Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Does anyone recognize this action? (Read 8938 times)
BryanB
Participating Member

Does anyone recognize this action?
Mar 2nd, 2013 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
it is marked in Bremen on top of the barrel.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2013 at 5:58pm by BryanB »  

IP Logged

BryanB
Participating Member

Re: Does anyone recognize this action?
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
I wonder if it has been set back and rechambered. I expect that there should have been a makers name in front of the in Bremen. I have seen the mark H.W.KOHNCKE IN BREMEN on schutzen. The ones I have found online did not have the swell at the front of the action.

IP Logged

BryanB
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Well whatever it is I pick it up tomorrow.

IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2013 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
My ignorant guess is that it's a German Martini.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 2:17am
Print Post  
I sure have a difficult time getting that Photobucket thing to work.  Some photos flashed on the screen and I thought I recognized some characteristics of the rifle.  It is a German Martini.

Back in April 1968, I bought a dandy German Martini stalking rifle in 8.15 x46R that has many of the same characteristics; same rounded parts "cheeks?" on the action & stock, same lever.  Square hole for tang sight instead of triangle.  My action is engraved & case hardened.  Absolutely no markings on my rifle.  Nothing telling who the maker was & no proof marks.  I still have that rifle.  It's a keeper.

On pages 79-81 of Vol. 2 of Alte Schiebenwaffen, there is a similar rifle.  IIRC, the maker of that one is also unknown.

IP Logged

BryanB
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
The rifle is proofed with the crown over V. Indicating manufacture prior to 1891. The barrel is 27 5/8" from muzzle to front of action. That and the In Bremen on the barrel top with what I think should be a makers name in front make me thing it has been set back. It also appears that the barrel may have been relined. I will get pictures and post more as I discover it.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
The searching I have done led me to the same conclusion; that my rifle was made before 1891.   

In my rifle, the breech block is bored through, so that when the block is lowered, the barrel can be inspected & cleaned from the breech.  To do so, the tang sight must be removed.

Perhaps Biggi can shed some light on these unknown German Martinis?

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
I tried the Photobucket link again.  Today it worked.  The fore-arm of my rifle is just the same as the rifle in the photos.  As are the sling swivels.  I think we have rifles from the same maker, whoever he might be.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 6:31pm
Print Post  

Hi Bryan!

Thanks for showing us your new baby. Seems to need a little bit of work and care. But each hour you spend on it will it be worth!

Nice old Martini. I love the old Martini rifles, I own also an real old one, from Salzburg/Austria.

Couldn't find a pic in your photo-bucket gallery with the name on it. So I needed longer to figure out, that you asked about KÖHNKE and not KOHNKE. That's a big difference...

I checked my gunsmith-archives, and I found some information of such a Prussian gunsmith!  Wink

He is mentioned between 1859 and 1888 and was at the German Bundesschießen in Vienna and 1881 at the Bundesschießen in Munich. He manufactured hunting rifles and target rifles.

And I found an entry in an old address directory of Bremen from 1860, there is a gunsmith mentioned named Heinrich Wilhelm Köhnke. He was in 1860 at the age of 30 years.

So one can say, if your rifle is manufactured before 1890, it was one of his late workpieces.

The north German rifles from Prussia were not so much engraved and fancy, like our south German rifles from Bavaria and Austria. But your rifle has an impressive butt-plate, very peppy.

Biggi.   Smiley

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

BryanB
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Danke Biggi,
I really appreciate the information about Herr Konhke. Can you indicate phonetically how his name would be pronounced? I do not want to seem ignorant when I talk to someone face to face.  Wink

The rifle only shows the In Bremen part on the top of the barrel. The name Konhke was the only one I have come across so far online that was marked "Konhke In Bremen".
I think the rifle has been set back and that is why the name is not present. I did determine that it is marked with the Vorrat  (crown over V) proof mark. Indicating a prior to 1891 manufacture. Saturday I will take many pictures and measurements.
Is there some where I can find directions for disassembly? 

one last question. The barrel has a second dovetail cut on the right side of the barrel  at the muzzle as if for a second front sight. Any idea what it is for?

Bryan
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2013 at 8:35pm by BryanB »  

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 5:53am
Print Post  
BryanB wrote on Mar 7th, 2013 at 8:29pm:

The rifle only shows the In Bremen part on the top of the barrel. The name Konhke was the only one I have come across so far online that was marked "Konhke In Bremen".
I think the rifle has been set back and that is why the name is not present. 
Bryan

Hi Bryan.

You are not sure it is a "KÖHNKE in Bremen" ??? It was just a guess from you?  Shocked 

Bremen is a town. Believe me, there was more than one gunsmith in Bremen in the old days. If you don't find another mark on the rifle about the maker, one cannot say it's made by Mr. KÖHNKE.

Biggi.   Smiley

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

BryanB
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 7:10am
Print Post  
Hi Bryan.

You are not sure it is a "KÖHNKE in Bremen" ??? It was just a guess from you?  Shocked 

Bremen is a town. Believe me, there was more than one gunsmith in Bremen in the old days. If you don't find another mark on the rifle about the maker, one cannot say it's made by Mr. KÖHNKE.

Biggi.   Smiley

[/quote]
No it is not marked with his name. I think that part has been cut off.

Bryan

IP Logged

TKoehncke
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Well, I am the gunsmith's great, great grandson (hope I got the right number of greats)...Our family is from Bremen, Germany and this Köhncke was gunsmith in Bremen.  Between 2 World Wars suspect not many examples of his work left.   

Be interested to know how you like it or still have it.

IP Logged

Kermit1945
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
As I understand what Biggi has told us before, "trade actions" with no maker's marks were sold to many gunsmiths who then built the rest of the rifle. I would think that you would need to locate a rifle identical to yours except for the barrel length and with a maker's name still intact and in identical lettering script. With that you might be a little more sure, but maybe still not absolutely positive.

Enjoy the search--and the rifle!

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #14 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Taking it apart and comparing to pictures in the Alte Shibenwaffer, whatever it is books, will most likely tell you what it is. The innards are important in identifying the system/maker.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint