Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 40-50 Sharps Bottle Neck Dies (Read 5292 times)
singleshotsam
Oldtimer

40-50 Sharps Bottle Neck Dies
Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
  I am trying to help out a friend that approached me because he knows that I like and work on old single shot rifles. He is in his late 60's and was given a Sharps rifle when he was in his early teens, he said it was broken and could I look at it. Turns out to be an 1874 Military model, the nicest one I have ever seen. All original and with a like new bore. After repairing the sear and cleaning it we talked of how much he would enjoy shooting it as he never had and didn't know what caliber it was chambered for. A chamber cast shows it to be a 40-50 SBN. I can get cases and bullets, it has a .403 bore from Buffalo Arms. Dies are also available but the are priced at just under $170.00. My friend only wants to shoot a few rounds just to say he had. My question is does anyone on the forum have a set of dies that they would rent out or loan to load a few rounds and try this classic old rifle out? I appreciate any help or leads on this,please PM me if you are able to assist on this issue.

Regards.
SSS

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Re: 40-50 Sharps Bottle Neck Dies
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
SSS                  My friend only wants to shoot a few rounds just to say he had.

That's just about exactly what I said about thirty years ago!  You might want to give your friend fair warning Cheesy
Sorry I can't help with the 40-50SBN

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 7:39am
Print Post  
I would be surprised if you couldn't load a few rounds with black powder by hand if he just wants to fire it a few times.  If you have a 45-70 shell holder, you can prime, you can decap with a 45-70 sizing die, and you can thumb-press to seat the bullets. Or, if they're initially too tight for thumb-seating, slightly chamfer the case mouth, place the bullet on the case mouth, slip a piece of flat stock between the top of your press and the cartridge and use the press to seat the bullet by eye.
Once the cases are fired once, you can de and re cap them, refill with powder, slip a lubed bullet in and shoot as much as you like.  (Of course, you can't load up a pocketfull of them and wander around the woods!)

This won't work with smokeless powder, but then, why would you want to feed the old-timer that new fangled stuff anyway!!

How about posting a few pics of that rifle??

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Peabody and Peabody-Martini's Wanted!

IP Logged

MikeG

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Where to start with the .40-50 SBN. Really a neat little cartridge, easy on the shoulder and easy to reload. Accurate, too.

First the brass. BACO only forms brass from WW and WW seems to have a QC problem with rim thickness. I ordered 20 rounds from BACO of the WW .40-50 SBN brass. Of the 20 rounds all chambered fine, BUT only 6 would let the action close with minimum pressure; 8 would not let the action close at all; the rest had problems closing the action with moderate to really firm pressure. End results, 14 of the rounds had to be sanded, some to the point that the headstamp was almost gone, to get the action closed with minimum pressure. Kicker is, Remington brass is fine, no problems at all. Remington brass drops right in the chamber and action closes smooth.

Dies: I can't remember right off the top on head who I bought my dies from, either Natchez Shooting Supplies or MidSouth. Whichever one, the dies were extremely reasonable compared to BACO or Midway. Like less than $60 compared to over $150.

I'd agree that you can probably reload without the dies. If the neck needs expanded you might get away with using a .40 S&W expanding die. I never resize my brass after the first shooting. I may taper crimp slightly to keep the bullet in for hunting but that's about it. Seems to work fine for the shooting I do which is hunting and informal target shooting.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Been following this thread. I didnt know, military Sharps rifles were chambered in 40/50 BN.   Very interesting.  Smiley

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint