Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lanolin In Ed's Red? (Read 3451 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Lanolin In Ed's Red?
Aug 15th, 2011 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Hello, everyone.  I recently bought some Ed's Red from Brownell's..wanting to try some first before deciding to make up a larger batch later.  I didn't see Lanolin listed as an ingrediant, though advertised as original formula.  Called Brownell's..They said it doesn't have it.  I have anhydrous lanolin..wonder how much I could add to the small container of solvent?  Would it need to be heated?  Is Lanolin really necessary?  Thanks!

IP Logged

Fritz
Oldtimer

Re: Lanolin In Ed's Red?
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Arizona Sharpshooter's are selling it as"Dago Red Bore Solvent",8oz for $10.00.It contains lanolin.Just saw this for first time a couple days ago--Fritz

YIM  
IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
My understanding is that the lanolin in Ed's Red is there as a rust preventative, and that the lack of it in the mix does nothing to degrade it's performance as a bore cleaner.  According to Ed Harris, the developer of the cleaner, it was an optional ingredient.   

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 8:34am
Print Post  
I use it in my version as I am a big believer in lanolin. I add about a tablespoon per pint. The easiest way to mix it in is: Melt it and pour it into the bottle then add the Ed's Red and shake vigorously. Something I am going to experiment with is lanolin oil that is lanolin with all the wax removed. It should go in easier that anhydrous Lanolin.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint