Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stock Protection? (Read 2689 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Stock Protection?
Jun 6th, 2011 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone.  I have a few original rifles with the original factory varnish.  Now I don't campaign with these, but for occasional range use, what is the best way to protect this type of finish?  Would Johnson's paste wax be OK?   When cleaning, I always cover butstock for solvent protection.  Thanks!

IP Logged

MAD MIKE
Oldtimer

Re: Stock Protection?
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
I use Min-Wax, but I suppose Johnson's is just as good, I just don't put it on a dirty stock though. If there's any crud I usually wipe it tenderly with some 4 O steel wool first,  Good luck,   ...MIKE...

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
I used Johnsons Paste Wax for years. Worked well. Been using Howards Feed and Wax for the last few years. Easier to put on and wipe back off and smells better. There is a musiemum quality wax that is supposed to be great. Renasiance Wax as I recall. I thing any good quality wax will work well for you. Waxing stocks and oiling the metal parts of guns occasionaly is good for the soul and the guns.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:41am
Print Post  

I use Wax too

Boats

IP Logged

contrary_kid
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
I like to use a pigmented Carnauba based paste wax. Any clear or yellow wax will fill the pores and edges and dry leaving visable small white flecks. The pigmented wax dries with the flecks the color of the pigment. My current favorite is -Trewax, Brown Paste Wax. This leaves a walnut colored fleck. If you need some thing with a redish tint try- Trewax, Indian Sand Paste Wax. Both were available a few years ago at Ace Hardware. Have not had to buy any for awhile as a 1lb can lasts a really long time, unless you wax your wood floors with it ! Thats actually it's intended use and the reason it works so well on wood gunstocks that actually get used.

IP Logged

contrary_kid
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
I should have done a check on the Trewax Brown paste wax- no longer available. I went thru my stash and came on an old, but still good, can of Staples Dark Brown Paste Wax 231. This is just as good, if not better, than the Trewax. A on line check shows it is still available in a 1lb can at WOODCRAFT SUPPLY, stock # 07K31, $ 10.99. WOODCRAFT SUPPLY is a very good company to do bussiness with.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint