Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Finished my Hoch (Read 10163 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Finished my Hoch
Apr 27th, 2012 at 2:04am
Print Post  
I bought this rifle action in 1987 and just finished it this week. I've shot it for many, many years but, put the stock,  finishing touches and new ideas on it in these last months. The engraving on the right side was done when I bought the action and says  "Jefferson State Schuetzen Society".

This used to be my all around rifle but, now is my OH only rifle.

It has a floated, 14" twist,  26" Douglas barrel in 32/35 (.308 groove), I designed the stock and had it carved by a local stock maker fitted with a #4 Stevens butt plate. 

The scope is a T25 Weaver and the iron sights are Redfield International front with a PH target rear. 

It's a true 25 year work of love, finished for the most part (never know what I may think of next) that will be pried for my cold dead hands but, with a smile on my face.

Frank

« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2012 at 2:11am by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Finished my Hoch
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 8:22am
Print Post  

I like it a lot Frank !  Good styling and nice neat lines.

Now, what will the next 25 years have to offer you?

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 9:39am
Print Post  
   Another thought on your Hoch rifle.

Did Hoch sell the actions as "parts kits" or were they finished actions ready to be barreled up and stocked?

If it came to you as a parts kit that you fitted together, did you do the necessary heat treating of the frame and parts to the Rockwell "C" scale.  
If you sent the parts out, who did you have do the heat treating?  I have a project and need for such services and was interest in learning if you have a recommendation.

Thanks much

C.M.M.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Frank

It's perfect exactly my idea of the ideal offhand rifle. Best action best scope best caliber.

Boats

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Boats for the kind words Smiley

CCM,
I bought this action in the first year after Richard Hoch turned it over to Dave Fansler. The # on it is 139. I don't know if the ones Richard made were in the same numbering system but, I assume it's the 39th made either combined with Richards or just by Fansler. I prepaid it to get the engraving on it but, had to call many times to get it shipped.

It was suppose to be a finished action but, it was not!  It came assembled and the first time I cocked it, the striker stuck back in the breech block. The first shooting with it was trouble "shooting". I put many many hours into it to get it right.

After getting the action "finished", I threaded the barrel and found that the threads were skewed to the receiver. I then put in at least 8 more hours making the frame and breech block fit the threads.

I do not believe the frame was ever heat treated but, I've shot it all this time with both BSed loadings and high pressure CBA fixed loads in the 2.2cc case pushing 200 gr bullets at up to 2100+ fps with AA2520 powder. There is a lot of bearing area on the BB to frame on these actions and mine shows no sign of wear.

As much as was wrong with mine when I got it, I still think these Hochs are as good as the Miller/DeHaas actions and they have a better trigger than the MD's. I've only cleaned my trigger once or twice since i've had it and I only remember it failing to hold the striker once that was the first time I cleaned it. Mine is set down to about 8 oz.

Hope that answers your question, Web.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Frank

A rough finished Hoch was in a local shop for over a year,  set up in 30/30 for CBA shooting. Looked terrible but report was it shot real well. I thought often about buying it but never did, Regret it now.
I think they are every bit as good as a Miller and with a better trigger. It could have been made into a real nice rifle.

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Great looking combo Frank! I'd guess well worth the wait!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2012 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Frank,
Nice, nice rifle. Really like the upper fore end line from approx. bore center at the breech to the corner of the flat at the tip. Adds to the gracefulness of the rifle.
Chuck

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Thank you, Vall and Boats, I apprecaite the comments Smiley

Chuck,
I did the forearm that way to make floating the  barrel easier and I've always liked the looks of the Remington style forearms.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint