Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 22 lr insert (Read 3128 times)
tommyauger

22 lr insert
Aug 14th, 2011 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
At the Eau Claire shoot on fathers day a gentleman was shooting a 45-70 Ballard in the 22lf match he had an insert in his rifle. Can someone tell me more about inserts and can you get one for a 38-55 Stevens????? Thanks TommyAuger

tommyauger

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 22 lr insert
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
I build them for my rifles.  Take a Brownells Redman liner, make a cartridge case to fit your chamber out of steel, bore it to the liner size.  Soft solder liner in, face it off, chamber and headspace as normal to your rifle.  Trim to about 16 inches and crown the end.

Then get teflon tubing the exact size to fit on the liner and slip into the bore, just slip fit tight.  McMaster has the tubing in a great variety of sizes.  The tubing I cut to 1 inch long chunks.  Slip them onto the liner with about 1.5 inches between them.   

I then make a spare breech block in rimfire.  On a rolling block, it takes about 3 minutes to change from centerfire to rimfire.  More on a stevens or High wall, although on a high wall you can do the Pope rimfire/centerfire conversion lever pin.

In practice, slip the liner into the barrel, and shoot.  If it doesn't meet your accuracy expectations, push the liner out with a cleaning rod, and move the end spacer slightly on the liner, and try again.  You'll soon find a sweet spot where it shoots well.  The spacers must be uneven distances apart.  If they are spaced more or less regularly, the liner will not shoot.

My liners reliably do about 1.25 inches at 100 yards for 5 shot groups, using federal bulk pack ammo from Wal-Mart and my Axtel peep and aperture sights.  The smallest group I ever shot was about .350 on my steel chicken target, but I've never repeated it.  I've had a few others of .7 to .75.

I have a small snap-on extractor that I use to pry the empties out.  I grind a small divot at the 12 o'clock position of the chamber, to start the blade under (a craftsman extractor would work about as well, and cost $12 less).  Just look in the screwdriver department for a small flat screwdriver about 3 inches long.

I've been thinking about building a dedicated .22 rolling block.  I have an original #1 sporter action left in my cabinet, and a 3 groove benchmark 30 inch octagon barrel on my rack.  Maybe this winter.

Dave   

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 10:16am
Print Post  
tommyauger,

If memory serves me correctly, I believe Lee Shaver in Mo. and Dave Crossno of Ok, both make removable .22 inserts and are in the $150 price range, maybe higher now. There could be others I am not aware of. I have not tried one so can't comment on the accuracy so others who are more knowledgeable can speak to them.   Richard

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Here's a picture of my liner setup and a typical target.

dave

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint