Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How do I shorten 405 to make 40-60 Maynard? (Read 8572 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: How do I shorten 405 to make 40-60 Maynard?
Reply #15 - May 9th, 2013 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Good tip Web, I hate cheap no good tools and most tubing cutters are built to sell not work

Boats

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - May 9th, 2013 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Buy yourself a jeweler's saw and a pack of blades.  Trim a little long and then run through your case trimmer.  Won't set you back too much and should get you going without too long a wait.  Jeweler saw won't collapse the case like a tube cutter or hack saw.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #17 - May 9th, 2013 at 9:53am
Print Post  

Reiteration :

I mandrel sized to the correct O.D. that matches a (non-bottle neck) cartridge case I.D., and which is inserted into the case prior to cutting, will, in fact, fully support the case and prevent its collapse during the cutting process when using a tubing cutter with a sharp cut-off wheel.

Using any type of saw is less precise and just complicates the cartridge case shortening process and leaves the case interior full of brass chips.

Question asked and answered.    Wink

C.M.M.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - May 9th, 2013 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
I measured the thickness of the brass in the neck area of 40/60 Maynard cases that I've made from .405 brass. It measures .012-.013" thick, so the diameter of the loaded round at the neck will be .025" larger than the bullet diameter. Mine is a modern barrel with .408" groove diameter and I shoot .409" diameter bullets.

IP Logged

henpeckedmuch
Ex Member

Reply #19 - May 10th, 2013 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
I contacted Steve Brooks and am sending a slug from my barrel and a check to cover a new mould. I've measured that Maynard bore so many times and still come up with .410 so I have hope that the 405 case will work for my gun. I know for sure that the 30-40 blown out case will not work. My chamber is to large.

I tried the tube cutter on one of the 30-40 cases and made a perfect 40-50 SS case out of it. So now I can try the new case out on a high wall I've had for some years. I've used had some cases from RMC co. but now can perhaps use these also. Thanks guys!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint