Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Selling & Shipping to California Customers (Read 4372 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Selling & Shipping to California Customers
Aug 2nd, 2011 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Many of you know that I have written and published a book on the Browning Black Powder Cartridge Rifles and, as a FFL dealer; I buy and sell new and used Browning and Winchester BPCRs.  99.9% of my book and firearm sales are over the Internet and I sell firearms to California customers without charging an additional fee.  As a part of the firearms community and especially as a firearms dealer, one of the things I find irritating and frustrating is the refusal by many individuals and especially firearm dealers to do business with potential California customers or charge an extra fee for doing so.

Online or Internet-based firearms sales is a growing and key part of the firearms industry, and sellers should feel an obligation to sell legal firearms to anyone in any state in the USA without discrimination.  In refusing to ship firearms to California or charging extra fees, we’re doing a disservice not only to Californians, but to the firearms industry as a whole.  Every time you refuse to sell or ship a firearm to a California dealer for transfer to a local customer, you’re helping to erode their and our 2nd Amendment rights.  Think about it, many of you, hopefully the majority of you, give funds to the NRA and other organizations to help defend our 2nd Amendment rights, then you turn around and do exactly what the liberal California politicians want you to do.

Continued on next posting.

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Selling & Shipping to California Customers
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
The argument that it takes an additional and substantial amount of time and effort to sell to California customers is BS.  As a non-licensed individual, there are no special requirements.  Of course you must ship the firearm to a FFL holder in California, but the same requirement applies to any interstate firearm shipment.  FFL dealers are required to enroll in the California Firearms Licensee Check (CFLC) Program, which is easy and fast.  Subsequently, it takes less than a minute online to obtain a Firearms Shipment Approval number from the California Dept. of Justice (CADOJ) Bureau of Firearms prior to shipping a firearm to a California FFL.   

I posted similar comments on this subject some time ago, but wanted to pass along an email I recently received from a California customer.  His email reads,”Thank you for the editorial type of entry you made about dealers refusing to sell guns to Californians.  I can't tell you how frustrating it is that you can't even bid on something because of the misfortune of living in this state, and those dealers are doing exactly what the politicians wanted them to do, prevent people from buying legal guns.  Even though I have a C & R license, dealers have refused to sell me their guns and instead I have seen those guns going round and around for months on the different web sites.”

So guys, regardless of what you think about the liberal California government, give Californians a break and do your part to support the firearms community by welcoming the opportunity to sell to our friends in California and any other state in the USA.  For more details on selling and shipping to California, go to the following website: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
I never realy thought about it much since I have personaly never tried to sell something to anyone in California. If you refuse to sell there you are doing exactly what the gun control people want you to do. Selling to Califorinia residents helps our cause. Refusing to will only help the gun control crowd. As an Illinois resident with a lot of hoops to go through, I understand. Some people here just give up and quit buying guns because it is too much trouble. I go through the hoops just to prove that they may tee me off and slow me down but they will not stop me from persuing my hobby, passion, and constitutionaly guaranteed right.

IP Logged

zrifleman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
I lived in Southern California for 11 yrs. While there, I belonged to 4 different gun clubs. The enthusiasm for shooting would be the envy of any other area. All shooting ranges enjoy large crowds of people every day of the week. Those who do own guns there,are enthusiastic about firearms ownership and shooting them. They endure a lot more than many others to enjoy what many take for granted. They need support, not more obstacles.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2011 at 12:14am
Print Post  
I offer to ship to California on the few guns I sell, and mostly for the support of the firearms rights as Texasmac editorialized.

However, sales to California are not usually painless and trouble free as he indicates.  This is mostly due to the dealers there, not the buyers.  Many of the dealers there supported the absurd authorization number law.  They felt it would decrease intenet sales, and increase retail sales at their storefronts.  Accordingly, they make it hard to do internet transfers.

The last two transfers to CA I have done have been a nightmare.  The first, the fellow paid me.  Then, his FFL required me to call and talk to them, so they could determine if they would accept a shipment from me.  I had to call and talk to Rose, between 1:00 and 3:00 on Thursdays.  I called the next Thursday, not in.  I left message.  No return.  I call other times, am told only Thursdays 1 to 3.  This went on for about 5 months before they finally send me an FFL to ship.  They required that I ship from an FFL.  The buyer wouldn't get another FFL, so I paid the transfer fee and sent it to them.  it was a $125 stevens favorite, so he wouldn't pay my FFL fee.  Said not worth it.

The next fellow I sold to also had an FFL that wanted me to call.  He would not accept a shipment from an individual.  The buyer wouldn't find another FFL.  He also wouldn't pay the $40 transfer fee on my end.  I ended up eating that, and all on a $200 sale.   

I'm glad to ship to CA, but I'm going to be tough in the future about charging for that service, because it is costing me considerably more than elsewhere.  My dealer takes about 15 minutes to log into the website, enter the info, and get an authorization # to put on the transfer paperwork.  He charges me $15 more for that service than a normal transfer that he just logs into his books.  I don't blame him; that's 15 minutes that he's not running his lathe or mill and making money; he has to make it up somehow.

dave

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2011 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Dave,

It sounds like you ran into some very unique circumstances, which are not directly related to California dealers.

I've shipped dozens of firearms to California dealers.  Regardless of the state or dealer I ship to, I make it clear that the buyer is 100% responsible for finding a dealer & providing me a signed signed copy of their FFL.  If the dealer won't give a copy to the buyer then the buyer is responsible to insure the dealer either sends it to me or scans a copy and attaches it to an email to me.  I will not accept any responsibility for contacting a dealer and working out details.  If the buyer is not willing to accept that responsibility, than I won't sell them a firearm.  This applies to any buyer & transfer dealer in any state.  So far no buyer has had a problem, although a couple have asked me to work out the details with the transfer dealer, which I politely refused to do and explained why.

By the way, you said you paid the transfer fee.  I guess anything is negotiable, but, as far as I'm concerned, that's the responsibility of the buyer to pay and work out with the transfer dealer . 

Every time I've requested an authorization from CA to ship, it's taken only a minute or so & never more than a couple of minutes.  Based on my experiences either your dealer does not know the process or is vastly over exaggerating the time to justify an additional fee.  By the way, if I understood correctly, why are you using a dealer to ship a firearm?  As a individual you don’t need an FFL & can legally ship direct to any dealer in the USA, including California.  In fact, you don’t even need to obtain a California authorization # to do so.

I posted the same comments on one of the Cast Boolits forums and the following is a response from another dealer, which I agree with, “I have sent guns into California. Took MAYBE two minutes to do the online thing. No big deal, same as the NICS check.”

Wayne

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
I just shipped another Winchester BPCR to a California dealer for a local customer.  I timed the time it took to initiate the request and receive the CA Firearms Shipment Approval.  Not rushing, I started and received the approval in 1min 50 sec, so 2 minutes is a better estimate, which also included the time required for the printer to print out two copies.

Wayne

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Wayne,

I'd have you do the transfers for me if you were here.  My dealer isn't much of a computer user, and we have slow service here.  He won't do it in two minutes, no matter how much I want him to!  Glad it works for you, though.

I'd gladly send as an individual without having to do the authorization, the problem has always been on the receiving end.  The receiving dealer won't accept that.    I'll gladly ship to California, if the buyer can get their act together and get a cooperating dealer.  Both transactions I talked about, the dealer would absolutely not accept from an individual.

Not being argumentative, I know how the system should work, my experience is that it doesn't, because some buyers are putting barriers in place, as well as the sellers not wanting to ship.  A lot of the sellers have become reluctant to ship because of experiences like I have had.

dave

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Hi Dave,

I certainly don't consider your comments argumentative.  They present a view I had not run into.  Presented with those types of situations I would not sell a firearm to a CA customer, which would eliminate the problem from my end.  But, as an individual without a FFL, I can see where one might run into a problem.  Due to your comments I just called the California dealer I shipped the most recent rifle to.

He said he normally has no problems accepting delivery of firearms, especially single-shot rifles, from an individual without a FFL, but he does require a copy of the sender’s driver's license for his records.  I do the same by the way.  He did go on to say that handguns can be more problematic depending on the type of handgun.  He also said that he’s heard that some CA dealers will not accept a shipment from someone without a FFL due to CA restrictions on the type and configuration of firearms, especially those classified as “assault-type”.  Therefore, some dealers reduce the problem by only accepting firearms from FFL holders, assuming they are better educated on what constitutes a firearm that can legally be shipped to CA.

Interesting discussion and thanks for the feedback.  As one gets closer to the subject it's never black and white as it first appears 

Wayne

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
What a subject. I live in the POOR state refered to here.  Our state is BROKE, very broke, and it is strange that the amount of money used to support non citizens in this state is just the amount we are broke by? About 22 BILLION last count.
This has caused our elected officials to start charging for anything they can. So they have increased fees, and doubled and tripled fines for tickets, and now they want us to pay an Internet sales tax.
We already are fee'd to death and now more? 
But the firearms transfers are simple as a rule and no problem at all. Some of our own dealers are Sad Sacks who refuse to provide a service, and I wonder just why in the heck are they in business for? But, if we keep getting sad sacks that refuse to sell that is a shame. I also, to let everyone know, just had a fellow 6 months ago refuse to sell me 20lbs of virgin LEAD as he swore up and down it was outlawed here. Good Grief. Are these folks real? Makes me really wonder where the hell is our Country Going.
I sure do not want to end up like the folks on the other side of the pond.

Mike

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 1:57am
Print Post  
Sorry for the above ranting. 
Anyway, 2 minutes is just about correct for the time needed to complete the transfer paper work, it is simple and painless. 
Some dealers just do not have the time or patience to deal with our laws and I understand that , there choice who they do sell to.
Now for us CAL residents, we pay a,  you guessed it FEE, for the privilege of purchasing any firearm. And thank god so far they leave alone antique arms. This FEE varies but it averages about 40-80 bucks or so. The folks in charge here in this state want to penalize us to the point that we will give up guns and shooting sports period. 
In my way of thinking I just think that the folks of this state would greatly appreciate your support of our right to participate in this sport. That support would include selling firearms to residents here. 
One day soon I hope that we may have a chance of gaining back our rights here in this state. Just make sure you protect yours the next election our you could end up as bad off as we are.
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint