Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stevens Model 45 (Read 12879 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Stevens Model 45
Apr 18th, 2012 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
This is the rifle that I built for my girl friend to shoot. All of the metal work was done by me and most of it is shown in another thread. All thats left is the cold blue.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Re: Stevens Model 45
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Nice looking rifle Frank. Thank goodness you had a sock on!! Sure do miss Wes Millers shoots at Brea.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Nice piece of wood and a very lovely looking rifle. Did you also do the stock work and was it 90% complete or did you start from scratch. One more question where did you get the hook butt plate casting it surely does look nice as well.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Frank,

Nice job! Hope your girlfriend doesn't raise a fuss when you borrow it every now and then.     Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 1:47am
Print Post  
Well, yes, I'll get to shoot it until I get a load worked up for her.

Some facts about it. 

I bought the action in 1987 in a local used furniture store for $25, DST and all. It was a late 32/40 (locking hammer to BB) with a rusted #2 barrel, I threw the barrel away Sad

25" long,11 twist, .308 groove, .95" across the flats, 32/20.

Believe it or not, I payed $15 for that butt stock w/ the plate at a gun show. Neither the guy or I knew what it fit. I bought it just on the premise that I might find something to adapt it to. When I slid it on to my 45, I couldn't believe it Smiley The butt plate is most likely bronze, because of the color and I have no idea where it came from. BTW, I had to pay almost as much for the action and butt stock as I did for the blank Wisner extrator.

It will serve two purposes, a relative light weight rifle (8.5 lb) that is light recoiling and a platform for me to do some subsonic testing.

Tom,
Wes was a extra ordinary person and a mentor to me. His name was in the SSN in '85 when I was down there, I call him and he was responible for me shooting my first SS match there at Brea. We remained friends from '85 until he stopped coming up to the Western State shoots in Grants Pass about 1990 or so. 

He was also responcible for making a good friend of mine up here, dream come true by selling him one of his Purdy shot guns at a great price.

Frank
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2012 at 1:52am by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Bull Schmitt
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Very nice job on the rifle!!

Send picture of girl friend!! Wink

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
That right there just about made me fall out of my chair Bull Schmidt and ole Frnkeore is pretty handy with a rifle so you might better served to request a picture of the Milling Machine.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint