Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic smokeless in a Maynard 1882 shotgun? (Read 3032 times)
henpeckedmuch
Ex Member

smokeless in a Maynard 1882 shotgun?
May 25th, 2013 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
I know that one can use smokeless in 1882 Maynard rifle when used in moderation at black powder pressures. Can one use smokeless in 20ga. barrel on a 1882? 
Does anyone have a smokeless load to share? 
Can one use modern plastic target 20ga. shells?  The bore is 2 1/2in. and the breech is thicker than on my other newer single shot shotguns.

IP Logged

Rooster
Ex Member

Re: smokeless in a Maynard 1882 shotgun?
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2013 at 8:53am
Print Post  
I shoot low pressure smokless loads in damascus shotguns. Google SR 7625, that's the powder you need to use.

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2013 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Quote:
Can one use modern plastic target 20ga. shells?  The bore is 2 1/2in. and the breech is thicker than on

Hen-Pecked-Much --
                           I would have to concluded that you intended to say the "Chamber Length" is 2 1/2 inches in length, rather than, the bore is that dimension.  Needless to say, if the bore is, in fact, 2 1/2 inches, you have a very unusual piece.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

pjogrinc
Participating Member

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2013 at 12:09am
Print Post  
You could use the 20 gauge hull IF you trim it to the correct length.  Brass cases would be more appropriate. 

I would stay away from using smokeless powder in the 20 ga.  Pressures start going up and you could shoot the barrel/frame loose or worse yet, crack the frame at the junction of the fence and lower frame.

IP Logged

henpeckedmuch
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2013 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Creedmore I invite you to come and shoot my 2 1/2in bore elephant 1882 Maynard anytime. (of course you are correct I meant 2 1/2 in. chamber) 
Sometimes anymore, I have trouble tying my shoes. But, what can a guy do when he still wants to walk around, but stumbles a lot?

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2013 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Quote:

Sometimes anymore, I have trouble tying my shoes. But, what can a guy do when he still wants to walk around, but stumbles a lot? 

Answer ;  I believe that particular problem has been solved for the elderly, and for others in the population similarly situated, who have limited, or no, use of their hands by the so called "Hook and Loop" designed closure products designed and marketed by the Velcro Company.

See if these might not work for you;

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Your invitation presents an interesting challenge, but has little appeal for me. 

My friend and schuetzenmeister just acquired a 12 Bore English double rifle.  He manufactured a bullet mould and shortened brass cases to fit his chamber and invited me to shoot it.  That was an invitation that I readily accepted.

C.M.M.
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2013 at 8:45am by »  

IP Logged

henpeckedmuch
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 28th, 2013 at 10:00am
Print Post  
My 40-60 Maynard shells and 20 ga. shells have more than enough recoil for me out of my model 16 with the hooked butt plate. I fired two shots off the bench with the 40-60 and hurt my shoulder. Off-hand it was no problem. I can't imagine shooting any larger shell in a Maynard, and I understand they offered shells up to 44-100 Maynard. Those that shot them were more man then I am.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #7 - May 28th, 2013 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
I'm still waiting for adaptor rings to convert Mag Tech™ 20 gauge brass to use in my 1873 Model, so this is simply the result of research.  I would hesitate to use any smokeless loads of any sort in an original Maynard, not because of the barrel, but the action.  Look at the standing breech containing the firing pin... it is pinned and silver soldered (maybe) to an altered percussion action.  This was done over 100 years ago.  I really wouldn't want to trust my face, ugly though it is, behind a smokeless load in that receiver.  YMMV, but be informed what you are doing.

Froggie

IP Logged

Aonghas
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 30th, 2013 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Creedmore I invite you to come and shoot my 2 1/2in bore elephant 1882 Maynard anytime. (of course you are correct I meant 2 1/2 in. chamber) 

I can't compete with 2˝" heffalump guns, but when I've finished restoring it, you're welcome to try my 1" bore flintlock one.

Hope you have plenty of padding - 4 oz ball and the same volume of black... (or a bit more for an airborne Dumbo.)

Aonghas

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint