Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What happens to the gun data ? (Read 5336 times)
Old Center Shot
Ex Member

What happens to the gun data ?
May 31st, 2011 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
By the time I finished typing this Jim B. had dumped all responses to the Data part of it, as he should have as it had nothing to do with Scores.

Frank,
I also like 40 Rods attitude regarding most every thing concerning ASSRA, he should probably run for President, if for no other reason than because of his attitude and the ideas he comes up with.

I also realize that people are different and that we have both shooters and collectors, but like Frank said, what would your rifle be worth if it had a name on it such as Pope, Rowland, Mann, Hudson, etc.

Theses guys were shooters. I may be wrong but I believe that ASSRA is more of a shooting association than a collectors association.

It just hit me and I now realized what Frank said, and I have to agree, it was done years ago, way before computers and there didn't seem to be a problem, and it had to be done with a pencil and paper because there were no computers, guys just seemed to do what had to be done for the good of others and the association. It should be much, much easier and faster now that we have computers. 

At my first shoot I was told that I had to fill out the info on the target for it to count for score, needless to say I filled out the info and have done it at all the shoots I've gone to since, it was not a hard thing to do and thought it was a good thing and would help others if the info was shared. Thought for sure that's why it was on the target. I did not know that it wasn't going to be used for anything.

Frank,
I hear a lot about the Coors events, I don't know much about them but I assume it was before computers, does anyone have an idea of how many shooters were in these events.

QB,
What happens to the equipment section of the registration form after your done with it, I would still like to build my RF gun with some knowledge of what most guys are using.
 O C S

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: What happens to the gun data ?
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2011 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
The final bulletin from the ISSA Championships has all the equipment lists that are turned in. It is great. It is a wonderful starting point for working up loads or seeing what scopes people are doing well with, etc.. I can't understand why you wouldn't want to see it.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2011 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Here are some pics of how equipment lists used to be, before computers. 

At Coors in '87 there were 101 shooters and the equip list continues on the back of the last page. There were 5 full pages of it, I only copied 2 pages.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Old Center Shot
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2011 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
bnice wrote on May 31st, 2011 at 8:31pm:
The final bulletin from the ISSA Championships has all the equipment lists that are turned in. It is great. It is a wonderful starting point for working up loads or seeing what scopes people are doing well with, etc.. I can't understand why you wouldn't want to see it.

I would love to see it but I'm not a member of ISSA, I'm a ASSRA shooter. Can a non ISSA member look over the equipment list, if so how do I get to it. 

Frank,
If there were 101 shooters back in 1987 that would be about twice what ASSRA has shooting today, I think QB said about 40 or 50 may shoot at EG.  With the computers we have today it should not be a problem doing it.

My concern right now is the equipment listing that QB may have about the 22 RF events as that's my next one to build.
  O C S

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2011 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
The ISSA is the successor to the Coors match organization.  The website is (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); You can contact the president, Dave Purcell, about copies of the bulletin at davepurcell50@msn.com.   

Personally, I've used the equipment lists in match results, both from the ISSA and when it was published in the ASSRA Journal, when I was looking to get started in the game...barrels, sights, moulds, chamberings, powder and amounts, primers...all good information for a newbie!  And you could see what the winners were reporting for equipment.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 31st, 2011 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
I'd hate to rely on the entry/registration form lists.  most are incomplete.  guys may use more arms/scopes than listed and may go through several kinds of ammo (for 22s)  I know I used 5 different kinds, and shot my targets of record with three of'em.  I also tried 3 different scopes on my ruger I used for the 200 yard single entry.  Now I DO not what I actually shot with on my own targets, but thats because I retrieve them after the match and keep them in a reference notebook, especially the offhand targets.

Keying in the data is time consuming and in todays on-line real time e-world if the results are not on the site here within 48 hours some folf start whining. Not enough time to key in all the gun/scope/ammo data even if it were faithfully and accurately provided by the shooters.

And as I mentioned in the deleted posts very few members are concerned enough in that data,  just a small handful out of the whole dues-paying body.   Most just want to see the final scores and be sure their name is there and spelled right

In the paper and pencil era folk were happy to get a mailed out report a week or two, maybe more, later. 

they also stuck around to see the posted scores at the end of the shoot.  today there is so much time pressure/demands that by the end of the match only half a dozen or 10 guys are still on the grounds.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - May 31st, 2011 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
I am willing to send the registration sheets to anyone who wants to key in all the data and post it on the forum and maybe send it in to Merz for inclusion in the Journal.

IP Logged

Old Center Shot
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 31st, 2011 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Quarter_Bore wrote on May 31st, 2011 at 10:25pm:
I am willing to send the registration sheets to anyone who wants to key in all the data and post it on the forum and maybe send it in to Merz for inclusion in the Journal.

QB,
Please send them to tomtheblock you have sold him a few guns and other things so you should have his address. You may remember him as the guy that drove out to your place and bought a  B. W. Darr gun. If for some reason you don't have his address send me a private  e mail and I'll send it to you.
 O C S

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #8 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Pat Weber has copies of the results and the equipment lists from last years ISSA Nationals. Contact her and she will sell you a copy of the published hard copy results. She is shooting at the Canadian International ASSRA Match and the Canadian ISSA regional  this week and is not imediately available to contact.

IP Logged

Old Center Shot
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 10:44am
Print Post  

Hi Guys,
QB has agreed to send the equipment lists to me to have sorted out.

I know a person that has 30 years of experience as a stat officer for the NRA and the USRA willing to help out.

He knows his way around this type of thing and can get stuff like this done and in print in less than a week. I should have it posted to the site a week or so after I receive the forms.

Will also send a copy to John Merz in the proper format to be used for an article in the Journal.
  O C S 

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Muchas gracias!

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Old Center Shot
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 7:02pm
Print Post  

Hi Guys,
I just got home from the range and checked my e mail. I see there has been a change of plans, 40 Rod now has the time to do the sorting of the equipment list and get it out to the members. 

The reason I volunteered was that I thought 40 Rod was over worked as editor and didn't have the time. Having time getting things done in a timely manner seems to be a problem for a lot of guys in this day and age.

40 Rod,
If you need help with it we have a person with 30 years of experience as a stat officer for other shooting associations and he's willing to help out. 

He knows his way around this type of thing and can get stuff like this done and in print in about a week or less.

Let me know if you need any help and you will get it.
Are you going to up load the info it to the site as well as print it in the Journal.
O C S

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2011 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Centershot and all
I am taking on the project this time for two reasons. First I am scratching for material to fill a Journal - That's a hint for any of you who are inclined to write. I will accept articles about anything single shot related. 
Secondly I have not established a format for the equipment information and it will be easier the first time around for me to do it myself than take what someone else has done and then get it back into a format that will work in the Journal. Once I get a format established I would appreciate all the help I can get in keeping it up.
Centershot thank you for stepping up I hope we can work together on later equipment lists.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Old Center Shot
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 2nd, 2011 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Not a problem 40 Rod. I wish you luck on finding material for the Journal.

Once you get a format established for the equipment list let me know if you need help and I will do what I can. 
  O C S

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint