tip of the firing pin. But...nothing much surprises me about Maynards - the customer was King and they would build to suit.

IP Logged

Hank45
Oldtimer

GOD loves you

Reply #19 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 10:56am
Print Post  
What are the diamentions and weight  of the #11 Maynard barrels? Thanks Hank45  Smiley

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #20 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Hank45 wrote on Jun 16th, 2013 at 10:56am:
What are the diamentions and weight  of the #11 Maynard barrels? Thanks Hank45  Smiley

That varies with the caliber and barrel length.

I have a full-round 32" .40-70 Maynard barrel for a #10 that tapers from ~1.06" at the breech to ~.950" at the muzzle. I just sat it on my digital kitchen scale and it weighs 7.3#.

I acquired this 1873 action and stock to make up into a dedicated .64 cal. shotgun with an un-numbered like-new barrel and lever that came along with another Maynard rifle. The .40-70 barrel previously-mentioned (shown here above the action and buttstock) can be mated with this action to make a .40 cal. #10. This whole rifle weighs 10.4# on that same scale.

This full-round tube makes it into a somewhat unwieldy, barrel-heavy field piece. I see now why the fella in the old photo holds his in the crook of his arm. It's definitely not a target barrel because it has a 1 in 25" twist - something more appropriate to stabilize a short conical bullet meant for a hunting rifle. The balance point of a rifle with this .40 cal. barrel mounted is well forward of the action as Mrs. xtm illustrates here:

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #21 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Here is a pre-digital era photo scan of some of the Maynards I had in the early 1980s - long-gone except for the bottom one. I show this photo because the top rifle, a #14 had a 32" full-round .44-100 barrel which was considerably lighter than the .40-70 barrel with similar external dimensions. This #14 rifle weighed in at legal "Creedmoor" weight, below 10# - even though it was stocked with a substantial chunk of dense figured walnut. I fired it a bit once I found an appropriate sight and some cases.....and it was a BRUTAL kicker on the bench - even with that wide shotgun buttplate. Not for the fainthearted. I cannot imagine what a Maynard #11 Hunter's Rifle in .50-100 or .55-100 would feel like....!!??!!??

« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2013 at 5:23pm by xtimberman »  

IP Logged

Hank45
Oldtimer

GOD loves you

Reply #22 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Mr.xtm, I know what you are saying about weight, I have a.28/30/135  (7mm) rifle with with a barrel that is 1.24 at the action and .99 at the muzzle that I have to shoot off the bench. thanks Hank45   Smiley

IP Logged

Hank45
Oldtimer

GOD loves you

Reply #23 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
I am sorry the figure .99 should read .900.  Hank45   Smiley

IP Logged

Hank45
Oldtimer

GOD loves you

Reply #24 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 7:59am
Print Post  
What is the safest .22 caliber cartridge made today that can be used in a 131 year old Maynard rifle? Hank45  Smiley

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #25 - Jun 22nd, 2013 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Hank45 wrote on Jun 20th, 2013 at 7:59am:
What is the safest .22 caliber cartridge made today that can be used in a 131 year old Maynard rifle? Hank45  Smiley

If you're talking rimfire here and just want to make it go "BANG" then 22 CB caps are the mildest of the mild... I use them in an old S&W First Model.  Actually though, if the Maynard is in good shape and chambered for them, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot modern standard velocity 22 cartridges in it.  Now if you're talking about that 22-10 or whatever proprietary cartridge from Maynard, I'm clueless on that one! Undecided

Froggie

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jun 24th, 2013 at 9:45am
Print Post  
I would not hesitate to shoot any .22 rimfire cartridge in a Maynard in good condition and that includes the high velocity stuff. The key things to look for are the firing pin fit in the hole and the extractor fit. These must fit properly to prevent blown rims. The action is strong enough for any and all .22 rimfires.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint