Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stevens Family Photo (Read 10298 times)
moshannon

Stevens Family Photo
May 28th, 2012 at 11:25am
Print Post  
I finally got all of them out at once for a photo.
top to bottom:
44 1/2 in 32.20
45 in .22lr with a #4 barrel, originally in 22.15
47 Stevens-Pope in .22 short, w/Stevens 438 (I think, model # isn't marked)
47 in .25 Stevens and mismatched 28.30 barrels, in the white ready for color
47 in 32.40 #4 barrel all mismatched ready for color
49 all matching #'s two barrels in .22lr, one in 25.21, spare block/link/fingerlever, w/ Unertl small game

I happily shoot them all when I get the chance. The 49 has eliminated several groundhogs under my watch.

Mike

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Stevens Family Photo
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2012 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Beautiful collection!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Fritz
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2012 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Mike,Nice collection of shooters--Fritz

YIM  
IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2012 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Fantastic collection. The Stevens Pope in .22 Short has to be scarce. I love the .22 Short guns and a Stevens Pope of any kind is on my bucket list.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2012 at 7:55pm
Print Post  

Mike:

Thank you much for showing us a very fine collection of J. Stevens A & T Co. S.S. rifles.  You are a man after my own heart.  If one were to limit his affections to one mark, why would it not be J. Stevens?

Would it be an imposition if I were to ask you to post a close up image of the action engraving on the Model 49?  If not, please educate me with one additional indulgence.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

moshannon

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2012 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Here are a couple close ups of the Walnut Hill. Unfortunately it was originally drilled and tapped on the top flat of the receiver. Although I have spoken to several collectors, including Mr. Quinlan, who have said that it was a common practice and shouldn't detract from the value conciderably. 

I just picked up the Stevens-Pope a few weeks ago at an auction in Ohio. Near perfect bore, some loss of case color and bluing, but I don't believe it was shot a lot. It was probably was sent back to stevens for the Stevens-Pope barrel, no matching markings between the receiver and the barrel. I've only shot a few rounds through it (CCI CBshorts) but it seems to be a one holer at 50 ft.

Mike

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2012 at 7:14am
Print Post  

Mike

That is excellent and thank you for providing the view.  I wish you much success and enjoyment out such a fine collection of period J. Stevens rifles.

Webb

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 30th, 2012 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Beautiful. Wonderful collection. 
If you haven't had the opportunity, you should make the time to visit the Davis Firearms Museum in Claremore, OK. 
Their collection of Schuetzen and other vintage Stevens single-shot rifles rivals that of the Cody Museum. And, like the Cody Museum, it takes at least two days to make a full tour of their collection.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

skratch
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 12:22am
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 7:19am:
Beautiful. Wonderful collection. 
If you haven't had the opportunity, you should make the time to visit the Davis Firearms Museum in Claremore, OK. 
Their collection of Schuetzen and other vintage Stevens single-shot rifles rivals that of the Cody Museum. And, like the Cody Museum, it takes at least two days to make a full tour of their collection.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Davis when he still had his collection in the hotel, we stood in the lobby and he pointed out the punt guns stood up in the corners, a couple of small cannon, and what I think I remember as maybe a Maxim and a Browning water cooled machine guns, could be wrong on this. He did tell me about the rooms full of guns he had no way to display. I remember asking if he had bought all his collection or if most had been donated. He chuckled and held his hands out and said,,, to paraphrase,,,"The gun came in one hand and the money went out the other."
Some years later I went though the museum, it is beyond words, the staff said they were still cataloging the collection and would be for years. If you get the chance to spend a couple days there you'll be amazed.....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint