Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Case mouth flare / lube sizing ? 32 - 40 (Read 9177 times)
Hans K
Participating Member

Case mouth flare / lube sizing ? 32 - 40
Apr 22nd, 2013 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Just starting up after 15 years away . I loaded some with a short case mouth flare with a ball bearing pushed with the arbor press . 

My redding die set seems to have no flare ,also on the last loads I hand lubed the bullets with the brown Lyman "Ideal bullet lube " . I have some pistol lubes , Don't know if softer is better . I have hard pistol lubes blue and amber ,Rooster Red . 

Since the cast 205 gr bullets are tapered and about .323 at the base .318 on the forward band . I wonder if my Star sizer could help even if the lower 1/3 maybe the only contacted area . Anybody use the star ? , the bullets are out of a saeco # 553 mold . Thanks
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2013 at 6:08pm by Hans K »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Case mouth flare / lube sizing ? 32 - 40
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Most modern die sets don't flare much, they are built for jacketed bullets. If flare is what you want best get a Lyman "M" die in the appropriate size. Lee will cut a custom expander plug too.

I run a little flare on my 32/40 cases used for breech seating in order to better seal when using light loads. Fixed ammo cast it's good to get the expander plug exactly right size so you don't deform the bullets when seating. Lyman will do that with there M die, about any size you want.

Bullet sounds like it's tapered for breech seating. While you could in theory size down a tapered bullet in a lube sizer most of us pan lube tapered bullets as from the mold with no sizing.  32/40 can be two things, breech seated with tapered bullets, fixed ammo with uniform sized bullets.  Components need to be tailored to the end use. Mixing is not going to give good results.

Soft lube is best, Hard is no good for plain base cast in single shots,  Fairly universal opinion with single shot shooters.   If you don't want to mix just buy SPG lube it's as good as any for single shot use. 

Boats

IP Logged

Hans K
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Just wondering if these cast bullets  .323 - .324  rear band will 
work , .45 pistol bullets were only .001 over when sized . 

I have seated jacketed bullets on .308 and 6 mm BR till they touched the lead . 

Since it's my first run with these inherited moulds . I cast all the moulds for samples . Both are about 200 - 205 gr . Haven't rounded up a better breech seater yet . Thanks
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2013 at 10:59am by Hans K »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
What kind of rifle is it ? Some cam a bullet in with a plugged case just fine way the block rocks forward when raised.

In fact except it's only "file" adjustable, plugged case in a 44 1/2 is probably more precise than a mechanical lever action breech seater. Certainly not less precise.

You can tell if something is going to work with a chamber cast & measure or cam one in and see what happens. Mark that bullet up with a black marker drive it back out the mark will witness the fit.

Boats

IP Logged

Hans K
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 1:36am
Print Post  
It's a miller action which has fired mostly shallow seated 200 gr lead bullets on the case . 

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 9:51am
Print Post  

Quote:
If flare is what you want best get a Lyman "M" die in the appropriate size. Lee will cut a custom expander plug too.
Boats

Bill,...Due to the current back-log of standard catalog work at Lee Precision, they have temporarily ceased doing custom shop work until the get caught up with their retailers.

I would stick with your suggestion of using the Lyman product "M" sizing plug and do it by telephone w/ customer service.  Their gals mostly have the sizing information at their finger tips & they do take credit cards for payment.  I ordered several sizes including .32 Cal and 8MM and had them in 3 business days.

Webb

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Good tip

Lyman is the way to go and you can change they plugs don't always have to buy a new die. They are sending me a plug to convert a 35 Remington M die to 40/65 now

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
I don't think a Miller has much cam to the block when raised, but not sure. 44 1/2 Stevens or 1885 Winchester pushes them right in

Boats

IP Logged

joe139
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
I bought a set of RCBS cowboy dies for my 32-40. I was told they were made for cast bullets and flair the neck more than regular dies and they do flair better . Joe

IP Logged

imalarduss
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 6:13am
Print Post  
Got a set of RCBS Cowboy dies along with my rifle when I bought it and am very satisfied with them.  Expand the case mouth well.  Have had no problems with dies or brass.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Hans, individual standard and custom size Lyman M dies are expensive and delivery time is not when you need it now. 16 to 25 dollars + per die

I buy a fist full of various oversize Expander plugs from Track of the Wolf for 3 bucks and turn them down to the needed size when I cast with a bullet that is not the exact size of a plug on hand.  All the plugs can be used with only one Lee Neck Expender Die - 14 bucks
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

If you don't have a lathe, chuck the plug in the drill press and use a file to cut it to the size you need to expand the case mouth to the needed tension size.  Be sure to stamp the plug diameter on the top of the plug.  Otherwise, you calipers are going to be your best friend
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2013 at 9:19am by »  

IP Logged

dave_j

Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
i breech seat and use the same brass shot after shot. after de-priming i flare the case mouth with a tapered tool which just slightly flares the brass. my chambers are tight  and this seals the chamber pretty well.  works for me ! Smiley

ah heck  AA#9,4227,300MP, as long as it goes bang

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
I second John Boy. The expander plugs from Track work very well . Have used in my 40-65, 45-70's expander and compress plugs. Cheap and work.I also have turned em down for custom fitting for my 25-20 WCF, 38-50.  Pete

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

Hans K
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Apr 27th, 2013 at 8:40am
Print Post  
I have a temporary flare tool using a deep socket in 1/4 drive
slides in without much play . Having a long taper seems to work well for now . I do have a mill & lathe so I may build a breech seater , wondering how long the stroke needs to be 
1.5 " ? . 

Thanks the replies guys .
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2013 at 9:31pm by Hans K »  

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 27th, 2013 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Hans
THE breech seater for Millers is made by Neal Rice. If you are interested in buying one, PM me and I will send you his contact info.
As to lubing your tapered bullets with a Star sizer, I have been lubing tapered bullets with both Lyman and Saeco sizers for years. It's trial-and-error to get depth into the die set properly and it will take a little time to develop a feel so you don't squirt lube out the top of the die but it's a lot faster than pan lubing when using something like SPG or Smiley Schuetzen lubes.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint