Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) wind flags (Read 18460 times)
Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Re: wind flags
Reply #30 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Tom -

Of course.  But we're talking theory here - don't cloud the issue with practicality!

My biggest frustration (at Quantico) was watching the two flags at the end 600 yard line blowing full tilt - the one on the left indicating wind from left to right and the flag on the right indicating wind from right to left!  Where the two winds met was somewhere in the the middle.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #31 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 9:10am
Print Post  
What I am using now is a combination of flags and a wind probe. The probe and the first flag at about 25 feet. After that I place my flags according to the range but at about 50, 75, and 100 yards. There are ranges where I place another flag at about 150. That is about all the balls I can keep in the air. You can get too much information. While you sit and try to process all the information, you loose the shot.  It can be like trying a three-cushion combination, It just gets confusing. After a while I am really watching the probe, my first flag and one other intently then keeping an eye out for change on the others.

40 Rod

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #32 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Quote:
How are you going to get all of these flags between you and the varmint, Learn conditions with triggertime. watch the grass and leaves. Be aware of your suroundings. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Practice in the wind with a 22 so you know how to deal with it. practice is what seperates the winners from the competitors, Good eyesight and some intelegence also helps.
Tom

How do you get all the windflags between you and the varmit?  For target shooting, I use aluminium poles. Five of them. 

The thread is about windflags for target shooting, not varmits.   

My god man, read the thread!  We might start suspecting you have bee's in your bonnet!   Grin

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
In my shooting, I watch the first and only flag for me and the mirage for the rest of the distance. Like 40_rod says, it gets to confusing to try to take in 3 or more flags. At bigger shoots, there are flags EVERYWARE and if you try to watch them, well good luck. They can fly 3 or more directions over just 100 yards ( a range near Eugene OR was famous for that).

The closest flag means the most. The deflection near the muzzle holds all the way to the target. The other wind patterns can effect it but, the wind at the muzzle means the most. I have as much or more trouble with light changes, I wish there were a "light Flag". 

Frank
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2011 at 3:12pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #34 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
I agree with you on the closest flag having the most effect.

But reading others flags?  Not good.  When they leave and you're still shooting you realize the wind is still blowing and ....   Shocked

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Cat, I try very hard to ignore the other flags, It's actually very distracting. It looks like a parade is about to start in a big match. I keep looking for the Majorettes with there batons to start across the field at anytime and a cease fire to be called to let them pass  Grin

Seriously though, I only use the close flag and use mirage to make a minor adjustment at 200.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #36 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Aug 15th, 2011 at 3:25pm:
Cat, I try very hard to ignore the other flags, It's actually very distracting. It looks like a parade is about to start in a big match. I keep looking for the Majorettes with there batons to start across the field at anytime and a cease fire to be called to let them pass  Grin

Seriously though, I only use the close flag and use mirage to make a minor adjustment at 200.Frank

Thanks, the above is the simple summary from experience that is a good rule to remember.

Do you find that in general wind adjustments are L-R (except perhaps for shooting into or with the wind) and mirage Up-Down?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
This is how my mind set is on wind....... L to R and high and low for away and into the wind at the muzzle. I use the clock direction that the mirage is moving for the minor correction. i.e. center hold (from muzzle correction), move up in the clock direction and what I perceive the amount should be. Then additionally, I never shoot if the mirage is boiling. 

These things I learned from a good friend that was a High Power shooter.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #38 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Biggi and I attended a Schuetzen match at Glasgow Montana this weekend.  Pat Bowland won the SB and ISB 30 shot matches using three daisy wheels spaced out to the one hundred yard line.   The wind was fairly steady and the same direction for each day.  I never saw the wind change directions in a day once. If it was left to right in the morning, that's the way it stayed. About three to four minutes windage necessary.  

Pat used a #1 rolling block with 38/55 GM barrel smithed by John King.

Sock windflags would have worked okay in this match but wouldnt show the difference in wind velocities as well as a daisy wheel.  I think Pats daisy wheels have one blade painted black to help show the speed of the wheel better.  Pat also spends extra time making sure his flags are aligned just right so he can see them while in shooting position.  His scores were mid 240's and one was a  248-8c.  When was the last time anyone saw a roller post a 248?  

Joe.   Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2011 at 12:02am by westerner »  

IP Logged

rhbrink

Reply #39 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 6:00am
Print Post  
I was shooting in a CBA match this past weekend using my 32-40 breechseated shooting 10 shots for record in 15 minutes really pushes me. I am getting better at it but this weekend the wind was changing from 3:00 blowing 5 to 20 mph then switching to about 10:00 blowing just as hard. The real problem for me was that it would change in about a heartbeat. I swear that a couple of times it changed so fast that if you blinked a eye the flags were moving in almost 180*. One problem that I noticed was that the wind has to change before the flags can  change and the flags would often would swap ends after the shot was made = bad deal. Couldn't always read the mirage because a dark cloud would roll through every couple minutes mirage would come and go very quickly. I'm now on a quest to build a very light wind flag hoping for a faster changing indicator. I shot rather poorly I might add as did everyone else especially at the 200 yard line. Any ideas for a very fast change indicator?

Richard

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #40 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 9:08am
Print Post  
The key to having your flags as sensitive is balance and having the shaft that the flag swings on plumb. Its one of the reasons I don't use stands that sit on the ground not every place I shoot is flat. 
  On another subject it can be useful to glance at the other flags from time to time. You often can watch a condition move across the range. 
  This ain't easy, I learn something new almost every time I go out. I have learned more from shooting next to Dale Reynolds than I can absorb in a sitting. He's the best wind doper I know. It scares me how much information he can process and still remember to shoot.

40 Rod

40 Rod

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #41 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 10:05am
Print Post  
rhbrink wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 6:00am:
I was shooting in a CBA match this past weekend using my 32-40 breechseated shooting 10 shots for record in 15 minutes really pushes me. I am getting better at it but this weekend the wind was changing from 3:00 blowing 5 to 20 mph then switching to about 10:00 blowing just as hard. The real problem for me was that it would change in about a heartbeat. I swear that a couple of times it changed so fast that if you blinked a eye the flags were moving in almost 180*. One problem that I noticed was that the wind has to change before the flags can  change and the flags would often would swap ends after the shot was made = bad deal. Couldn't always read the mirage because a dark cloud would roll through every couple minutes mirage would come and go very quickly. I'm now on a quest to build a very light wind flag hoping for a faster changing indicator. I shot rather poorly I might add as did everyone else especially at the 200 yard line. Any ideas for a very fast change indicator?

Richard

Those are the toughest conditions to shoot in. If I cant keep up with the switches I cross my fingers and do the best I can.  Tommy's range in Spokane has those switchy winds. It always amazes me how many 250's are shot there.  Some shooters seem have the knack for wind and some dont.  It's not fair.  Sad

Joe.   Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint