Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic sights (Read 2666 times)
pwDave
Ex Member

sights
Oct 19th, 2012 at 12:17am
Print Post  
How are Lee Shavers sights, quality per dollar,  I am thinking about a economy long range for the rear of my 74 shiloh.  what would be better for the front, post or peep?  62 years young, but the eyes are tired.    Dave.

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Re: sights
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 7:04am
Print Post  
pwDave I own the Lee Shaver economy soule sight and it is excellent quality for the $$$, if you have more than one rifle you want to use the rear on, the higher price deluxe can be swapped to other Shaver bases.
For the front I am five years older than you and like the globe style front sight, I like the big 7/8" - 22mm insert ones from Lyman, they let more light in around the front aperture which helps my aging vision for long range shooting. 
I have the Lyman MJT20, but there is also a model 93 which fits on a front dovetail base. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Do have a the Shaver globe on my the front of my Stevens 22rf rifle and they work very well.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 10:09am
Print Post  
I also use the Lee Shaver economy Soule with his Hadley eye-cup and his large globe front-sight with level. Think they are both excellent. 

Also, you can move the economy sight from base-to-base on different rifles just like you do with the more expensive models. The difference is that the flat spring at the base that keeps the mast in the straight-up position must be captured when you do or it is easily lost. I simply put the screw and spring in a small plastic bag and leave with the rifle as each base you order comes with the needed spring and screw. 

Am thinking a small dab of epoxy might solve the spring problem. May give that a try.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 11:55am
Print Post  
I have one of Lee's economy Soule sights on my Hepburn, and like it a lot. Very nice sight for the dollar.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 11:58am
Print Post  
You want to change front sights depending on the target and available light. Best get something with interchangeable inserts.

Least expensive front that does a good job is the Lyman 17A.  The MJT's are the same style sight just a bit larger and use Anschutz size inserts.  Added plus for the Lyman's is they are available in various heights.  Come packaged with a number of inserts to suit any conditon. 

Boats

IP Logged

jbrower

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
I purchased a Lee Shaver "Deluxe" long-range rear sight and USPS dropped it off yesterday.  Frankly, for nearly $400 I'm disappointed in its windage function and finish and will be sending it back.  I much prefer my MVA sight to it.  Perhaps I should have gone with the economy model instead as I would have had lower expectations.

Problem with my MVA sight is that its been in their hands for repair for three weeks now and they won't return my calls.   Angry

IP Logged

pwDave
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Four out of five so far,  Lee Shaver it is,  I would stay with my first front globe, but, I thought thirty years ago that it was too thick and set it up in my dremel and took the post down to about twenty thousants, now I can't see the darn thing!!!    Soooo, I think a lyman front would be in order also.   Thanks for the info fellas, I've been out of this circle for a long time.  P.S.  found some issues of    Black Powder Cartrigde Rifle when John baird was publishing it in big timber,  had five from 1981, long time ago!!!!   got about thirty total.   Dave.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
jbrower wrote on Oct 19th, 2012 at 12:22pm:
I purchased a Lee Shaver "Deluxe" long-range rear sight and USPS dropped it off yesterday.  Frankly, for nearly $400 I'm disappointed in its windage function and finish and will be sending it back.  I much prefer my MVA sight to it.  Perhaps I should have gone with the economy model instead as I would have had lower expectations.

Problem with my MVA sight is that its been in their hands for repair for three weeks now and they won't return my calls.   Angry

I have the deluxe Shaver soule sight on one of my rifles.  It's got no slop, the elevation adjustment is precise, but the windage marks on the staff are useless. Any new sight I buy will be MVA from now on. 

Chris.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Do agree that the windage marks on the Shaver are 'tricky' to read. However, highlighting them with a paint-stick pretty much fixes that problem. All of the sight makers should do the same, from what I've seen.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint