Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 25-20 Single Shot (Read 11243 times)
aktrap
Participating Member

25-20 Single Shot
Feb 17th, 2011 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Good morning.  I am having trouble resizing Bertram 25-20 Single Shot brass to fit the chamber of a very nice 1904 Winchester Low Wall.  Dies are CH4D dies from BACO and brass is new unfired.  Is the Bertram brass the problem and maybe I should just buy new Jamison brass?

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 25-20 Single Shot
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
I would suggest that you make a chamber cast of your rifle and also do one of your dies, then measure the brass and both casts to see where the problem is.  It's more than likely the brass, but it's always possible that your sizing die may be at fault.  If the die's dimensions check out, make sure that you use a good sizing lube, like Imperial Sizing Wax.  For the first sizing, remove the decapping/expanding rod from your sizing die.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

aktrap
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the information.  I have run the brass fully into the sizing die without the decapping rod using Imperial Sizing lube.  The brass seems to be larger only at the base.  The sized case chambers all but the last 3/16" and there are marks at the base when the brass is removed.  My first thought has been the Bertram brass may just be over sized at the base.  Thanks, Wally

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
What is the diameter of the base of the Bertram brass? My G&H 22-3000 is .315 and Jamison is the same size. If yours is much larger than that, you may have to buy the smaller (as in right size) Jamison brass to chamber.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Interesting that you ran into this in a .25-20.  I have fought the same exact problem with two of my Lovells, but in both rifles it was because the oldtime gunsmiths had reamed the chambers small.  Assuming the problem is oversize brass, you could swage your Bertram brass to reduce the base, but now that the Jamison can be had, I'd say just buy new and don't look back.  But if you DO have a small chamber, P/M me and I'll talk you through the process of "small-basing" .25-20 / Lovell brass.  

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Quote:
The brass seems to be larger only at the base.  The sized case chambers all but the last 3/16" and there are marks at the base when the brass is removed.

AK, couple of suggestions:
1.  Seat the resizing die to the shell holder with the ram fully in the down position.  Then turn the die down an additional 1 - 2 turns.  This will put more crimp on the web of the resized case where the base starts
2.  Leave the decapping pin in while resizing.  The pin has the expander on it.  With no expander, any case will not have the mouth of the case expanded to the proper bullet diameter when you reload them.  Even when you bell the case and seat the bullet, the neck tension will be so tight that accuracy will be impaired with a tension greater than 0.001 to 0.002

I had the same 'oversized' brass issue reforming 30-30 cases to 8.15x46R.  Every case was 0.315 in one spot on the web.  I needed 0.313.  Turned the resizing die down, ran the cases through again and they all chambered correctly.  A few were tight chambering but cammed in.  When they were fireformed - no issues chambering and extracting

IP Logged

dennismc

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
uscra112,  You have a PM.  

Dennis

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
John, I should have gone into more detail.  When forming/sizing new brass where a lot of metal has to be moved, I prefer to leave the decapping/expanding rod out.  After it's formed, I'll then go back and re process it with the rod back in.  Just less force on the brass/dies/press for the first forming steps, especially if a lot of sizing has to be done.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Hammer47

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 5:45am
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:
The brass seems to be larger only at the base.  The sized case chambers all but the last 3/16" and there are marks at the base when the brass is removed.

AK, couple of suggestions:
1.  Seat the resizing die to the shell holder with the ram fully in the down position.  Then turn the die down an additional 1 - 2 turns.  This will put more crimp on the web of the resized case where the base starts
2.  Leave the decapping pin in while resizing.  The pin has the expander on it.  With no expander, any case will not have the mouth of the case expanded to the proper bullet diameter when you reload them.  Even when you bell the case and seat the bullet, the neck tension will be so tight that accuracy will be impaired with a tension greater than 0.001 to 0.002

I had the same 'oversized' brass issue reforming 30-30 cases to 8.15x46R.  Every case was 0.315 in one spot on the web.  I needed 0.313.  Turned the resizing die down, ran the cases through again and they all chambered correctly.  A few were tight chambering but cammed in.  When they were fireformed - no issues chambering and extracting

Instead of putting so much pressure on your ram why not just chuck the shellholder in the lathe or on the mill and take a .010 or so off the top?

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 6:45am
Print Post  
AQK
Try a thin film of STP on your brass when sizing. Its the best sizing lube I have ever used. Been using it since Silent Sam. 
Tom

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Gee, I dunno about using STP.   It's awfully hard to get rid of it, and get rid of it you must, or you will have exaggerated bolt-thrust problems.   

I suppose dousing the cases in acetone or MEK would do it, that's either a fire hazard or a liver hazard, or both.   Will Brakleen do it?  Now that there's no 1,1,1 trichloroethane in it?   I dunno.

<div class=

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2011 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Dawn detergent and hot water will get rid of it. I use a very thin film.
Most of my loads re mild. It sure makes sizing easy.
Tom

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 8:05am
Print Post  
The easy answer is stay away from Berturm junk! Jamison is now making excellent brass for 25-20 SS. If you are using a caliber that you can't find brass other than Bertrum for, make a chamber cast and send it to Rocky Mountain Cartridge. He will make a case that is right you can then throw out that Bertrum junk.

40 Rod

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 3rd, 2011 at 3:21pm
Print Post  

And a "good morning" to you as well,  Aktrap !

I would like to "second" what Mr. 40-Rod has said.

Why put yourself through all the hassle of trials and tribulations associated with Bertram's misdeeds, when the answer is as close as your telephone?  (Just phone up Jamison)
All the hoops and gyrations make for interesting reading, but why go through all that?

I have been using Jamison 25-20 S.S. since it recently came to the market place and it is quality at a fair price, guaranteed !

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 3rd, 2011 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The brass seems to be larger only at the base.  The sized case chambers all but the last 3/16" and there are marks at the base when the brass is removed
Wally, sorry I missed the part about 'larger only at the base' after using the CH4D die.

OK, give this a try because I had a slight larger diameter on some of the reformed 30-30 cases for the 8.15x46R using the CH4D die...

Again, seat the resizing die 1-2 extra turns and then put a shim on the shell holder to take up the space between the top of the shell holder and the bottom of the case rim .  Gonna bet, when you run the cases through the die again, at the web where the case base starts, your going to feel resistance.  The shim under the shell holder is now allowing the die to squeeze the web area (base) smaller ... allowing the cases to chamber properly in a tight chamber

Worth a try instead of buying new brass! 

PS: A skilled gun crank showed me this trick.  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint