Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cartridge identification help... (Read 2446 times)
powderhead

Cartridge identification help...
Jul 27th, 2011 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
My neighbor was working on a ranch in Montana about 25 years ago.  They were doing some work in old bunkhouses and dug into some pack rat nests.  He found a treasure trove of old cartridges in them.  He found enough to fill a coffee can.  He has given me six, one of which I can't identify.  On the base at 9 o'clock is TE (the E is below the T), at 3 o'clock is BS (where the S is below the B),  at 12 o'clock is 16 at 6 o'clock is 2.  Can any one tell me what this is?  By the way, this cartridge has the largest center fire primer I have ever seen.

The others he gave me are a 45-90, 45-70, 33C.F., 40-32, and 32-40.  All in all some pretty neat old cartridges.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Cartridge identification help...
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
TE IS FOR Ateliers de Construction de Toulouse

BS is for Ateliers de Laminage de Ecole de Ptrotechnie, Bourges

it is French military ammunition, probably WW 1.  My guess is that the 16 means 1916 and the 2 means that it was made in the second quarter of the year.

What is the bullet diameter?

About 8 mm or about 11 mm?

IP Logged

powderhead

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
I'll have to mic the bullet to see what cal. it is, but thank you for the quick reply.  I sorta thought it was a French (possibly Lebel) cartridge, but I didn't have any resources to check.
Thanks again.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
One of the designators loaded the ammo and the other supplied components, probably the cartridge case.  But the BS I think may also have been associated with incendiary bullets. 

If it is 8mm and rimmed, it is the Lebel (8x50mm rimmed).  If it is about 43 caliber and jacketed, it is probably for a Gras but may be for a Hotchkiss heavy machine gun.  If it is for the Hotchkiss, it may be loaded with some sort of incendiary bullets.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint