Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Zimmerstutzen twist (Read 2323 times)
MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Zimmerstutzen twist
Mar 8th, 2011 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
All,

Does anyone know what the twist rate of a 4mm zimmerstutzen may have been? I can imagine they are varied, but there is surely some sot of ball park to it.

Any one have any idea? I don't think I have ever seen it mentioned anywhere. I know that some of the miniature gun makes use the 4mm rimfire in their wares, so someone has to have an idea.

Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

Doug_Nelson

Re: Zimmerstutzen twist
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Merwin,
My 4.5mm zimmer appears to have a twist rate of about 1 turn in 10" (using a patch and cleaning rod, I had about 3/4 turn in the 7.5" barrel).  This seems quite fast-- if I'm using Greenhill correctly, one turn in 25" should stabilize a 4.5mm lead ball.  Perhaps the velocity is so low that Greenhill doesn't hold up very well?

Doug

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 10:02am
Print Post  
If I remember, not too long ago, some chronographing was done on several ZS's, both short and long cases. I do remember, that recorded velocities were all in the 950 to 1,100 fps, about in the range of a std vel .22 LR. I go oback and see if I can find it unless someone else remembers. It may have come out of the WSU Postal Matches I hosted a while back. Any how, I know that mine does more damage to my old .22 bullet trap that .22's. My personal ZS has 11 lands and grooves and is hard to really get an accurate check looks to be 8 to 10 rate of twist. If I can find more I'll get back to you.

Dick

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. - Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 10:17am
Print Post  
DIck and Doug,

Thanks for that info. I am surprised at those velocities and the damage done by the little cartridges!

Also a bit surprised at the fast twist, but as Doug said, amybe things go out the window with the smaller size?

Interesting guns and little cartridge!

Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

peterson2520ss

Life member 82

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 11:21am
Print Post  
I have a Walther barrel blank that is 1 in 10 twist.

Det

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint