Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Newby (Read 6434 times)
rhbrink

Newby
Jun 13th, 2011 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Just wanted to say hello to everybody I have been lurking about for a while reading and learning and studying about lube a lot. I have started shooting in some cast bullet matches at my home club and have had some lube problems. I have used Emmerts quite a bit but seem to lose accuracy when it gets hot and do pick up a bit of leading too. I have made a few lubes from the reciepts that I have gathered up here and they all seem to fail at some time and place usually right in the middle of a match. And tried a few commerical lubes but they have failed in one way or another. I would like to try some of Dells 59C if some one makes it. I'm shooting a Douglas barreled CPA 44 1/2 in a 32-40 with a 14 inch twist. Barrnett 225 grain bullet breech seated  with 12.5 grains of AA#9. 

Thanks, all help is appreciated.
Richard

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: Newby
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2011 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
An item to get your lube to stick to the bullet better during hot weather is the addition of rosin to make the lube stickier.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2011 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Another one thats good and will stick to the lube grooves is Smilley Lube. I believe it is 75% Alox and 25% bees wax. It's also good in hot weather.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2011 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
I use SPG in my Douglas 14 inch twist CPA 32/40. No leading and no troubles even when it's hot. Lube is so soft you can wipe it out of the groves with a rag.

Wonder if you bullet is causing the leading, How soft is it ?  1/25 is about the standard.  SPG is also a standard, why not try some in order to isolate one of the variables and find out whats going wrong

Boats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2011 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Send Singleshot a PM and see if he can help you out with the Dell 59C it is the best lube I have found to date and I have pretty much tried them all with the exception of Alberta Schuetzen Lube and some of the home brews I did not have access to. Not to say that other lube formulas out there won't work it is just that it has worked for me very well over the years in all conditions from extremely cold to extremely hot.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2011 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
There seems to be nothing more individual than lube. It seems that every shooter has a secret recipe that gives better results than anything else. So when I was new to this game I made my own lube. I sat in late night bull sessions squirreling away what others used. I read all the old books and delved into the mysteries of "steam cylinder oil" and "oildag". I chased rumors of ozocrete and danced naked under a full moon while stirring my lube anti-clockwise with the left hind leg-bone of a black cat. I've done it all.
Now I just buy a block of SPG and spend my time shooting. Its a lot more productive and a lot more fun. Save yourself the grief call Steve and get some SPG.

40 Rod

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2011 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
2nd 40 rod SPG works and keeps one variable out of the equation.

Of course I don't get free sample jars of tallow and fish oil like I used too either.  Made a good lube and could tell my outfit on the line by how it smelled

Boats

IP Logged

rhbrink

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2011 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks to everybody for the replys I am using 25/1 and am looking for a lube that will work from 30 to 100 degrees. I did send a PM to Singleshot as I am really wanting to try some 59C. I have used SPG back in my BPCR days and was not very happy with it maybe its better for Schuetzen don't know. I have used LBT and as long as the weather stays hot it works very well. It loads easy and shoots great early this spring I tried it when the temps were in the low 30's and just about couldn't get my bullet seated when I did I had some serious stringing. Emmert would work just fine then but I was trying to keep from switching lubes by season. Lesson learned there!
Thanks again.

Richard

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 10:55am
Print Post  
[quote][with the exception of Alberta Schuetzen Lube /quote]

Alberta Schuetzen Lube is an upgrade of Charlie Dell's 59C.

It is made to function extremely well from -40 to 120 degrees.
It may work at colder temperatures but I have found no one to go out and test it at colder temperatures.

Ralph MacDonald made the upgrades and I am not allowed to reveal the recipe. Also Ralph's recipe has also been upgraded to allow it to be used for pan lubing (non-moly version). It also works with black powder when you blow between shots. It is available with or without moly. The moly is great for making those 25 caliber shots show up better on the target from the lube ring left.

I can provide Alberta Schuetzen lube to anyone who is interested. 
Linebaugh has indicated this lube greatly reduces leading in his 475 Linebaugh revolvers.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2011 at 11:10am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
I dont think it's a lube problem.  Bullet fit?  Throat shape problem? Breech seating depth?   Powder too fast?  Bullet temper?   Is the bullet carrying enough lube? Could be lots of other causes.   

I tried SPG lube many years ago.  Acted just like Darrs lube here in the PNW.  My own lube works better.  Others have great success with it. I think Gary Miller is using it in his Ruger.   

Joe.   Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

rhbrink

Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
I think that its bullet lube, I went to the range today 91 degrees a lot more windy than I like, shot 50 times about as fast as I could load and shoot stopped after fifty rounds pushed a patch throught the barrel it was a little hard on the first pass. The next patch was clean I was using Eds Red for a cleaner. I did get some vertical stringing which is normal for LBT lube in that rifle. No lead and a nice lube star at the muzzle.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
What is LBT lube?

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
rhbrink wrote on Jun 14th, 2011 at 7:52pm:
I think that its bullet lube, I went to the range today 91 degrees a lot more windy than I like, shot 50 times about as fast as I could load and shoot stopped after fifty rounds pushed a patch throught the barrel it was a little hard on the first pass. The next patch was clean I was using Eds Red for a cleaner. I did get some vertical stringing which is normal for LBT lube in that rifle. No lead and a nice lube star at the muzzle.

There ya go!   LBT lube did the trick.  I knew it was a lube problem.    Roll Eyes

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

rhbrink

Reply #13 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
LBT is Lead Bullets Technology owned by Verl Smith he makes premium molds for rifle and pistol shooting. I have a couple they are aluminum and do cast a nice bullet, round and exactly as ordered. He also offers lube and some other stuff. LBT blue, the soft version works well for handguns as well as rifles all fixed ammo of course. I doubt that it was ever considered for breech seating. It does get rather stiff when the temperatures drop down into the 30's. It seems to cause some vertical stringing for me at first I dropped the charge weight a little and it got worse so started working back up .1 of a grain at a time got up to 13.4 grains of AA#9 and shot very well for me given the conditions. 

Richard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint