Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Barrels (Read 8000 times)
pwDave
Ex Member

Barrels
Oct 14th, 2012 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Well, I turned my shiloh over to a smith that I have known for about 35 years. he is going to put a kreiger barrel on it. now, does anyone have any experence with this barrel company??   I have heard that they make very good barrels, but some first hand accounts is better than reading a companys web site, their always the best out there according to themselves!!   It will be nice to pull the trigger on this rifle again, told my youngest son tonite that it was coming to life again, he can't hardly wait!!  (went in the closet when he was 2)  he will be 34 next b-day. a humble thanks in advance to all who will respond to this request.    Dave.

IP Logged

Barvid

Re: Barrels
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
They make very good barrels, mine is a 17 twist .458 chambered in 45-70.

Best, barvid

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2012 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
They make some of the best barrels you can get.  I think you'll be very pleased with it.

dave

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 5:36am
Print Post  
Krieger is my "Go To" barrel supplier. I've never had a bad Krieger barrel. All shoot wonderful.
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2012 at 7:17am by RoyB »  

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 5:58am
Print Post  
Your rifle has been sitting in a closet for thirty two years?  Whats the story behind that? Why does it need a new barrel? Rusty?

Joe.  Smiley 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 6:41am
Print Post  
Kreiger is right at the top of the list and is being used by the majority of jacketed bench rest shooters and has been for several years now. One would be hard pressed to find one better. 

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 7:57am
Print Post  

JLouis wrote on Oct 15th, 2012 at 6:41am:
Kreiger is right at the top of the list and is being used by the majority of jacketed bench rest shooters and has been for several years now. One would be hard pressed to find one better. 

J.Louis

Correct spelling is KRIEGER and not KREIGER. Don't mix it up, its a German name...

Biggi.  Wink

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 9:27am
Print Post  
You will like your Krieger barrel.  Very smooth interior. I have a 17 twist on a 45-90.  I have noticed that the lands are wider than on other manufacturers.  I'm curious as to what their thinking is on that.  It sure does shoot though. 
On a side note; it might be worth asking about the reamer your gunsmith is using to chamber it and what kind of leade it has.  Bob

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Douglas, smooth finish inside with their button rifling process, no break-in needed, no leading, I have them in .22, .38, .40, and ,45 and every one is excellent.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Correct spelling is KRIEGER and not KREIGER. Don't mix it up, its a German name...

I used the original poster's spelling and the forth poster verified it so I was just following suit. But you are correct, after visiting the wed site the original spellings were incorrect.

J.Louis

IP Logged

pwDave
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Westerner,   It's a long story, so I'll make it as short as possible, the first barrel the gun came with was a subbed out barrel of dubious quality, also was a 50-140, no need to go farther than that.  decided that 40-90 would be better for my body so sent the gun to a shop in Indiana where it set for the next 25 mo.s without any work being done to it. had to threaten legal action to get it back, the shop went belly up within the month, close call, next sent the gun to a smith in colorado, he quoted me a price, got the gun and then called me and almost doubled the quote, so I had him send it back.  next was another smith in colorado, that one turned out to have a bad chamber, and started splitting cases within a month.   next was a smith in pennsylvania, had the gun for 7 mo.s, he could do the lenth, the contour, and the fit,  sent the gun back, said he had retired and I would have to have it chambered by some one else, slugged the gun and it was ten thousants under size, thirty nine cal. instead of the forty I had requested.  at this point I was pretty much done with it, and put it in the closet for 32 years.   there is a lot more to this that I have not mentioned, and keep in mind that this all took place pre PC, all was done over the phone or by snail mail.  during all this time I have hoped that one day I could pull the trigger on this gun once more and see the smoke and smell the sulpher once again.   maybe this time??   take care all, wish me luck,    Dave.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
I've used two Krieger barrels on projects. After I get them aligned in the lathe I like to peek thru the bores while turning to see how straight they are. The Krieger barrels were just about the straightest bores I've ever seen on any barrels. The end users reported excellent results with them also.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Any thought on sending your Shiloh to Shiloh for re-barrelling? I understand their barrels are excellent.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Another thought - if you had Shiloh put on a new barrel, I expect you could have it seral numbered to your receiver which would preserve it's value better than another makers' barrel would. 'Just a thought.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Go back and re-read the original post, the rifle is at the gunsmiths and the smith has his Krieger barrel. The question was about the quality of their barrels and not what he should buy or what he should do. 

J.Louis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint