Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What is it like to be very good offhand shooter? (Read 9512 times)
ALPHAWOLF45

What is it like to be very good offhand shooter?
Aug 12th, 2011 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Holding offhand ,when I look through a scope at a squirrel a hundred yards away I see the crosshairs moving back and forth predominately staying in the miss the rat regions... What is it like to be a very good offhand shot ?..Are you rock steady or just very good at breaking the trigger at precisely correct alignment as barrel oscillates around in the downrange direction?

IP Logged

classicchecker
Ex Member

Re: What is it like to be very good offhand shooter?
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Being a very accurate off-hand shot is nothing but pure luck.  The more you practice, the luckier you get.   Tim   Wink

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
When I go to the range in the early fall there it is filled with deer hunters practicing from the bench.  Most are amazed at what I can hit standing position at 100 yds with iron sights.  So I practice standing postion every time I go to the range.  Someday I MAY get good at it.  

But to answer  your question directly - it really feels good to point out a fragment of a clay pigeon at 100 yds and to hit it or bury it on the first shot AND THEN to hand the rifle to the person who is watching you and say 'your turn'.

Then the real fun begins, as you teach how to stand in the right position, sight alignment, breathing and trigger control - and the person gets much better in a few rounds.  (Did that last night with 3 guys watching me with the .458WM and the .405Win.)  I'm still at 3-5 MOA standing at 100yds iron sights - but to them it was amazing.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Like Tim said A good fitting rifle and a lot of trigger time. I have a newly aquired mod 72 beretta 22lr  the more I practice the more i get into the black. With me its a rythem.
Tom

IP Logged

rhbrink

Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
This should be a very good thread I thinks. 

It's "ZEN" whatever that is or something like it you must become the bullet grasshopper! Watch out for the 'gremlins" along the way for there are many.

Seriously, it's lots and lots of practice, hand to eye coordination, mind over matter and lots and lots of practice.

Years ago when I was a good offhand shot a lot of people watching me shoot would all marvel on how steady I was. What they couldn't see was how bad those sights would wobble all around the target. To me it's get close and squeeze a bit wobble off and get close and squeeze a bit more, repeat until the rifle goes off or you pass out "not a good thing" range officers don't like that. Then go practice some more it almost becomes a religion if you will, a way of life.

Practice, practice, practice then practice some more.

Good luck,  Richard

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Good start would be reading David Tubbs book. 

He is a strong advocate of approach shooting offhand. Settle off the target swing in and break the shot.   Everybody has a different wobble area some large some small but few are able to hold the rifle steady on target.  If you can get the timing down and have good trigger control it's possible to shoot very good scores even though you can't hold the rifle on target.

Of course that's not all there is to it, good solid positon, well fitting rifle,  as well as a consistent mount routine are important too. But none as important as trigger control and breaking the shot when the rifle is on target.

Boats

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
I'll add a little more on how the original schuetzen shooter thought about it and I do think they have a point.

You need to stand as comfortable and as erect  possible. Head and neck erect, too. Thats why the old OH stocks look like they do. High Powder shooter will disagree with me but, you don't want your body all tensed up or pulling on anything like a sling or forearm. RH had good advice on trigger control. For me, I found that putting a little twist in my torso (maybe 10 deg) helped a little. I do not like shooting jackets. I consider them artificial support but, they are legal if you want to strap yourself in one during these summer months.

I'm not a good OH shooter my highest score was 210 but, 190 - 200 is about average WITH PRACTICE!!! I did study it though (I wanted to be good  Cry) My big thing was flinching. If you talk to the really good OH shooters, most if not ALL will tell you to dry fire, dry fire, dry fire!!!! Back in Jim Ferens day, he told me that he would dry fire at least 500 times a night and shoot his 22 as often as possible. A local champion High power shooter, Richard Corbin (of bullet swag fame) told me the same thing about dry firing. Dry firing helps with flinching too but, it does not cure it.

I wish, I wish, I wish,

Frank

« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2011 at 9:17pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
focus focus focus, opps!!!! stray thought

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #8 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Whats it like to be a very good offhand shot?   Well, for women like Biggi, it's a kick in the pants to beat the boys and take home a nice king target.

Here's a picture of Biggi Hoelsher, today, right after she won her first King target in the USA.  Judging from the money in her hand and the expression on her face, it must feel awful good!

Joe.   Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
I have to honestly say.... I really don''t know!

dave

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Atta girl, Biggi!!

Congratulations!!

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
I like what Cat Whisper stated. It takes loads of practice, but it also takes good habits at the range. These habits are thing's he mentioned such as controling your breathing, control of your trigger finger, and control of how you hold your weapon. I shot expert for years with m14 and m16 rifles that were so worn out we were lucky to hit anything. Navy Seabee's are known for doing more with less and have been for years. Our greatest help was the fact that each unit had several Marines in charge of our weapons training and those Master Gunnery sergeants are folks that you learn to listen to. I actually saw our Gunny walk right up a LTJG's back side while said LTJG was lying in the prone position at  our range,  and our Gunny stood on him to get him to do what he wanted. JG was not a happy camper but did learn how to shoot. 
What I'm getting at here is that if you want to do really good take the time to really go shooting. We burned up about 1-3,000 rds per month years ago for our senior troops in some outfits. Other outfits barely had enough ammo to qualify at the range, and the overall scores showed it. More ammo means a chance at a higher score. That is why when you pick a rifle to shoot competitively pick something in some caliber that will not beat the tar out of you every time you pull the trigger. 
Now this is not to say that if you don't burn up large volumes of ammo you are not getting anywhere. But historically if you were to ask any major competitor in any shooting sport such as trap & skeet, or what ever it takes practice with lots of ammo. 
Hope this info helps
Happy Days at the range.
Mike

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 10:43pm
Print Post  

Thanks, BP!

Was fun that match and winning the target!  Wink Cheesy Grin

OH is the German way of shooting schuetzen rifles and muzzle loader.

Biggi.    Smiley

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Hi Biggie, is that an original rifle or a reproduction, it is a nice one from what I can make out in the pictures.
Excelllent shooting.
Mike

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 6:57pm
Print Post  

Hi Mike.

Yepp, that's an original American "MEUNIER" muzzle loader rifle from the 1860's. The owner of the rifle is the well known WESTERNER.  
Wink

The plan was shooting with an old German DISCHLER / Munich (approx. 1865) muzzle-loader-rifle, but we had a technical problem. So I made that king's target shot with the nice Meunier.

As you can see, it worked very good OH on those 100yards! *hehe*

Biggi.    Smiley

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint