Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Uberti 1871 22LR (Read 6391 times)
Sendaro
Oldtimer

When the sight is on SEND
IT!

Uberti 1871 22LR
Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:51am
Print Post  
Yesterday I picked up a Uberti 1871 rolling block rifle in 22LR. It reminds me of a Remington #2 rolling block that my friend has. I've been looking to buy a #2 in 22LR for some time and have found that they are rather scarce and expensive. So the Uberti was adopted. I must say that the fit and finish is very well done, better than I had expected. Although the Uberti is not an exact copy of the Remington #2 RB it comes close. The action on the one I bought has very nice color case and the bluing on the barrel is nearly black. The wood although very straight grained is nice and it has a gloss finish. After passing a wet brush through the barrel a few times and a bunch of wet patches the barrel was give and inspection with the bore scope. It don't look like a Hart barrel but it does look nice! Using Federal 510 ammo I plinked with the rifle at ranges from 25 yards to 150 yards. Much to my surprise the rifle was right on the money and I didn't have to move the sights. Shooting golf balls at 35 to 40 yards off hand wasn't much of a challenge. Another feature of the rifle that I was pleased with was that my rifle came with a curved brass butt plate rather that a rubber one like is shown in the Uberti adds for this rifle. The brass butt plate is nearly a dead ringer for the steel butt plate on the early Remington #4 RB rifle. With a brass butt plate, brass trigger guard, and the reddish mohogony finish on the wood I find the rifle is very nice looking. The trigger pull was yet another unexpected good thing. In this day of 7 pound factory trigger pulls my little 1871 came through with a very nice pull of 1 3/4 pounds that has no creep, and breaks clean. The MSR price of nearly $700.00 is way out of line for this rifle but it can be found for sale at much less. Check out Gun Broker. I got mine NIB for $425.00. The Remington #2 RB rifle is a little larger that the 1871. When I compared the 1871 to my Remington #4 RB it appears to be nearly the same size.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2011 at 8:00am by Sendaro »  

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

When the sight is on SEND
IT!

Re: Uberti 1871 22LR
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Had another plinking session with the 1871 this afternoon. This is a fine little rifle, but my vision at this age is not what it used to be. I know that I could shoot this rifle better with a tang sight. I don't know if anyone makes a tang sight for the Uberti 1871. Looked at the Uberti web sight and they have plenty for the larger rifles but I don't see one for the 1871 RB 22 LR. Would like some suggestions.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
I had a Uberti RB in 25/20 WCF. Like yours, the fit and finish was very good. It only had a 21" barrel but, it shot very well. I got groups  just under 1" @ 100 yards BSed.

I'd buy another if I got a good deal on one.

Regarding 22rf accuracy, if you want excellent accuracy I believe you'll have to have a match chamber but, I would guess that you could get 1" groups @ 50 with it.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
MVA will make a base to fit any rifle. Takes a good sight to bring out the best in a good rifle

Boats

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
I have a Uberti #2 that has had a miroku/win .218 bee barrel fitted.  with a small scope it is a fun little walk-around rifle but I think it is a little short and light for good iron-sight accuracy. 
I have recently acquired a real nice #2, original action, nice replica wood and an unmarked but high grade heavy 22rf match chamber barrel.  It came with a more modern Lyman/Marbles tang sight which has been modified with a little bending and a shim or two to fit the Rem action. I replaced it with one of Terry Morgan's midrange tang sights and it is a real pleasure to shoot.  The longer heavier barrel and much higher grade sights and better matched ammo made a Huge improvement.  Now if I could just find a set of SST or DST and a small Remington schuetzen buttplate

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint