Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stevens Rifle Book (Read 2205 times)
LTC B

Stevens Rifle Book
Oct 14th, 2012 at 10:08am
Print Post  
I barely know the difference between a 414 and a 44 1/2.

What's a good book to read on Steven's rifles? Winchester and Smith&Wesson get all the good press.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Re: Stevens Rifle Book
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Reprint Stevens catalogs { (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) } are one good source and the Grant series of Single Shot books along with Single Shot Rifles and Actions by Frank De Haas { (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) }

Enjoy the pictures and reading, Mike

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
If you have the money to spend, West's Savage & Stevens Arms and History is a complete rundown on both companies and their products.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
West book is probably the most comprhensive but hard to find at a reasonable price. Grants 5 books are good. All of the Frank de Haas books are good. The Rifle in Americia is good. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. by Vorisek is ok. The J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company  by Harold Strong is interesting but mostly old catalog reprints. Stevens Pistols and Pocket Rifles by Cope is another collection of old catalog reprints. Savage & Stevens Arms buy Kimmel is what I consider a good place to start for a beginner. First Stevens book I bought and one I still refer to a lot. A lot of Frand de Haas articles in it. It is available in paper back. I am not sure if it is currently in production but used examples should be out there at fair prices. It is possible to spend a lot of money on reference books but I always consider it money well spent. If you have any interest in Harry Pope and his Stevens barrels, The Story of Pope's Barrels by Ray M. Smith has a lot of info on it. A lot of these books cover manufacturers other than Stevens but have a lot of good Stevens info in them West, Kimmel,Voriseck, Cope, and Strong are Stevens and Savage only. Welcome!

IP Logged

toolmkr

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 12:19am
Print Post  
If you buy West's book be sure to get the 1st edition, the 2nd leaves out a lot of the early Stevens models. Mostly Savage in 2nd edition.

IP Logged

MAD MIKE
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
If you buy the Kimmel book, you're wasting your money.   ...MIKE...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint