Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What is it like to be very good offhand shooter? (Read 9515 times)
mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: What is it like to be very good offhand shooter?
Reply #15 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
MEUNIER rifles of any type are very nice rifles indeed. He was a very fine craftsmen. Glad you got to shoot in the match, I wonder if the old German rifle would have did as well as the Meunier?
Mike

IP Logged

Fritz
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Congratulations on your shooting Biggi --Fritz

YIM  
IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 8:13pm
Print Post  

Hi Mike.

We tested often, the German DISCHLER rifle is even a bit more accurate as the MEUNIER. Or maybe we can change again this and that with bullets and loading for getting the MEUNIER better to the perfect results. For me the DISCHLER is a lot easier to shoot, because it is smaller and light-weight. Might be made for a small person or a woman in the old days. I had a lot of luck with that king's target shot with the MEUNIER.   
Wink  Cheesy

Hi Fritz, thanks for plaudit!  Smiley  Cool

Biggi.   Smiley

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Biggi ...  SmileyYour the Best!  Congratulations Smiley
Here is a good read by Harry Pope on offhand shooting:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Further the old axiom still prevails ... Practice - Practice - Practice!
There is a BPCR competitor named Brian Chilson.  He is a top ranked Silhouette Match shooter.  During the off season he practices, to the tune of over 10,000 rounds of 22's.  For his dedication, Brian has a drawer full of 10 pins for knocking down 10 chickens in a row ... at 200 meters!  Plus multiple regional and national match wins  

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #19 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Alphawolf, in regards to your original question, I think that no shooter would claim to be rock steady, but the better offhand shooters like Jim Feren, Jim Luke, Chuck Blender, and Earl Hines will all tell you that their area of "wobble" is much smaller than mine, for instance.  Where I feel good about being somewhere close to the red of the target, they feel good about breaking the shot in the 23 ring or better!  With practice, you can keep those crosshairs in a circle the diameter of that squirrel!

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #20 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
ALPHAWOLF45 wrote on Aug 12th, 2011 at 12:56pm:
Holding offhand ,when I look through a scope at a squirrel a hundred yards away I see the crosshairs moving back and forth predominately staying in the miss the rat regions... What is it like to be a very good offhand shot ?..Are you rock steady or just very good at breaking the trigger at precisely correct alignment as barrel oscillates around in the downrange direction?

Oh! I had to go back and re read your original post. That makes three times I've read it and still didnt understand what you want to know.   

If I dont practice, I wobble all over the place and it's a terrible feeling when trying to do your best in a match.  I never practice for shooting squirrels. I just shoot um.  When I practice a lot, I dont feel any different but my scores are much higher.  Just aiming a rifle on a thumb tack on the wall for fifteen minutes a day can make a big difference in your OH shooting ability.  Your grip, arms and back need to be strong and trained for OH shooting, that takes practice.  For me anyway. Some shooters Like Biggi can go to another country, use someones rifle and shoot good scores.  That ability and the fact that she shoots a LOT of OH matches keeps her in the winners circle. 

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 11:50pm
Print Post  

For me, there was never the question how to shoot. We don't have these bench rest contests in Germany. On our schuetzen-matches, one is allowed to shoot with the fore stock or the barrel on a small round bench at the age of 78 years. 

Hhhmmm, so I have to wait still 30 years till I am allowed to shoot my old German target rifle from a bench...  Wink  Grin

So I tried it last weekend the first time in my life, that I shoot a German Aydt schutzen rifle in a real contest OH on 200 yards. These were 100 shots in two days. The first day it was very good, I shot also a 207 target. And my Saturday-result was better than Pat Bowlands... 

...okay, he had a really bad day. *huh* My Sunday result wasn't sooo bad, but at least I made the 5th place in that contest. And Pat won the match! Congratulations to that excellent shooter! *bigsmile*

I have to admit, that I have really problems on a sighting-in day to get the rifle on a bench adjusted. I never did that before. So I made my sighting-in also OH, so I got a better feeling for that distance and how it works.

Next week there is another Match at Hamilton. Ooohh, we'll see how it will work there with that OH shooting...  Roll Eyes  Wink 

Biggi.  Smiley

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

ALPHAWOLF45

Reply #22 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Thankyou to those of you who took your time to answer my question....I build guns is my hobby. I am thinking about joining a local gun club in some of their matchs but I dont think I have the capability to maintain good sport attitude if I consistantly come in with last place finish in every event I enter...Be a lot easier on ones own self image to come in with better score. Hence my questions....Now I believe I'll invest in large quantity of .22 cartridges and git to practicing at home......And will build myself a couple shuetzens.. Looks like a bit of fun.

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Hey Alpha, do practice at home but please fo the range also, as you will gain the experience needed for good control at the range. In the service we had lots of guys who were by there accounts excellent shots, but in the end most gave up trying to fire at the range using their techniques and not the services, we even had a bunch of the guys come up at the end of it all all say gee, I thought I was real good until I learned what you were teaching us.
The biggest thing is always safety and to hell with the rest. If you can't be safe you do not belong on any range. Pay attention when at the range, we are all getting older. I had a fellow at a local range swat at a bee with a finger on the trigger, was not a fun thing to see, no injuries but a couple of really scared folks including me and the shooter who was past embarrassed.
Any way, if you go to the range you will get used to it and have the support of the other shooters. Get yourself as comfortable as possible while shooting and just enjoy it. It is loads of fun. One of the best thing I ever learned was to not wait to long for each shot as the longer I wait the worse the wobble gets, So, I now take a deep breath, then aim and as soon as I'm on target I squeeze her off. Works good for me and keeps the freezer full, and the squirrels hide.
Mike

IP Logged

chrisj

Reply #24 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
I'll be so immodest to claim to be a very good off hand shooter.  In ten shots at 100 yards i will typically shoot a 215 to 225, occasionally over 230 and on one very rare occasion a 238. I only shoot w/ a scope.

The original question is what do you see.  I let the cross-hairs move about in front of the target and try to keep my eye on the little white dot in the middle.  When I first bring the rifle up, the sights are all over the place but very quickly settle into bouncing around randomly in the 18 ring black and then quickly to a smaller area that depends on how much practice I have had.  Sometimes the 20 ring is the best the pattern will get, but occasionally it gets as good as the 23 ring for me.

If the pattern of movement is off to one side or the other, I set the rifle down, reposition and start over.  If the pattern bounces all around the center but never crosses the middle, I start over.  And if in the very rare occasion the sights sit on the center, I set down the rifle and start over.  Any pattern that does not match what I am accustomed to is cause to set the rifle down.  At least that's what I try to do.

Once position and mechanics are acceptable, the most important thing is concentration.  Concentration can make up for small flaws in position but nothing can make up for an ill-timed moment of lack of concentration.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint