Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) wind flags (Read 18442 times)
jonskorepa
Ex Member

wind flags
Aug 11th, 2011 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
what type ball or daisey wheel do you prefer and WHY ple help me out with choosing a style. tks  jon

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: wind flags
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
John I have had the best success using a wind sock they are one dimensional showing both wind direction and speed with just one look and I use three each at both 100 & 200yds and they are very sensitive and inexpensive to make. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

LynnF
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
What material do you use for the sock?
Lynn

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Lynn it is the cheapest garbage you can find like the ones you would use in your small trash container at home. The cheap ones are made of the thinnest material which equates to less weight and more sensitivity those are the ones you want to buy. The seam of the sock is scotch taped together and then turned inside out so the seam is on the inside. The sock is also scotch taped to whatever you are going to attach it to. The one in my picture is attached to a ring cut out of a used 1 gal paint pail. You can also go to Wall Mart and pick up some real cheap one gal plastic flower pots and cut the bottom out. 

I used them in the rain so don't worry about the scotch tape not holding is amazingly rugged even in temps over 100 or as cold as 32 I have never had it fail. I use the Scotch brand not the cheap stuff.

All of the top schuetzen shooters at our club have abandoned vanes, tails and daisy wheels and have switched over to these socks

J.Louis

IP Logged

jonskorepa
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
how do you judge the wind velocity and how they preform  during rapidly switching 10 to 15 mph winds? do they tangle or hang up partly turned inside out? what do you use for the pivot bearing assembly.  tks  jon

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Please send me a PM and I will try to explain it in further detail.

J.Louis

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
John
How do you decide when to release your shot? Do you wait for the flag to be in a specific position? I have never used flags. I watch the grass and leaves. A top shooter once told me he holds off intil the flag drops,
Tom

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Please send me a PM and I will address your question to the best of my ability as currently I am not the most popular guy on this site and I will not put myself in a position to be challenged by the knowledge of the arm chair experts.

J.Louis
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2011 at 9:07pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Jon, 
the one time I shot a match at Modesto, the wind was strong but steady, very steady. There were a lot of sock style flags being used that weekend. I would estimate ninety percent. That was 2002-3? They were the best style flag for that steady wind. 
Bev Pinney has been using the sock style for years. They are very good in steady wind. 

In switchy winds like Cody Wyoming, Springfield Oregon, Spokane Washington, Butte Montana, Salt Lake City, Grand Junction Colorado, Tacoma Washington, Fort Lewis Washington, Capital City Rifle Range in Washington, Raton New Mexico, Chilliwack Canada, Vancouver Island, Glasgow Montana, Puyallup Washington, Naches Washington, Etna Green, Hamilton Montana, Sherwood Oregon, Golden Colorado, Fort Collins Colorado, Wenatchee Washington etc.etc. I think the daisy wheel flags with a tail are much better. There is no long tail to get fouled around the flag support. The daisy wheel style seems to respond faster than a sock. I've shot matches at all these locations, and more. Bench rest and offhand as well as other shooting disciplines.  If I shot all my matches at Modesto, and if the winds tend to be very steady as was my observation in the past I would most certainly recommend the sock style flags. I hope this post has helped you Jon.  By the way, the best SS BR shooter in the country, my good friend Tommy Mason, uses daisy wheels. Tommy also has much experience at ranges all over this country and Canada. 

Good shooting,   Joe.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2011 at 11:46pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
John
How do you decide when to release your shot? Do you wait for the flag to be in a specific position? I have never used flags. I watch the grass and leaves. A top shooter once told me he holds off intil the flag drops,
Tom

Hmmm.  Having a spotter with you helps a lot.  (Note that I get excited about myself beginning to teach myself about watching the wind - excited when I look at my neighbors flags, estimate holding an inch left (.22 LR at 100yds) and having that round drop into the 25 ring.  Excited because it doesn't happen that often but I'm getting better at it.)

A couple of years ago I was spotting for a friend shooting a .243 at a couple of hundred yards at a prairie dog.  Pull left Stan.  More left Stan.  More left Stan.  Hmmm. Getting there.  How far left are you holding?  Stan says, "six feet".

Observe, guess, shoot, evaluate and repeat.

I call my shot (where I think it hit) when the rifle goes off.  Concentrate on regaining position.  THEN look to see where it hit.  At the last shoot, I called correctly the position/direction of most of all 40 shots.  50/50 on hits, but of those that missed, I knew where they hit from my sight picture.  That being correctly done is the step needed to improve.  Why did I throw that one (left right up down) - fix the why.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #10 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
I forgot to mention what style flags I use. I use sock style for all my shooting, BR and OH. If daisy wheels are better, why dont I use them? Good question!  I use sock style because my youngest daughter made them for me when she was about ten years old. I love those flags.  I dont care all that much for BR shooting so use Tommy Masons flags or whomever's are handy at the moment plus my wonderful wind socks. 

My windsock making daughter Aliann, 16 years. 

Joe.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2011 at 10:49pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
SPEAKING OF ARMCHAIR EXPERTS

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #12 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Quote:
SPEAKING OF ARMCHAIR EXPERTS

HEY!  I've seen good groups shot from arm chairs!  ALL the beer cans landed in the pike off the back poarch - NONE of them on the sidewalk!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #13 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
I use a sock very similar to J Louis's.  Only difference is I painted the inside of my cup black so I could tell if the wind was quartering away from me or toward me.  (Eyes are not so good)

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #14 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 8:38am
Print Post  
A few years ago I replaced my old flags I bought wind flags from Sinclair. I never have liked the daisy wheels so I removed them and made a pointer/counterweight to balance out the front. When you set up your flag make sure that you set up the flag so it is balanced front to back. The better the balance the more sensitive the flag will be. Make sure that your post is plumb. If it is set up crooked the flag will tend to list to that side. Pay attention to the size of your vain the bigger it is the more sensitive it will be to direction changes. Mine are now about 8" X 11". I started using the black tails that Sinclair sells but my eyes are going and I can't see them at distance anymore so now I use engineer tape, pick a color that you see well. I attach my tails using two snap swivels held together with a split ring. It makes it easy to take them off to put them away or dry them in the morning. 
  One last tip. For wind sock material Marlin Bassett used to use material  from a bread bagging machine it was already a tube and he could just roll it off and cut it to any length.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint