Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pope Style Mechanical Barrel Rest (Read 14046 times)
Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Pope Style Mechanical Barrel Rest
Apr 12th, 2011 at 11:27am
Print Post  

Once upon a time, Buffalo Arms Co. offered a mechanical barrel rest in their catalog, which apparently was in close resemblance to the Harry Pope "machine rest" that he spoke about in his writings.

I am searching for a source of either the model that BAC once offered, or an alternative rest that perhaps someone is making in their spare time; or a "do it yourself" project.  Yes, I know that Lowe's carries "grounding clamps" in their electrical department, and "pipe hanger clamps" in the plumbing department, but would be interested in something beyond those devices for the long term.

Thanks much,

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Pope Style Mechanical Barrel Rest
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 12:01pm
Print Post  

For those of you with fertile minds, I probably don't want to replicate Dr. Mann's concrete "Shooting Gibraltar", so don't ask.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Is this what you're looking for?   

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);    Huh

Joe.   Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Are you looking for just the front rest that clamps onto the barrel or the entire mechanical rest setup?

If you are by chance looking for the entire setup Steve Garbe had one made that he designed and there was also an article in the BP Cartridge News in regards to both Steve's design and Pope's design so you might want to contact him and request a copy.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 3:30pm
Print Post  

Thanks J.L.

I was interested in locating just the barrel clamp to use with my existing front tri-pod rest, which I believe would accept the clamp, dimensions being the governing factor.

If you recall seeing the Buffalo Arms Co. clamp device in their older catalogs, I believe that would work.  Of course, once the barrel is clamped down (placed approx 6 to 10 inches back from the muzzle) to eliminate the torque, there would need to be rearward movement to offset recoil.

Now that I know S.P.Garbe has such a rest, I will phone him with my requirements.  I appreciate the lead you've provided.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 3:43pm
Print Post  

Quote:
I probably don't want to replicate Dr. Mann's concrete "Shooting Gibraltar", so don't ask.
Creedmoormatch[/size]

Westener

The Gibraltar of which I speak may be found in discussion beginning on page # 45 of Dr. F.W. Mann's publication titled " The Bullet's Flight ", if you have a copy, and was made of portland cement.

Thanks for your reply,

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Your welcome Creedmoormatch and if in the future you would like to just buy the barrel clamp one of our local shooters makes them to suit each individuals personnel needs.

J.Louis

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Gone Fly Fishing wrote on Apr 12th, 2011 at 3:43pm:

Quote:
I probably don't want to replicate Dr. Mann's concrete "Shooting Gibraltar", so don't ask.
Creedmoormatch[/size]

Westener

The Gibraltar of which I speak may be found in discussion beginning on page # 45 of Dr. F.W. Mann's publication titled " The Bullet's Flight ", if you have a copy, and was made of portland cement.

Thanks for your reply,

Creedmoormatch

Really! Well now thats interesting.  The only problem is, you caint buy one in a store,,,,,  now can ya?   Geeeeeeesh!!   

Joe.    Smiley

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 7:38pm
Print Post  

Westener ;

When I spoke about the "Shooting Gibraltar" initially, the operative word that I used was " REPLICATE " and, secondly, I indicated to the reader that it was made from concrete, and thirdly, that I was not interested in such a monstrosity. 

Do you follow that so far, or should we stop for a minute to let you digest it ?

I appreciate your wanting to help out here by your correctly pointing out the fact that; " you can't buy one (such a shooting rest) in the store ", (ANY store (my words)).   

Not to worry, Westener. I said earlier and I repeat now, I probably don't want to replicate Dr. Mann's concrete "Shooting Gibraltar".  Something a quite bit lighter and smaller in size for transportability reasons would be nice.  I am open to your suggestions, if you would care to make any at this time.

Your advice is appreciated,

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

stebbinsgr
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
This is the Pope clamp I bought from KAF last year.  I think this most closely duplicates a true Pope muzzle clamp.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #10 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Gone Fly Fishing wrote on Apr 12th, 2011 at 12:01pm:

For those of you with fertile minds, I probably don't want to replicate Dr. Mann's concrete "Shooting Gibraltar", so don't ask.

Creedmoormatch

No dont need to digest it any. What I read was that you probably didnt want to replicate it. You might want to? If someone convinces you??   

Now dont go back and change your post to fit the situation CMM.   Just trying to post within your posting rules on your thread. 

I read about the Pope Gibralter rest when I was in grade school and I did read DR Manns book.  

So whats wrong with that Gibralter clamp I posted?  

Joe.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Creedmoormatch what is your real name mine is John Louis and this is what I use for a front muzzle rest.

I would be more than happy to help you to get where you want to go so please feel free to send me a PM as I have nothing to hide.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2011 at 8:47pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 9:30am
Print Post  

Good morning Gary and John :

It's nice to know you both, on a first name basis.

I am competitively shooting the CPA/Stevens with a number 52 Perch belly butt stock and Swiss butt plate, chambered in 32-40, so it is primarily an off-hand rifle.

I rarely shoot this particular rifle off the bench, except for load development purposes.  However, I also shoot an original Stevens M-44 action also in 32-40 which has a straight wrist and more easily works with a front rest and a rear bag on the bench.

I've not ever seen an original H.M. Pope barrel clamping device, except a picture in Buffalo Arms' catalog, which was supposed to have been an accurate representation of the Pope style clamp.  I try to use as many shooting accessories which match what was originally used during this period (1890's to 1915) by the well know competitors, such as lube pumps, bullet seaters, re-de cappers, powder measures, etc.

I am attempting to find a period correct rest type barrel clamp that will also act as an anti-cant device.  I believe that such clamps are allowed under ASSRA rules for bench competition.  Desiring to leave no stone unturned in my quest for accuracy, I wish to solve the barrel harmonics and cant problems which arise during my load development range sessions.

I really appreciate the design talents and machine work that have gone into what John has manufactured/produced in his front rest.  His knowledge and shooting skills to achieving 250's @ 200 are to be emulated and a goal for the rest of us.  Perhaps sometime in the future, I will shift my focus more towards bench competition.

For the present, perhaps the clamp that KAF made for Gary would be a good choice to make.  Thank you both for your guidance, it is appreciated.

Respectfully,

Dr. W.E. "Webb" Brown
   Abbottstown, PA
   a/k/a Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 1:39pm
Print Post  

A P.M. is being sent to KAF regarding his version of the Barrel Clamp, also known as a " Muzzle Foot " by the old timers.

Would care to know about present availability, certain dimensions, and the correct method for dealing with recoil forces.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
   Sent P.M. to KAF which was returned as being undeliverable.

Next, will try an E-mailed message to Keith using
     <membership@assra.com> 

Smiley

C.M.M.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2011 at 1:56pm by Gone Fly Fishing »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint