Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Eley EPS At Extended Range? (Read 3185 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Eley EPS At Extended Range?
Sep 9th, 2011 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Hello, everyone, I know this bullet has been out for 5 or 6 years at least, but I was wondering if any have shot the Eley EPS, flat point at extended ranges..200yds...  The reason I ask is that I have read somewhere that the std. R.N. bullet style of the .22 L.R. was the most accurate and was paterned after the old original creedmoor style nose.  I know 200yd. prone matches are not as common as before, and perhaps Eley developed this for the shorter more common ranges of today?

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Re: Eley EPS At Extended Range?
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
The accuracy of the two bullets is essentialy the same and the RN bullet is not really patterned after anything, the location and design of the drive bands have changed a few times. That being said I'd suspect the RN slug, now reffered as "pistol" might have a long range ballistic advantage.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Some of our 200yds. 22rf bench rest shooters at Etna Green use EPS all the time.  no 10 shot 250s yet but some are getting close--I think 246 or 47 is the record.  Usually it takes a 240, pretty close to MOA to finish in the top 3 or so.  EPS can do it but so can Lapua, really good Federal, and others.  Takes good consistent ammo matched to a good rifle and sights and a really good shooter who is either really lucky or who can read the wind.  Condition management is what really sorts out the good shooters

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Saturday, at Bucksnort Shooting Range, Marshall , MO., We fired the Missouri Outdoor Prone Championship.  As an extra Match we shoot a 200yd prone Match on a standard 200yd Smallbore target.  I tied for third shooting older lot Eley Tenex with a score of 195-5x. I shot the nines , pulse beat.   The  young man who tied me shot Eley Team.  The winner shot a 198-9x with Eley Match EPS in the new blue box.  The second place shot a 197-7x with Eley Team.
Kurt

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint