Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 405 into 40-60 Maynard 2nd problem (Read 2424 times)
henpeckedmuch
Ex Member

405 into 40-60 Maynard 2nd problem
May 13th, 2013 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
I used a 13/32 drill bit as a mandrel and cut off the excess length of the new 405 cartridge. this worked well, but when I tried to chamber the round the last  1/2 inch refused to go into the chamber. I resized the brass using my 40-70 SS die but the last 1/8 inch, near the rim, which the die could not reach to resize refused to enter the chamber.

I put a dowel into the electric drill, and stuck the ,now cut down, 405 case onto it. Then using a file with the drill turning, I turned the last 1/8 inch of the case's diameter down approximately .004 until it fit into the chamber. 

Now here is my question, does any one here know a simpler / easier way to accomplish what I had to do?

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Re: 405 into 40-60 Maynard 2nd problem
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2013 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
The old style (not to be confused with Old Style beer) full-length resizing dies were used with a press or a vice to put the whole length (sans rim) of the ctg case in the die.    The case is then driven out of the die with a rod.

One could be made if one had a chamber reamer - then harden it.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2013 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Have made that type die from grade "5" bolts. No measurable wear after a 100 or so cases. Used a good lube (grease).
Chuck

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2013 at 12:43am
Print Post  

Same problem makeing 40-70 straight Sharps cases from 30-40 Krag cases.  I chucked cases in a drill press 
and with the motor running, held a flat needle file against the solid base.  This before annealing 
and fireforming.  A little short, so seated bullets out a little.  If you chuck the cases too tight, may crimp them and too loose, they work out, just right was a fine line. 

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2013 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Trimming both 40/65 and 40/70 Sharps straight for a friend of mine as well as .25 Krag. Go years no trim now lot of it to do.

Fast and accurate lot to trim off nothing is going to work better than a proper press mounted file trim die.  You can make one up or buy from CH4D, 40 some bucks

It does not have to be cartridge specific. It does have to be neck size specific. Other words any proper diameter 40 caliber form trim will work, adjust the length by how far it screws in your press. Ff bottle neck no problem the body does not come in contact with a straight side case.

Little bit of trim want all even the hand crank trimmers work well.  I used a Redding for years found it won't chuck 45/70 Head brass. Opens up to .5 and will take 30/40 head & .405 head brass. Lymans open larger will accept 45/70 head and it's probably the one to buy. Lot of either used on Ebay none likely to have 40 caliber pilots. 

Redding sent a pilot next day, before I found the chuck won't accept the 40/65 case. Lyman been waiting for a .40 weeks and all I get is a sad story about how busy they are from C/Service

Boats
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2013 at 9:09am by boats »  

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2013 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Does your sizer die have an open top? if so put brass shims in your vise and use the die to press the case in as far as it will go then punch it out, this might be enough.
If not and you want to mail me your cases I will use my antique lyman 40-70 S.S. "squeezer' die and do them for you.
just did a bunch for one of our club members who put a Smith barrel on his Maynard and they fit fine now.
PM me if you want.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint