Poll
Poll Question:
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: rebornbhmsGP on: Mar 12th, 2015 at 2:58am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley (Read 81681 times)
32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Re: Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley
Reply #75 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
     Yes Joe, it's a tremendous sacrifice, but I will man up and and do this for the betterment of my fellow man.  And think of all the happy go lucky citizens I'm saving from disfiguring injuries, or worse.   Wink

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #76 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
32 ballard xl wrote on Nov 19th, 2012 at 6:57pm:
     Yes Joe, it's a tremendous sacrifice, but I will man up and and do this for the betterment of my fellow man.  And think of all the happy go lucky citizens I'm saving from disfiguring injuries, or worse.   Wink

Hey I've got one of those sock drawer Ballards you're looking for! It's a #2 factory chambered for .44-40! Haven't fired it in years and taking it to the show this Sunday to sell!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #77 - Nov 22nd, 2012 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
   My goodness, Marlinguy, how embarassing to be short of funds just when one of these hand grenades comes up for sale.  My sock drawer is all puckered up leading to tears over this. Cry

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

lucket

Reply #78 - Nov 24th, 2012 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
It's sad to hear of accidents like this..no matter what action was used. Embarrassed

IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Reply #79 - Nov 24th, 2012 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
agreed

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #80 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Here are the pictures.

Kurt

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #81 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Hindsight is always good stuff. We are supposed to learn by our mistakes but first we have to survive. Better yet design procedures so mistakes don't happen. I've been handloading for 68 years; very early on I inculcated priming and then placing the cartridges upside down in a block. Handle one by one from then on. Never had a problem but that also means using some common sense about the appropriate powder and load. 

But then there is Mark Twain and his quote " why is common sense so uncommon". 
Good design and implementation of that design is paramount to keeping one's head functional and attached to body. 
It is a shame that the Ballards were not forged. Can't win them all. The early Winchesters were 1008 for steel; not exactly fancy stuff but also they were forged which adds about 15% to to the strength. My winder is 1522 alloy but still not heat treated. Every once in a while I'm tempted to have it cased about 15 thou and then quenched (oil). I could then push it some but I am much more likely to simply make an action in 8620 or 4140 which would come up to modern standards.

Shifting gears; for those shooters that have access to "Double Gun Journal" Sherman Bell wrote a whole series of articles about substituting modern powders for black. It can be done if one keeps his wits. I rather like the approach of the Accurate Powder reloading manual which has a section on loading smokeless to replace black. Load BP in the recommended manner then test for pressure. Adjust the smokeless loads so the pressure is less than or equal to the BP pressure. No magic there. As always one has to preclude double or triple charging.   
Reloading is best done when one is not fuzzy headed. 

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #82 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
I look at the primer before charging every time.  No double charge yet  Smiley  If the case is not oriented correctly when I put it in the chamber, I dump the charge and look at the primer  and start over.  That is my  Ballard technique.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

squibshot

Reply #83 - Apr 29th, 2020 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Every new and experienced re-loader should hang that photo wherever they charges cases. Obviously that was a detonation.  If you don't have a fool proof system to prevent a double charge of smokeless you should stick with black.  One virtue of 4759 was a double charged the case it was easy to detect.  Very sorry for the lady and her family.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #84 - Apr 29th, 2020 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Hey accidents happen and no one surely did it on purpose. I once doubled charged my 32-40 CPA right in the middle of an event while being disrupted. No one I know of is any safer than I and I have been now doing for over twenty seven years. It happens and thankfully in my own personal incident no one was injured including myself. Am I now more cautious some might ask. Probably not more so than I have always been it was simply an unfortunate accident at the time and nothing more and nothing less. The only thing I did change was I now always having the case upside down until it actually goes into the chamber. If something disruptive happens to take place I do as BobZ mentioned I turn the case back upside down tap it on the bench a couple of times to make sure it is empty and start all over again.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #85 - Apr 29th, 2020 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
I have read but I also don't know if it's true that an under charged load can also cause a detonation and can become just as dangerous as an overloaded cartridge can. Unfortunately Ballard's have gotten a bad name when it comes to them being safe. I have seen several forged actions being loaded to what some would seem to be pretty hot with smokeless. Not only did they hold together but it was also what it took to get the ver best accuracy of those rifles. I have sat one bench over from someone shooting one in a match that I thought might be a little bit on the hot side but I never felt unsafe by sitting next one. Some folks tend to think they are a time bomb waiting to go off but it actually takes more than just a few grains or a few tenths to have them self destruct.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #86 - Apr 29th, 2020 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Apr 29th, 2020 at 8:37pm:
I have read but I also don't know if it's true that an under charged load can also cause a detonation and can become just as dangerous as an overloaded cartridge can. 

I used to shoot Win 296 in my .357 Mag. It had a warning to shoot published loads.  I could blow up both lower and higher.   It recall someone shooting it in a Ballard.  Spooked me  Huh

A couple guys at Tacoma had unexplained denotation with H-110.  They did it 3 times as I recall.  They decided to quit shooting it while they are ahead    Cheesy

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #87 - Apr 29th, 2020 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
I have heard bad things about H110 and I have stayed away from using it. All though I did test both H110 and 296 neither one of them proved to be consistent enough for my own use. It's been quite sometime back now but if memory serves right all though some claim them both to be the same. The H110 was quite a bit more tempreture sensitive than some of the others proved out to be. It is funny in that you mentioned it being used in a Ballard. One of the folks I sat next to was also shooting it in his Ballard. I could clearly hear a difference in his shots when it started heating up for the day. He is also one of those who loaded it on the hotter side and a 32-40 probably pushing 1500 fps.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #88 - Apr 29th, 2020 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
When I moved from Colorado to Tacoma WA in 87, Chuck Bordman gave all his H110 to me. Chuck had quite a supply he had been winning at matches. 

Burned every bit of it in my Hiwall 32-40. No problems whatsoever and won many BR matches with it.

Few years previous someone blew up a rifle with H110.  Had a bad reputation.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #89 - Apr 29th, 2020 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
All I ever shot in my Ballard was BP, 4227 AND 4759.  All were well proven and tested for nearly a century before I started shooting mine. I figure if they weren't OK in  Pope-Ballard, Harry would have put a stop to it Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Send TopicPrint