Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Schuetzen in Slovenia ? (Read 27079 times)
Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Schuetzen in Slovenia ?
Sep 24th, 2012 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Any schuetzen activities/history to look for in Slovenia (next week)?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Schuetzen in Slovenia ?
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
      Schuetzen v Slovinsku? To je zaujímavé. Neviem nič o Slovinsku. Koľko Slovinci máme na fóre? Viem, že bude reagovať čoskoro. Bavte sa a budeme očakávať úplnú správu, až sa vrátiš. Ak sa vrátiš.

Joe.   Wink

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Še ena v vsaki od množice! Več jezikoslovec!  Grin

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Ha ha ha! Vsakdo lahko igra z Google Translate.  Grin Grin

Joe.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Slovenia kann zu weit von Der Schweiz nicht sein und es gibt vieles Schießen dort.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Ah! Zdaj se nemški slovaščini in angleščini, zelo zapleteno gospod Bob

Sepp.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 3:13am
Print Post  

You shouldn't mix up Slovenian and Slovakian language. These are two different languages and two different countries.

Slovenia is a small part of the former communist republic of Yugoslavia. 
And 
Slovakia is a part of the former communist republic of Czechoslovakia.

I think in both countries is no real schuetzen history to find. These were poor countries, no free people at any time. Before the communism came, they were living in the Kaiser-Reich (empire) of Austria-Hungaria. A few people were aristocratic and noble, so they went for hunting in their mountains. And the big amount of people were poor families living in the countryside and had to help the rich farmers. Both countries weren't very developed in the old days.

Maybe nowadays they are sport-shooters with small-bore .22 rifles or air rifles. But there might be not much history in schuetzen rifles, maybe a bit hunting rifles history.

Biggi.  Roll Eyes  Smiley

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure what I started, but thanks!

I did post a few years back a picture I took of a "king target" that was hung in a restaraunt in Budapest.  Sadly one of the moderators deleted the thread calling it a "personal message" although there was a lot of good interaction regarding it.

I'll keep my eyes open and post pictures that are relevant as they come up.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Post the target from Budapest again,  here. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Joe. 

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
couple years back  Charlie GREEN FROG Shaeff took a summer mission trip to to Czech Republik and/or Sloviakia.  He took a bunch of pictures of hand painted targets in a museum there somewhere (as best I recall).   If you search back through his threads they might still be on the site.   I don;t think he gets on here too often but he might have some ideas----I know the diff between Slovakia and Slovenia  and agree that Slovenia might be a bit schuetzen-poor---history and economics of that area would probably be against it

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #10 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Sep 25th, 2012 at 8:30pm:
Post the target from Budapest again,  here. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Joe. 

I will when I find it; likely after I get back from Slovenia.
Thanks.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 4:20pm
Print Post  

Just want to add some European historical stuff about the old days.

There are some countries in eastern Europe, which belonged in the old days to Germany (or the former areas which came later to Germany) or to Austria (or the former Austria-Hungary Empire).

The target cat_whisperer posted in the other thread is from Budapest. But it is a target with German lettering on it. And it is a very old target. So its from a decade, when Budapest (the capital of Hungary) belonged to the big Austria-Hungarian Empire. The Hungarians were separated from Austria after WWI, I think in 1918. WWI was the end of the big Empire of the "Danubian-Monarchy", it was a big and rich Reich between 1867 and 1918. And they had a lot of hunting and shooting there. A lot of famous gunsmiths were working in Budapest and Vienna. It was a big country with a lot of farming in the countryside and culture in the big cities. But it was not a democracy, they had a kaiser in Austria and a king in Hungary. People were exploit unscrupulously. 

And now something about Czechoslovakia. The Czech part of this country (which existed after WWII) was also a part of the Austria-Hungarian Empire. But in the real old days, it was German. And the capital is Prague. In reality an old German town and the oldest university founded by the Germans. A beautiful town full of culture and knowledge. And there were a lot of very famous gunsmiths in Prague in the old days. The editor of the old magazine "Der Waffenschmied / The Gunsmith" was located in Prague. I think this was round 1880, when Friedrich Brandeis started this magazine. 

The other part of the country Czechoslovakia is Slovakia. They put these two countries together after WWII, but the two countries were different tribes. A lot of countries in Eastern Europe are mixed from different tribes with different roots. The Slovakian part of the country Czechoslovakia was always the poorer part. Don't know about shooting there in the old days. 

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 4:21pm
Print Post  

And now Slovenia. It is a part of the former communist "melting-pot country" Yugoslavia. Its far in the north, close to the Austrian and Italian border. In the old days, also Slovenia belonged to the big Austria-Hungarian Empire. So they had a strong German Austrian cultural imprint. And the country consists mostly out of forests and mountains.

All the mentioned countries Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic and Slovakia), Hungary and Slovenia (ex Yugoslavia) were after WWII behind the iron curtain. All were communist states, where private rifles were not allowed. So the famous sports and hunting rifle manufactures were "converted" to arms factories for the respective army.

Nowadays all these countries are since 20 years free democratic states, or they try to be. But after being exploited countries or king-empires in the old days, and a trial with democracy between WWI and WWII, and then 50 years of communism, there is not much rifle-history left over.

So its nice to see the picture of the target cat_whisperer posted, that there are some relicts left of the old days, in museums, fortresses and castles.

Biggi.  Smiley

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
That is a very interesting history, Biggi. I would have thought that with all the mixing of things that it would have evolved like the USA and medled and mixed the people rather than keeping them seperated. Things got very bad after the collapse of the USSR and I didn't understand that.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 5:38pm
Print Post  

In the old old days, whole Europe consisted of small kingdoms, dukedoms, shires, tribes, natives, rich families, king families and so on. And for sure the Old Holy Roman Empire. They made their politics with marriages and alliances - and also a lot of wars. So they enlarged their properties and some got mighty, some others lost their political power.

In the 1800s, they started to build powerful empires, out of smaller kingdoms and areas. So Europe started to get "real political borders". The northern part of nowadays Germany built "Prussia", the South with Bavaria was still free separate states. The Austria-Hungarian Empire was also real mighty and a big area. Other regions of Europe made nearly the same, but I am not so smart on French or Spanish history. And the big British Empire was important too.

With the old politics, making big empires out of different tribes, they didn't had much luck. The tribes were too different, different roots, different culture. But with a dictatorship or a powerful king one could hold together so much different peoples. After WWI, when there was nearly not any king left in Europe, the regions separated again, like Hungary and Austria, Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech, Croatia, Bosnia, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, and so on.

But then WWII came and Europe was wracked and ruined. The iron curtain divided Europe in East and West. The Allied forces in West and East draw new frontiers through middle and eastern Europe. So the dictatorships in Eastern Europe had again a lot of smaller tribes and countries together in one Communistic State. Like in Yugoslavia. 

Till the 1970s, it was nearly not possible to travel to eastern Europe. And for east Europeans it was not possible to be in contact with west Europeans and for them traveling was completely impossible.

After the cold war and the break down of the iron curtain round 1990, all the former "melted countries" wanted to separate again. Because only the dictatorships could hold them together. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint