Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) B.P. Single Shot Match @ Friendship (Read 7331 times)
Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

B.P. Single Shot Match @ Friendship
Jun 2nd, 2013 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
The N.M.L.R.A. will holding their Spring 2013 National Shoot at Friendship;

Bulletin at;

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

C.M.M.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: B.P. Single Shot Match @ Friendship
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Do they shoot an actual 200 yard offhand traditional style BP M/L schuetzen match?

I'd be real interested in that, and Friendship is within reasonable traveling distance for me.  Unfortunately those dates conflict with my other significant "shooting sport" event.  The Annual Traditional Archery "Compton Rendezvous", an international event which my local conservation hosts--and which I am heavily involved.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
I don't see anything about "BP singleshot" in the link. What are I missing? 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
I believe it is all muzzle loader thus single shot. No Breach loaders allowed

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I don't see anything about "BP singleshot" in the link. What are I missing? 
Joe.

Do you have a specific question you would care to have answered ?  If so, I am sure the fine people at N.M.L R.A. would be happy to provide those answers to you, should they hear from you.

Regards,

C.M.M.

Post Script -- Sorry that you are missing something, however, resourcefulness is a quality in life that yields big dividends.  Not everyone is resourceful.
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2013 at 4:20pm by Gone Fly Fishing »  

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
It's been a while since I waded through the whole menu of matches, but I do believe that have events of multi-shot BP muzzleloaders, shotguns, double rifles, and also BP revolvers I think. 
However I think they have only one single BP M/L schuetzen match at one event in the course of a summers activities.  They shoot a lot of offhand events with other arms of course but at closer ranges.  And as I recall the by NMLRA off-hand rules the support arm is not allowed to contact the body other than at the shoulder.
It has been a year or two since I looked into it and rules and schedules may have changed.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 6:51pm
Print Post  

Thanks DWS --

It has been at least 4 or 5 years since I was last at Friendship, since my state (PA) muzzle-loader club became very active competing again other M.L. groups.  The National Eastern Rendezvous were most often scheduled for various remote locations in Pennsylvania or the surrounding states, predominately in West Virginia.

As I recall, the activities of the N.M.L.R.A do not overlap with those of the A.S.S.R.A., but rather hold different interests and each compliments the other.

Do you find that good M.L. off-hand shooters make above average Schuetzen competitors in the traditional style.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2013 at 9:09am
Print Post  
That I do not know.   For offhand shooters there are a number of different games all with different rules and position regulations.  
  I'm sure that the basic skills and developed physical abilities are transferrable. 
A look at the consistently winning offhand shooters at Etna Green seems to me to be mostly the guys who have built their skills in the muzzle loading, 3-position small-bore, and high-power venues.  Maybe by having that many more opportunities to participate in off-hand matches simply helps build and hone the physical and mental skills.

I suspect that the classic schuetzen "form" with the upper support arm tight against the body gives some physical advantage with a properly balanced rifle over the extended arm.  but then you have to factor in the jackets and or slings permitted in some sports.  Perhaps the NMLRA style offhand with the extended arm, long heavy barrels, and no pronged butt-plates would be the most difficult.   it sure would be for me.
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2013 at 9:18am by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #8 - Jun 4th, 2013 at 11:41am
Print Post  
I just tried calling the number on the flyer. No one answers.  Lots of recordings. Nothing about "single shots"

I remember NMLRA advertising "single shot" matches back in the ninety's which meant single shot breech loaders. Also remember the statement that the "schuetzen position" was not allowed. Meaning the normal hip rest position when shooting offhand.  The hip rest position is the way it was done back in the day. If it's still the same, would rule out any palm rest. 

It's still a buckskinner match.   

Have fun!   Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

jrscott
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Jun 4th, 2013 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Thursday and Friday (6/6 and 6/7) at Camp Atterbury (near Friendship) the NMLRA has long range black powder cartridge matches 800, 900, 1000 yd.  At the Spring and fall Nationals there is a Schuetzen Aggregate match as well as a re-entry match.  Muzzle loading Schuetzen rifles, metallic sights 100 yds and 200 yds offhand.  The national record for the 200 yd offhand target on the 25 ring target is 224.  Pretty tough with a muzzle loader.

I'm planning on going next week for the second time.  Had a great time last year.  Attendance for the Schuetzen matches has been dropping off, so if anyone is interested they should come out and help keep this type of shooting around.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 7:38am
Print Post  

Greetings J.R.Scott and Welcome to the A.S.S.R.A. Forum.

I am expecting to be out to Friendship and have the benefit of re-visiting familiar territory and seeing familiar faces from earlier days.

I believe that DWS said he had a date conflict and wouldn't be able to make it this time, but hey, there is always next time.

I know our N.M.L.R.A. state representative and he is a positive person who is genuinely interested in promoting all types of shooting sports.  Oh, and I have his phone number, which he answers, in case I need to get information or ask a question. 

Lest we forget, European schuetzen style match shooting began with muzzle-loading rifles.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

Peter_Sheets
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:03am
Print Post  
A couple of chunks of information. 1.  The matches stating this Saturday are ML matches.  Check the Alternative range use calendar for the Cart Matches.
2.  The NMLRA rules do not require a space between your arm and your chest.  You may get locked in nice and tight.  The rule existed and was enforced by the range officer attempting to put his hand between the shooters arm and chest.  We now have many women shooters, nuff said. 3.  There are traditional Schuetzen matches this next week.  The Rifles are ML using either paper patches or GG bullets. Ranges are out to 200 yards offhand.  We had local and international shooters compete in the schuetzen matches last year.  The rifles are amazing.  4. Long range matches are held a Camp Atterbery (SP). 800 to 1000 yards.  The matches a friendship are up to 500 yards.  It is a hoot to shoot a rigby or whitworth type rifle at the 3x3 steel target at 500 yards and hear the ring a long time later.  If you go to the shoot bring your rifle and shoot it.  We have matches for all ML rifles, bench offhand chunk.  Also  pistols are shot on the pistol range.  In the evening the trap line adds to the general atmosphere.

Peter Sheets NMLRA field rep

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Quote:
A couple of chunks of information.   There are traditional Schuetzen matches this next week.  The Rifles are ML using either paper patches or GG bullets. Ranges are out to 200 yards offhand.  We had local and international shooters compete in the schuetzen matches last year.  

Peter Sheets NMLRA field rep

Hello Peter --

So nice of you to make an appearance here at A.S.S.R.A., and your addition on behalf of the N.M.L.R.A. is greatly appreciated.

I have known Jim Fulmer since I started in M.L. and I assume he is still acting in the capacity of Pennsylvania State Representative.  I see Jim, and his wife Linda most years at the Dixon M.L. Fair held in July.  As a matter of fact, Jim lives in the Hamburg area which is also the location of the Dixion's M.L. Shop and Cabela's retail store, both just off the turnpike.

I hope to have the opportunity of meeting you in person one day soon.  I'll be the guy wearing the NMLRA logo long sleeve, button front shirt !   Grin

Thanks again Peter, and best regards,

Webb
Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 4:34pm
Print Post  

Folks who may be interested, F.Y.I. ;

200 yards schuetzen target

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

C.M.M.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Great INFO,  I'll have to see if I can work them into my schedule in the future.  I'd love to give it a try.  I have an original 1870s ML schuetzen and a recently acquired modern replica

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint