Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Devaluing a Hi Wall by D&T for a scope? (Read 4048 times)
zeke

Devaluing a Hi Wall by D&T for a scope?
Aug 17th, 2011 at 10:57am
Print Post  
    Hi GAng:

Would I devalue my Hi Wall by Smiley having the barrel drilled and tapped for scope blocks?

This is an orginal HW in good shape.

I asked this question before but I did not get an answer per se.

Thanks,

Zeke

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Devaluing a Hi Wall by D&T for a scope?
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 11:15am
Print Post  
It's hard to do anything that alters an original gun and not devalue it. Yes, D&T will devalue your gun.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
I'm with Marlinguy up to a point.  If it's a fine condition scarce model, such as a factory Schuetzen, yes you will devalue it a bunch.  If it's a standard sporter in less than pristine condition, and you're planning on using it as either a competition or hunting rifle, no, not so much.  If you're really concerned about value and originality, sell it to a collector and buy a new American made repro.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Zeke,
I think the best thing would be to post a picture of it. I think that we could get a much better idea of what it might do to the value.

I have a similar issue on a HW that has a very nice exterior on a 32rf barrel. It's been relined to 22 Hornet so, I don't think it would hurt it's value but, I just hate to drill on the outside of a nice old barrel that has no holes in it. If I ever do drill it, it will be for scope blocks so, at least it will still have a older flavor to it. Not 1880's but early 1900's.

Another option is to rebarrel it and then you can do what ever you like to the barrel, save the old one and then you can sell it either way or as a two barrel gun.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
+1 to what David said.  Any irreversible alteration to an original rifle will nave a negative effect on the collector value.  That said, it's your rifle and your decision.  Will having a scope installed increase the utility of your piece for you sufficiently to merit a 10-15% or more decrease in market value?  I sold the first high-wall I ever owned, a very nice 2nd year production .32-20 Plain Sporter with a #1 full octagon barrel, so I wouldn't have to make that decision.  I miss that rifle now, but would have always regretted D&T'ing it.  If you want a personalized rifle, it is still possible to find less-than-pristine examples or ones that have already been altered so the damage has already been done.  JMHO, YMMV.

Froggie

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
The first hole you drill will devalue it from $150 to $1000, depending on the rarity of the configuration.  The next 3 won't devalue it, as long as they're in the right places.  Then, after that, about $25 to $50 per hole.

It costs about $500 to rebarrel a rifle.  Maybe even $750, depending.  Many times it is cost effective to take the loss on an original, compared to taking the barrel off, selling it, or keeping it to return to original and then rebarrelling.  I don't know that it is right, it is just cost effective.

I have sold a couple of guns that were too nice to break down for an action or modify.  The first one I did this to, the seller immediately used the nice action to build a new sporter.  I sold a very nice .38-55 high wall a couple months ago because it was too nice to use for the action.  Plus, it would shoot under 2 inches at 100 yds.  The buyer told me he was going to modify it.  So, sometimes trying to do the "right" thing, doesn't work anyway.

On the other hand, I sold the first nice collectible single shot I ever owned many years ago because it was in an obsolete caliber.  The fellow told me later he was going to reline or rebarrel it.  I just traded back for it this spring, paid 20 times what I originally bought it for.  It was in similar condition to when I got it.  Sometimes they stay intact.  Now, I keep thinking about relining or rebarreling it.

dave

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
If selling anything will be used by a sharp buyer against the price.  If shooting matches that require scopes you need to have blocks.  My rifles are not investments and are set up to shoot.  However generally they are reproductions or re-built originals that were so altered it would make no difference anyway

I don't own any pristine collector guns for just that reason. If yours is particularly valuable sell it off and buy a shooter instead of drilling

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 7:59am
Print Post  
If you are worried about devaluing the rifle why not glue them on? A well known collector I know has done this many times. He uses Black Max. Just degrease the spot and glue them on. He has had no problem with them shooting off in 32-40 or 38-55. When its time to remove the blocks a sharp rap and they come off. After cleaning the glue off with acetone it is as good as new.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint