Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Quigley Match (Read 6801 times)
RCRBanjo

Quigley Match
Jun 14th, 2011 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
If you'll be out at the Quigley Match, Forsyth, Montana this coming weekend, stop by our vendor tent and say "Hello".  The recent weather info is that the match is on schedule but it's just a little greasy yet but are letting trailers and motor homes in whenever it's dry enough.  Usually about 700 shooters show up, so it's a lot of activity!

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Quigley Match
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2011 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Which vendor tent?

I'll be there, I'm easily recognizable.  Middle aged to older, gray beard, fat belly, balding.   Grin

If you really want to find me, ask someone shooting a remington "who do you know here that can work on a rolling block trigger?"   

Or look for the oldest, most decrepit, most unique authentic original cowboy hat.

Either of those two items are unique to me.

Dave

IP Logged

RCRBanjo

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2011 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Yo der Dave ~ Might be a problem as just about everybody is middle aged or older, gray beard, fat belly and balding - Hah!   We're supposed to be right next to Axtel Rifle Co. my buddy says.  We have long guns and misc items for sale under a 10x10 tent.  My buddy sells a cartridge pusher gadget.  He's been there since Monday after shooting the Baker Match.  I usually wear a Bannack, Montana Masonic baseball hat.  Weather is sunny and clear today.  There's about a dozen of us that shoot together on the same relay and I think a couple of them shoot Rollers.  As I remember, Linda G., top lady shooter in the country, shoots a Roller, also.

IP Logged

deadwooddick

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
If you haven't heard the foresast for Forsyth, MT, an additional 2 inches of rain in the next few days. The 2011 match has been canceled. 

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Canceled for how long? The whole year?    Shocked

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Joe, Til next year! Sad Sad Sad Just got back this evening. 752 miles one way and my head is hanging low. Some people came from as far away as Australia so I shouldn't feel near as bad as them.  Smiley You can't believe how much the town of Forsyth and the Forsyth Rifle and Pistol club go out of their way to put this match on.  Everybody loses on this one but it's the first time in 21 years.  I talked to one of the locals this morning before we left and he said they have received more than half their normal rainfall for the year in the last 3 weeks. Bob

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Man! Thats not good.   Ouch!  Sad

Joe.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2011 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
It rained most of the way to Cody a few weeks ago.  I thought nothing of it because we average 55 inches of rain a year.  When I got near Cody I heard someone on the radio say Cody was bracing for another *rain event*   Huh   I'd never heard that term before.  It made me laugh, no one in Cody was laughing.  I didnt know it seldom rains there.   

Was it flooding at Forsyth that cancelled the match? Or just rain?   

Joe.    Smiley

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2011 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Just rain mostly.  The grounds have a lot of clay in it and it was just saturated.  Wednesday was a beautiful practice day and the gounds were dry by midmorning.  Another half an inch Wed. night and they had to close the grounds again because another 1-2" were predicted for Friday. They spent Thursday getting everybody out of camp and it had to be a difficult decision to make but it was the right one.  With over 600 shooters last year, and I'm only guessing at this but there are probably around 1500 to 2000 people there, maybe more.  The KC's put on a cream can dinner on Friday night and the boy scouts have a steak fry Sat night.  Cub scouts and boy scouts have lunches during the day and pancake breakfast on Sun. This will be a huge monetary loss for these groups and vendors. Sagebrush sells hundreds of items and shirts with Quigley prints on them dated with the year.  Other vendors do to.  On the way out and home, I-94 had water over it in one spot east of Bismark.  The Yellowstone was flooded in many spots but not in town.  Bob

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2011 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Just pulled back into home.  We shot thursday between when the mud got walkable, and when it got driveable so we could get the truck out and on the road.  My wife (a nominal non-shooter) shot for the first time ever at Quigley, about 50 rounds on the circle at 600 yards with the .38-72.  She's excited about shooting the match next year.  She was able to hit every round for about 35 rounds after we got on the target and got the technique worked out, she's now convinced that the targets are shootable, and that the recoil is manageable.  I hadn't told her yet that I've got a rifle in the works for her already, will be ready long before next years match.

We were disappointed to miss a year, but that's the way it goes.  I was just glad they cancelled instead of letting people muck in and out with their vehicles and ruin the site for years in the future.  This is about 20 acres of a working ranch that's used to park and camp and shoot from.

The wind in the storm Wednesday was strong enough that it was flattening my Eureka mountain tent down enough to hit us in our sleeping bags.  I spent about an hour or so, holding onto one of the fiberglass cross poles to keep it up, was glad when the wind slacked off; my arms were getting tired.  It sure is a good feeling to be in a dry tent in a storm like that.  A person ought to experience that once or twice a year.  We spend too much of our lives inside, and in front of a computer.

Next year!

dave

IP Logged

RCRBanjo

Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
I think Buz and Committee made the right decision.  Lots of frustration and disappointment, tho.  It was so slippery Friday at the range you couldn't walk.  Some shooters went over to Big Hill at Baker and had a Saturday shoot and others toured the Sharps factories in Big Timber.  I've been hunting out there for 23 years and our band has played the bluegrass festival a number of times, so my wife and I turned it into a vacation/social event.  We had a whoop 'em up jam session Saturday night.  Even the local gendarme paid a visit.  I can imagine what the neighbors had to say when they saw all those cars and the local police paying a visit.  They didn't know the officer was a bluegrass guitar player!  I think there was alot of talk about having a "Plan B" in the future.  Possibly the youth shooters and selected others could shoot at the small range near town and at least the vendors could set up and all the prizes could be distributed.  Anyways, we still managed to make a good time out of it and the match will be all the better next year, I'm sure!

IP Logged

mori
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
I just returned home to Humboldt county afterdriving 1,500 miles to attend the Quigley shoot for the 10th time. On wed. the match was canceled. I did get to shoot all targets though and get new sight settings. It was still a great trip as I was able to shoot and to visit with my friends there. The call to cancel was a correct one as other wise the campers already at the shoot site would probably have been there until July waiting for the gumbo to dry out! Mori

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Mori -

WELCOME to the board!

Any pictures?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke