Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Squib Pan Flash (Read 5423 times)
Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Squib Pan Flash
Feb 20th, 2011 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
I just had a new experience and wonder if anyone has had it happen to them.   

I am working up a squib load for my 45-100 using a 390 grain bullet and about 18 grains of IMR 4198.  Some of my test shots sounded double--K-DUNG!--as though the ignition was late.  Since my group was muchum biggumus, I decided to dump the remaining five shells in the trees to my left and listen for any differences in sound with the rifle mounted from different positions (from different powder placement--no tuft in these).  Well, when I fired my third shot, the gun didn't fire.  I assumed that I had put in an empty, but when I pulled the shell, the bullet was gone all right, but the powder spilled out all over things.  Between my earplugs and the rain dumping down on me, I hadn't heard the primer pop.  I couldn't see down the barrel, so I pulled my ramrod and stuck it down its throat.  The bullet was lodged about a foot from the back end.  The primer had gone off, but the powder had failed to light, leaving a nervous bullet in the barrel.   

This is the first I have ever had a pan flash in a breach loader.  On a rainy day with my longrifle, I might expect this--but a breach loader?  (By the way, I keep my shells in a leather case, and I don't think there is any way the powder could have gotten wet.)

Have any of you fellows had this happen?  Thoughts?   

(I'm gonna knock out the rest and try a different approach.)    

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Re: Squib Pan Flash
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Funny you should mention this...
A good shooting friend of mine, now passed away, had something very simillar happen shooting .577-450 with, I THINK, 4198.

The large cases with relatively small charges of 4198 (again, not positive it was 4198, but pretty sure...), some failed to go boom...
A couple of 'em kinda sneezed the bullet out the end, a couple went off normally, and one got the bullet right to the end of the muzzle without enough oomph to exit.

I think that big cases and 4198 may not mix well... 
Or maybe a fiber wad .200 off the powder and magnum primers would do well... 

Hope this helps.
Paul F.

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Interesting, Paul.  4198 is giving me decent accuracy with full loads, and even with the squibs and a tuft it's been doing okay.  I shot a 2 1/2" group at 150 yards the other day (for a squib, that's good for me) using a tuft over the powder but today without it, I couldn't keep it on the paper.  The group must have been 18" tall.   

I don't see how there can be enough fire to push the bullet a foot but not have enough fire to ignite that powder.  Maybe 4198 is hard to touch off.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
I don't know much about 4198. I've only used it in Win 25/20 loads at pressures around 30,000.

My only thought on it is this....... The primer did most of the pushing (if not all) and there wasn't enough pressure to start the 4198 burning. The position of the powder on the other loads that did ignite may have helped build pressure? Or that particular primer may have been weaker than the others? More questions than answers (where is Ken Waters when you need him).

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
I've had it happen with SR-4759 in my .40-90 SS.  Some of the powder burns (enough to start the bullet down the barrel) and then the combination of the drop in pressure and the scattering of the powder grains throughout all that volume causes the fire to go out.  Sometimes there is enough residual pressure to pop the case out when the breech is opened.  Some powder is left in the case, some spills into the action and the rest forms a trail of litter down the bottom of the bore.

The cure I've found is Magnum primers, a tuft of Kapok against the powder and the heaviest bullet the twist will tolerate.  The powder is lit off more definitively, stays together so more of it can burn and the pressure is kept up so it keeps burning.  Naturally your current powder charges should be cut down when starting to use this method and the proper loading snuck back up on in the usual manner, checking for excess pressure signs along the way.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
A good book to have is Wolfe Publishing's Propellant profiles. It's made up of powder reviews that appeared in Rifle and Handloader magazine.

Like most of us I have a lot of experience with 3 or 4 powders little bit with another half a dozen and know nothing at all about the rest.  I looked up 4198 ,which I have never used, and the tendency to ignite poorly in very light charges is detailed. One thing they always mention is burn rate and pressures produced. Lot of discussion on the intended pressure when the powder was formulated.

Way I think about powders is like fuel for internal combustion engines. You don't want Diesel in a Gasoline engine  and octane rating makes a difference. Powders have the same burn and suitability uses as liquid fuels. Whats good for one application is not good for another.  Propellant profiles has helped me sort out what works best more than once.

Boats

IP Logged

Whistlepigger
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Well, Bent Ramrod, I'm glad to hear it's happened to you too.  It makes me feel better knowing that it is not the spirit of my flintlock haunting me for leaving it in the closet.  Smiley  I just loaded up a few shells with Federal magnum primers (I was using WLR) so I'll see what happens the first decent day I get.

I like your analogy with the fuels, Boats.  And that sounds like a good book to have.  I'll see if I can find it.  It is interesting that it would talk about 4198 being hard to ignite in light charges.  I think, if I keep going with this load, I might try Unique and see how that does.

IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 6:12am
Print Post  
I had one many years ago with 4198 also.  I believe it was in a .50-70.  Not a squib load, but a mild smokeless load.  As I recall, it was obvious at the time that the cartridge didn't fire properly.  The bullet was part way up the bore.  The powder was discolored (greenish-brown) and the grains were clinging together somewhat, almost like the surface of the grains had melted a bit (??).

I quit using 4198 for light loads after that.

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Peabody and Peabody-Martini's Wanted!

IP Logged

Joel Black

Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 11:09am
Print Post  
After switching to Hodgdons Trail Boss for light loads in large cases, I have yet to have a problem.

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Magnum primer and 2400 has always worked for me. Avoid fillers.
Tom

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
While hardly a single shot caliber (with the exception of Winchester's test rifle), I have had negative experiences with the .401 WSL and 2400 powder.  It burns quickly and pushes the 250 grain bullet out of the barrel, but the case never ejects from the M-1910 blowback action.  After a couple of shots there is so much unburned powder spilled action that it fails to seat the cartridges properly.

My observation is that some of the 2400 burns very rapidly, but it does not all burn.  The pressure spike is so fast that the action does not open properly.

If I use 4227, the rifle functions as intended.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 7:00am
Print Post  
If you look a a quickness chart 2400 and 4227 are about the same, however  Like Westerner I have seen a lot of difference in how they burn. 

I always got a lot of unburned powder in 2400 loads that were under maximum.  4227 will leave unburned powder if not up to pressure but seems to me the range is wider with 4227.  It's possible on the hot side 2400 is better, lot of people use it in fast .357 loads. I never load hot so can't say. I do know 4227 will spike if loaded hot.  Ones double base one single which probably makes a considerable difference in how they perform.

Pressure is important to result. I just switched my 38/55 fixed match loads from 4759 to 4227  Had been using 15.5 of 4759 all of 2009 & 2010. Started with 16grs of 4227 lots of unburned powder poor result. Worked up to 17.5 and it burns complete and results are as good as the 4759 loads could be better, will know for sure after a few more matches. I was running that particular new lot Hodgen 4227 too low starting loads.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint