Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fair price for Stevens 44 in .22RF? (Read 7910 times)
zeke

Fair price for Stevens 44 in .22RF?
Apr 9th, 2011 at 4:12pm
Print Post  

Hi Gang:

A chap I know offered me this gun for only $625.00.

The gun has a large diameter straight barrel about 24" long and has been re bored recently.  The stock is the original one that has been hogged out to fit the bull barrel.  He stated that it has a rear vernier sight.

This gun belonged to a late friend of mine and he sold it to the present owner for less that $300.00 several years ago.

The barel was marked C.C. Johnson.  Why he had it re bored and lined by a local "gunsmith" is a mystery to me. I have no idea as to what a relining job entails but I doubt if a local "gunsmith" would be equipped to do this work.

In any case, what would it be worth for a project gun? I can not see a use for a bull barreled Stevens 44!  Perhaps if it had a thin barrel and a nice stock, that it would be worth $625.00 but what do I know?

Any thoughts about this rifle!

TIA,

Franchi Smiley

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Fair price for Stevens 44 in .22RF?
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
For myself, I don't like relined barrels in this case a round barrel is even worse so, to me it would be just a butt stock and action. If it's in great shape (excellent wood and good color case), I wouldn't give more than $400. Unless it's a Mod 45 or higher.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Zeke
The process for relining a barrel is relatively straightforward and easier now that we epoxies to fix the liner in the barrel. It is well within the the skill set of a local gunsmith. Choosing a good barrel liner and cambering it correctly is the hard part. A good relining job can make the rifle shoot better than the original. 
Also keep in mind I said gunsmith. There are a lot of what I refer to as mechanics out there. These are guys who just swap factory parts. Most wouldn't know one end of a lathe from the other much less how to set it up.

40 Rod

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 9:02am
Print Post  
600 dollars probably needs a 300 dollar reline or 400 dollar re barrel. Has been butchered up by old target shooters, and when you are through it's not as desirable or saleable as a 1000 dollar nice Origional Stevens 44

Let it pass.

Boats

IP Logged

powderhead

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 10:27am
Print Post  
I am a purist when it comes to old rifles, so excuse my remark if it doesn't agree with you.  My opinion of the rifle you're looking at is this.  Someone took a 600$ rifle and put 300$ worth of work in it and made a 100$ wall hanger.  Relining am old rifle to make it a shooter is one thing.  To butcher original wood is another.  Just my opinion.

At this point the sight might be worth more than the gun.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 10:53am
Print Post  
The sight could be a surprise, usually not but you never know.

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Saddest part is someone relined a CC Johnson barrel! I seriously doubt a barrel that recent, and of that quality was shot out yet. If it still had the CC Johnson barrel I would think the $600 price tag wouldn't be out of line, but with that provenance gone, it's surely not wrth $600 now.
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2011 at 9:12pm by marlinguy »  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

MAD MIKE
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Interesting, I have an H.M.Pope barrel relined by C.C.Johnson for a high wall (R2Lovell, I believe) wonder what thats worth?  ...MIKE...

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
MAD MIKE wrote on Apr 10th, 2011 at 12:46pm:
Interesting, I have an H.M.Pope barrel relined by C.C.Johnson for a high wall (R2Lovell, I believe) wonder what thats worth?  ...MIKE...

That's even sadder! As much as I admire the work done by CC Johnson, putting a liner in a Pope barrel makes me want to cry.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 11:43am
Print Post  

Quote:

That's even sadder! As much as I admire the work done by CC Johnson, putting a liner in a Pope barrel makes me want to cry.

That, my friends, is bordering on seditious behavior, and should not go unanswered for.

Creedmoormatch 

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Quote:

That, my friends, is bordering on seditious behavior, and should not go unanswered for.

Creedmoormatch  

J U S T   K I D D I N G,   of course !    Grin     Grin

IP Logged

Bountyhunter
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
I just bought a complete 44 with a good barrel in .25-20SS, the action was a bit loose, and wood cracked at the wrist, good sights and showed the wear that would come from some old fellow that shot it a lot.   It has a buckhorn rear sight, gold inlaid front sight, and is drilled and tapped for a tang sight.

The guy said, hey mister, you wanna buy this ol' piece of sh**?  I said how much?  He said what will you give me?  I said $100.  He said, you are a fool, and I owned it.  Story and pictures coming soon.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Some days you just get lucky. Waiting to see photos.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Do you KNOW that the reline job was done recently?   C.C.Johnson relined a great many barrels himself, and they shot very, very well.   

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 10:51am
Print Post  
If it was a Johnson reline it would shoot excellent, but it would probably have not been a new round blank relined. Most were done to worn out factory barrels, so they have original markings plus CC Johnson's stamp also, not just his stamp.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint