Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tube Sight Plan (Read 4318 times)
UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Tube Sight Plan
Aug 31st, 2012 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
A while back I posed concerns about my Redfield International which is a bit loose.   A recomendation I'm following it to make a tube sight.  I now have a set of suitable Stevens Target Scope bases and a piece of 0.750" x 0.035" wall drawn over mandrel (DOW) steel tubing (could be a bit straighter).   The question is should I make a more or less standard length tube (24") and use the 7.2" scope base spacing with the standard front globe sight or go for a 36" tube with the front base on the front sight mount and the front sight disc mounted in the tube.  I can imagine that the forward sight base at the muzzle will really make it difficult to have enought adjustment with the rear sight base.   I thought about a full length tube with the 7.2 sight spacing but having a huge overhang at the muzzle doesn't sound right.  The vibrations might be interesting.  

The rifle is a CPA in 32-40 with # 4 barrel...wonderful rifle.   In any case I'm in only $20 for the tubing so this is just an experiment.  

Dave

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Tube Sight Plan
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 1:03am
Print Post  
I used a 10.12 spacing on my 30" lg tube sight and I don't really like the overhang either. My next one will have the front mount on the regualar front base that I use for the iron sights. Don't worry about the amount of adjustment, just use a taller rear block for elevation. I added enough on my 10.12 spacing to gain 12 min. to start off with and I can still sight to 50 yds with lots to spare. You shouldn't have any trouble with windgage, if you do, your blocks aren't aligned. You'll pick up a lot of fine adjustment, probably near 1/8" per click @ 200.

That said, I wouldn't worry about your overhang, the normal scopes are 22 - 24" long on the 7.2 spacing and I can't see where it would be a problem. Yours would be lighter and stiffer that a regualar scope. 

Frank
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2012 at 1:16am by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Jerry_H
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 1:26am
Print Post  
UtahDave,

Send me a PM if you're interested in how I built my full length tube sight.

Jerry H

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Early this summer I bought a Tasco 1860 Replica sight so that I could use the mounts  to build a Tube Sight. This will be a Winter project.

PM sent

ron

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Dave I have concerns with your thin wall tubing not having enough mass to keep it stationary under recoil. A friend built one using the same wall thickness as yours and it bings him in the head each time he squeezes the trigger. He has to obtain the sight picture then move his head out of the way prior to firing the shot and wishes he would have went with a thicker wall thickness to gain the necessary mass. 

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 11:00am
Print Post  
As far as overhang look at Jerry's it is far enough forward to not get fouling on the front sight insert. I would do the same if you like the looks of the longer tube or leave well short of the muzzle so you won't encounter any fouling issues.

J.Louis

IP Logged

Kermit1945
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Here's my tube sight, made with a lot of help and advice from folks on this site. It's made from a stout 36" piece of thickwall stainless tube. I think the mass issue is one you want to pay attention to. A poke in the eye isn't much fun, especially when it's going to happen with every shot.

Is the overhang you are concerned about the length of the sight ahead of the front mount? My mounts are actually a little less than 7.2" because that's where the barrel was drilled for a previous scope. So far this is working. It's mounted on my roundball bench rifle.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Kermit very nicely done indeed, it is one of nicer home brewed tube sights that I have seen to date.

One also wants enough stiffness in the tube so there is no deflection / droop variation from the front of the mount forward under it's own weight from shot to shot.

J.Louis

IP Logged

Kermit1945
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Thanks, J-Lou, but I have to credit the hand that really made it possible. Westerner did the machine work and changed some of my original guesses to make it happen.

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Thanks all!

John L,  good point about recoil and getting hit in the eye.  I will have to think about that.  Maybe springs, stops or more weight will help.  I will use this for 200 yds to I can get the front and rear base heights figured out.    

I plan to make the 'fittings' out of brass but maybe I should by some free maching steel so I can blue everything.   

Thanks all for the welcome input.   

David

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
David someone just recently posted the below base height chart for the different distances that should be of a big help to you.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

J.Louis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint