Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Modern Scope rings on old style Scope blocks (Read 13992 times)
BRKHornet
Ex Member

Modern Scope rings on old style Scope blocks
Jul 1st, 2011 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Looking for information on installing a modern scope ring on the old style target R/F scope blocks. I would like to protect my Redfield 3200 w/ something like a Burris Signature ring, just not sure on fit. The Rimfire Standard blocks on my H&R M12 appear to be a odd dimension, a 3/8" mount is very loose when slid into place. Any ideas or suggestions?

thanks, BRKHornet
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2011 at 9:33pm by »  

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Modern Scope rings on old style Scope blocks
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the insanity, BRKHornet.  I use old style Kimber double  lever rings on Unertl bases on my Ruger No. 3 Schuetzen, though I think that Talley rings would also work.  You may need different bases or a bit of work on the rings to make them fit better.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

BRKHornet
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried a set of Talleys for a CZ American which are suppose to be 3/8" and they will not tighten up. I  slid a BKL mount on and it was also loose. I'll check out the Kimbers. Are the Unertl bases the Posa style?

Thanks,
BRKHornet

38_Cal wrote on Jul 1st, 2011 at 8:53pm:
Welcome to the insanity, BRKHornet.  I use old style Kimber double  lever rings on Unertl bases on my Ruger No. 3 Schuetzen, though I think that Talley rings would also work.  You may need different bases or a bit of work on the rings to make them fit better.

David

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Contact Steve Earl he can make you a set of blocks to fit your needs.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 11:08am
Print Post  
I used rings for the old type Kimber bases, which are dimensionally like the Unertl, with the exception of a recoil shoulder on the front side.  The newer Warne Premier rings (now out of production, too) used a groove across the base and a lug inside one of the ring bottom sections to stop recoil movement.  Talley rings still are intended for the shoulder.  Rings that are gun specific will probably not work on Unertl bases.   

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Try Millet rings for .22 rails. I've found they have a lot of adjustment and will clamp the dovetail target bases with ease. I also used them on a Aydt German Schuetzen rifle to clamp the factory rib.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

BRKHornet
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the tip on Millet Rings, I'll keep this in mind. In regards to the value of the 3200 scope, what I'd really like to do is install Burris Signature R/F rings on the rifles's Std. target blocks. I'm just not sure without ordering a pair if they will fit snugly enough. I guess if they would not clamp up, I could have a machinist make correctly sized target block replacements. 

BRKHornet
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2011 at 9:44pm by »  

IP Logged

Subsailor

"Sharks of Steel" U.S.
Submarine Force

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2011 at 10:37am
Print Post  
On my H&R M12 I used a Weaver Converta-Mount Systems to mount a Barska 8-32x42 AO scope. The mount is attached to the iron sight mounting holes on the side of the action. I had to take contour the bottom of the mount some to match the contour of the action and relieve the inside of the wood too. The AO was just to large to use the barrel mounts. This is my Small Bore Silhouette rifle.

Craig  

ASSRA #9843
N-SSA 6785-V
NRA
LT. USN (Retired)
U.S.Submarine Veterans Inc.
Silent Service MC
GTalkYIM  
IP Logged

BRKHornet
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2011 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Looks like a solid set-up. Does it shoot well? I also have a BKL mount w/ adapter to mount modern scopes for the M12 although what I'm trying to do is a bit different. The M12 came with barrel blocks and I intend to install a period correct Redfield 3200 24X to these blocks. I have the original Redfield mounts although don't feel the quality is there and want to use a modern mount such as a Burris Signature w/ inserts to protect my investment on the scope. The issue is the rings have to fit the blocks and this is where I see variables. I may just spring for the Burris rings and have blocks made to fit perfectly if the originals do not. 

BRKHornet

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 3rd, 2011 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
If your talking about standard Unertl/Lyman scope block on 7.2 centers, I make a adapter to use a Weaver rings (or Redfield) on those scope blocks.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BRKHornet
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2011 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
My Standard Target blocks do measure 7.2" between centers. Can you explain your adapter in detail and which rings will fit? Will a Burris Signature Rimfire ring fit?

Thanks,
BRKHornet

frnkeore wrote on Jul 3rd, 2011 at 4:51pm:
If your talking about standard Unertl/Lyman scope block on 7.2 centers, I make a adapter to use a Weaver rings (or Redfield) on those scope blocks.

Frank

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2011 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Hornet,
I have to leave for 2 days and can't find the pictures of it now. I sold 3 of them to members of this forum. If they could help you, I'd appreciate it. Other wise, I'll post pics when i get back Tuesday night.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BRKHornet
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 3rd, 2011 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
No Problem,
Thanks

BRKHornet

frnkeore wrote on Jul 3rd, 2011 at 10:10pm:
Hornet,
I have to leave for 2 days and can't find the pictures of it now. I sold 3 of them to members of this forum. If they could help you, I'd appreciate it. Other wise, I'll post pics when i get back Tuesday night.

Frank

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
BRK,
This is my 5/8" tall adaptor, I also make them 7/8" or even 1" tall.they are 10" long, overall and the part that slides onto the scope blocks is 8 7/16 long. Any cross bolt spacing for your Weaver rings. The price is the same for any of the heights at $85 delivered. I do them for $75 delivered if I get orders for 3 or more.

They can be ordered drilled and tapped for Redfield (336 Marlin) bases, also, same price.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BRKHornet
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Thanks for posting the picture. Looks like a neat way to do things. I've been sorting through some ideas I have and may have discovered a method to allow me to mount the scope. I have to get some more dimensions and order couple parts.

Thanks,
BRKHornet

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint