Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Atmospheric Conditions? (Read 10169 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Atmospheric Conditions?
Mar 24th, 2011 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Hello, everyone.  I know the old-time long range match shooters used to record Temp., Humidity, Barometric Pressure, as well as light, wind, etc.  Are there any of us who still practice this?  At 200yds, would it make that much of a difference?  Thanks!

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: Atmospheric Conditions?
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
The impacts from changes in atmospheric conditions is dependent on the sensitivity of the powder used. Some powders are not very sensitive and others can be extremely sensitive; particularly near freezing temperatures. (i.e. H414 poor ignition without magnum primers below freezing)

Major changes in the atmospheric conditions can require adjusting powder loads by 0.1 to 0.2 grains to compensate.

Remember you only have to be a tenth grain off on your powder and your barrel may no longer be firing at the sweet spot; which really opens up your group size.

Some people use adjustable breech seaters to adjust for changes in atmospheric conditions instead of adjusting their powder load.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
I adjust my loads and sight settings for temperature extremes at 200 yards.  You can see 1 moa up or down cold vs hot most cartridges

Thing about the old shooters at long range they had few sighter shots available. Schuetzen like we shoot it today you can sight all you want, best observation is how the bullet prints on paper.

I do pay a whole lot of attention to the weather before a match. Old days you could not go on the Internet and get a report like we do now. A barometer is much more important if it's all you have to predict fronts and changes. When I first started going offshore in the late 60's we watched it like a hawk. Was the only reliable advance warning of shifts and changes. 

Long range shooting no different. I am sure the coach would have been watching for weather changes and nothing better than a barometer

Boats

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
.22-5-40 (Thuer),`same answer from the other forum you posted the same question on ...

Thuer, add wind velocity, direction and cloud cover.  Most folks I read don't barometric pressure now a days.  I get the pressures for the day from weather websites.
I carry 2 instruments in my range box:  one for temperature and RH, plus an anemometer that records multiple reading ...
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Here are multiple range charts you might want to copy and record on when shooting various distances ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I agree to some degree on all those variables but there is nothing like spending all the time one can afford to spend at their local range in an effort to try and figure out all the minuscule specifics of which could take ones life time and Dr. Mann comes to mind.

In all honesty and this is just my opinion from experience the bottom line is one would be hard pressed to find better results by just going out to practice, practice and to do more practice.

I have found that one's Bench Technique is the Holy Grail once an individual has spent the time and effort to get his rifle to shoot to best of it's ability through extensive load development.

Bottom line as far as I am concerned is there is no magic involved it is all based on ones dedication and where one would like to go by hard work and the sacrifice it takes you to get where you would ultimately like to be.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Shooting well takes attention to all details. Weather and conditions are part of the package. How much depends on the range and match format. 

Silhouette were I spend most of my time 2 1/2 minute squadded relays not a lot you can do about it. Schuetzen with re-entry's and the whole weekend to shoot a Hudson match it's a real advantage to pick your condition. Ablity to use the Sighter target unlimited shots is another key advantage.  Best read on conditon is the sighter target.

Long range squadded relay's and very limited Sighter shots it's critical to be able to read the conditions.

Boats

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Agree with J. Louis' comments on technique. John Boy posted a beautiful 25 shot target in another post. Noted the fliers are low-right. Getting the same thing (but worse) and blaming humping the rifle, anticipating recoil and jerking the trigger. Comments would be appreciated.
Chuck  

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #7 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
One of our better shooters here in San Diego opined that in many cases you'd be better off concentrating on your benchrest technique than worrying about miniscule changes in conditions - especially at 100 yards.  I think he has a valid point.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 1:11am
Print Post  
Interesting thread but, can anyone tell me what to do if the barometer rises a 1/10th or lowers a 1/10th during a match. If it rises or falls the air will move. Your face and flags will tell you that. What would I do if it rises a 1/10th and the temp goes down 5 deg? Just to many variables to contend with!

If my load starts going away, I try raising or lowering the charge a couple of tenths to see if it comes back or starts coming back but, I don't do anything until something happens (yes, I know it's to late then) but, I can't see adjusting a powder charge based on some slight barometer reading change during a match. In difficult conditions, I try to get my shots off ASAP based on wind conditions. Or try to wait it out (time permitting) and do sighters before continuing.

Something that I see as more important is light changes such as clouds moving in and out. You don't actually see the target, you only see the light reflected from it.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 6:01am
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:11pm:
The impacts from changes in atmospheric conditions is dependent on the sensitivity of the powder used. Some powders are not very sensitive and others can be extremely sensitive; particularly near freezing temperatures. (i.e. H414 poor ignition without magnum primers below freezing)

Major changes in the atmospheric conditions can require adjusting powder loads by 0.1 to 0.2 grains to compensate.

Remember you only have to be a tenth grain off on your powder and your barrel may no longer be firing at the sweet spot; which really opens up your group size.

I have long believed that changes of .1 grain of powder do not change accuracy. I may be wrong. I would dearly like to see the results of a set of groups (5 or more) shot with the "right" charge and with a charge .1 grain different that show a significant difference in accuracy. Any testers out there?Some people use adjustable breech seaters to adjust for changes in atmospheric conditions instead of adjusting their powder load.

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 8:57am
Print Post  
I don't know if I am telling you guys how to suck eggs or not but the light, or lack of it has not been mentioned so far. 
Perhaps because the original post was about temperature and humidity and you already know the following.
I occasionally shoot a iron sight match at 300 metres which can comprise 50 shots and if its a cloudy day and then they clear and the sun comes out for a while before going back in again I have been told by better shooters than I am, that this will effect where your shots will hit vertically.
Regards.      

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Nero

Lever Silhouette match last weekend I missed 7 targets, two were poor choices on my part. Other 5 were due to changing light causing hold too high on the critter,  bullets skimmed just over his back

You would think I could adjust the sight but light was on and off and better to pay attention and break lower than have the next shots go under the target  when the sun came back out

Rule requires post front. You don't often have any light problems with aperture sights. Can be some shading one way or another but not as dramatic as with a post

Boats

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote Quote:
Some people use adjustable breech seaters to adjust for changes in atmospheric conditions instead of adjusting their powder load.

Dave, 
I'm curious to hear the specifics about this procedure. 

How much change in seating depth is made by some people, and to what corresponding change in pressure? If the barometer rises by say 0.1 inHg, do they seat deeper, or shallower, and how many thousandths of an inch change in seating depth is supposedly made? 

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Changing the seating depth is the same as changing your load the deeper you seat the bullet the more powder it takes and vise versa. Now keeping in mind that the proper seating depth is just as critical a component as the proper powder, charge, primer, lube etc. it should not be touched and one would be better served to just adjust his load as need be for the current conditions. 

The correct adjustments for the current conditions no matter what they may be are made on the sighter target prior to the start of the match it is the best tool at your disposal. What I do is pick four points and I use the number 24 at 12,6,9 & 3oclock on the ASSRA #5 target. I then shoot 3 to 5 shots at each one depending on how bad the conditions are to get a true reading by shooting my normal load at another predetermined point such as the letter D in YARD at the top of the target then going down 1tenth then 2tenths from the normal charge then doing just the opposite going up 1tenth and then 2tenths and then pick the one that provides the best tune. I will then go to the 25 ring for verification and to make any minor scope changes that might be required prior to going to the record target.

In regards to staying up with any condition changes as the match moves forward one needs to spend allot of time at the bench during practice sessions to learn in what direction the powder charge needs to be adjusted to keep the rifle in tune. 

It would be nice if it was just a simple matter of looking at a chart or purchasing some type of instrument that would provide one the necessary information to make the proper adjustments but in reality none exist.

J.Louis
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2011 at 4:11pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 25th, 2011 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Joe that's a good explanation.

We are talking apples and oranges when we talk about offhand & bench however for the Hudson match some things are the same.

Way I handle it is to look at the general weather forecast in advance of the match. Front going through which will produce a wind shift, extreme hot or cold. Etc. It's real important to predict what to expect over the 3 day match period. And when the major changes will take place.  Highest scores  I ever saw BPCS as Match Director our club was before a major tropical storm, dead calm, high humidity, black powder smoke hanging in the air so you could see every little movement.  I knew that condition was coming in advance

It's going to take me 10 or 12 relays to get off 100 shots for record. This is actually pretty fast shooting considering time to get sighted waiting out wind going back to the sighter target when conditions change. May also shoot a rimfire 100 shot match too, while faster than CF Breech seating still 4 or 5 relays.

Most matches are from 8 am to 5 pm 45 minute relays so about 30 possible relays depending on if the Schuetzen master shuts down for lunch. So you can pick when you are going to shoot your shots.

I try to make the most of expected good condition time of day and focus on working though the targets getting shots off when it's to advantage.  Most times consider the Rimfire match a throw away  or 2nd priority CF # 1. During the match if I see any change go back to the sighter to confirm whats going on. Always shoot some shots in the most adverse condition so I can see what it looks like

If temperature or pressure affects the bullets strike day to day it's not so important as long as shot to individual shot is consistent . And I catch shifts and changes through observation then prove on the sighter not the record target.

This is very different than long range were you have to be on the line at the set time and fire your shots with only 2 sighter shots available 

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint