Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A. HUBALEK (Read 9954 times)
nortatoga

A. HUBALEK
Jun 1st, 2011 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
    Hi I'm new here today looking for info!! A Member On RFC sent me this site. As I in my reason for joining is I have an Arthur Hubalek rebarrled, ( Not to get in any TROUBLE here I understand NO BOLT GUNS)1930 Win52! I don't want to talk about that! I would like any info about Mr Hubalek, I Google him and seems he still holds a world record in Gallery shooting can't seem to find any info on the rules and scoring.   Any info would be GREAT     Thanks for your time Jamie

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: A. HUBALEK
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Somewhere I have a picture of Hubalek and Pope and some other gallery shooters. Hubalek is laughing and Pope is shooting daggers through his eyes. 
Hubalek was a jeweler by trade but made barrels on the side He is also associated with a slightly smaller Ballard type action with a striker breech-block. 
You should contact Gary Quinlan he has a lot of knowledge on Hubalek. He also owns "May West" one Hubalek's more famous rifles. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

Remington40x

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
There is a dealer who displays Hubalek rifles regularly at the Forks of the Delaware Gun Show in Allentown, PA.  If you contact the Forks of the Delaware Gun Collectors Assn they may be able to put you in touch with him.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Doug_Nelson

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
As 40 Rod says, you should call Gary Quinlan, a Pennsylvania dealer in single shot rifles.  I suspect that Gary knows as much about Hubalek as anyone alive.  Gary can be reached at 215-766-3403. Or, maybe better yet, see if he will be at a gun show near you.  He would probably have a Hubalek or two on display.  It would be well worth your time to visit and chat with him.
Doug Nelson

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Had the honor of meeting Gary at a gunshow in Kansas City a couple of years back. Great guy and fun to talk to.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2011 at 11:11am
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 5:56pm:
Somewhere I have a picture of Hubalek and Pope and some other gallery shooters. Hubalek is laughing and Pope is shooting daggers through his eyes. 
Hubalek was a jeweler by trade but made barrels on the side He is also associated with a slightly smaller Ballard type action with a striker breech-block. 
You should contact Gary Quinlan he has a lot of knowledge on Hubalek. He also owns "May West" one Hubalek's more famous rifles. 

40 Rod

From what I've read Hubalek and Pope were once good friends, and Pope let Hubalek into his inner circle to view everything he did in creating great shooting barrels and guns. 
Later when Hubalek used that info to start his own side business as a direct competitor to Pope the friendship ended, and became a feud in Pope's eyes. I'd guess that would explain the daggers, as it's said that Pope wouldn't even stand next to Hubalek when any pictures were taken. Smiley
Hubalek made some rare and wonderful scopes also, and from what I've seen the workmanship was equal to any of the top scope builders!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

nortatoga

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2011 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
   Frist I would like to say you guys have been just great!!!! Thank you very much. I'am enjoying this as much as the apple seed I shot in April HISTORY AND SHOOTING!!! Just alittle more about this rifle my dad pick it up at a garage sale years ago, I don't know what he gave for it along with two orther 22's He pass away before I ever saw them. I've had it a dozen years and just really started shooting it. So thanks again for all the info I hope more keeps coming!!  Thanks Jamie

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2011 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Here's one;

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Bob

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2011 at 2:31am
Print Post  
Nortatoga,

Welcome to the Forum.   
The picture that 40_Rod refers to can be found in Duchers monograph on the Ballard Rifle. He's right, if looks could kill,  Grin  There's no need to even read the caption beneath the picture to find out who is who, old Harry Pope stands out a mile.

There is some other information about Hubalek in the same volume. If you haven't got a copy add it to your Christmas or Birthday list, in the meantime have a look for it in your local library.

Harry

IP Logged

terry buffum

Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2011 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I have or had several Hubalek rifles, mostly .22 but one is a muzzle loading .33 on Ballard action.   

One of the rifles John Dutcher kept when he reduced his collection is a Hubalek lined .22 on Pacific Ballard, (I had it engraved by Arnold Griebel in the early 1960s).  I think Dutcher's decision to hold it speaks very well for his opinion of Hubalek's work!

Life Member #205

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint