Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) .25-25 Stevens...Smokeless? (Read 14347 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

.25-25 Stevens...Smokeless?
Feb 11th, 2011 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Hello friends, I have a question..I am about to become the lucky owner of a No. 3 Ballard, that has quite a few special features..28" full oct,..looks to be about N0.3 size. Nimcheski engraving both sides & top frame flats. Georgeous flame burl walnut, rifle butt, vernier tang & globe frnt., dbl. set triggers, georgous flame burl walnut.  Someone in very distant past has re-bored/chambered in .25-25 Stevens.  Mint bore, & nice and tight.  My question is the use of smokeless in this cast action?  I spoke with the folks at Ballard LLC, and they recommended starting with black & use chronograph & try to duplicate velocity with low pressure smokeless.  I sure wouldn,t want to do any harm to a valuable antique...and I am not just refering to the rifle! Cheesy
Concerning black..I have heard good reports of the Swiss powders..What grain size would you black-powder experts recommend in this tiny bore?  I  use mostlyIMR & H4227 , and AA5744 powder in single-shots, what are your opinions on the use of TrailBoss?  Thank you so much!

IP Logged

henpeckedmuch
Ex Member

Re: .25-25 Stevens...Smokeless?
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
I use 3F Swiss in up to and including 45-70 although most folks use 1.5F for 45-70 .  3F powder would seem right to me as 4F is recomended as a priming powder in flint locks. Fouling in small caliber rifles using Black Powder would have to be a problem unless one ran a dampened patch down the bore about every shot.
This to me would feel normal as I do that with every muzzel loader I shoot. It would be much easier in a breach loader.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Be carefull of trailboss in a cast action. People have reported pressure spikes when stuffing cartridges full to try and get up to a decent speed. I don't know of anyone who has reported good target results with this powder. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Hello, This is for you powder/reloader experts out there, in your opinion, is there ANY smokeless that would be considered safe in this cast Ballard action?  Or... if I want absolutly safe..do I have to stick with black?  Thanks.

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
I've shot many rounds of smokless powder through my cast Ballard, 32/40 -- 200 gr bullet -- 13.0 gr  AA#9   this load is about 20,000 psi which is about what a full load of black would be, so I consider it safe.  ledball

IP Logged

bisaacson

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Two ways to go: 1) since you have data various places for low pressure smokeless loads in other .25 cartridges, with the same weight and alloy bullets (soft, one would think), you can use acceptable listed loads to start with with the understanding that you will have to increase them gradually, as the extra case volume will lower pressures, until you make the rifle happy or 2) using case volume divided by bullet base area, you'll find that the 25-25 is like the .40-65 Win., .32 win. Special, 32-40, or 45-110, but scaled down. You can scale down both bullet weight and charges (using low pressure loads to begin with) using the case volume relationships between the cartridges you have data for and the 25-25. Needless to say, BE CONSERVATIVE!! You'll probably find light Unique loads for most cartridges, and useable Blue Dot loads can be found by multiplying Unique loads by 1.4. AA9, 4227, 5744, and various other "slow" pistol powders seem to work fairly well with soft cast bullets because the point is to keep pressures low with old guns. Again - BE CONSERVATIVE!! Have fun, too, and tell us all if you figure out something that works really well. But above all - BE CONSERVATIVE!!

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
I'll back what 40 Rod said.   Trail Boss has a peculiar property - it's fast burning, but according to my QuickLoad software it has a remarkably low energy content.   Adding powder to get more fps increases the peak pressure, but it dies off so fast that it doesn't translate into velocity.   

For an 86 grain plain base bullet, try 4-5 grains Unique.   Others to try at about the same charge weight would be Accurate #5 or #7, or any of the slower shotgun powders like Herco or Longshot.   Hodgdon Lil'Gun is a possibility to be explored.

QuickLoad is a great tool for mucking about with these old cartridges for which there is precious little load data!   Even at the price, $165, I wish I'd had it sooner.

FWIW the Lovell I'm now shooting is on a cast action Ballard, built 50-60 years ago by Sedgley. Hervey Lovell also built at least one. Those old boys weren't afraid of it, and they were loading at much higher pressures than we would consider today.  The weak link is the split breechblock and the firing pin.   The fact that it's a cast receiver is less of a worry.  I'm keeping to a 20,000 psi limit regardless, which with modern powders can still yield 2500 fps.  Shooting cast, you need not even approach 20K psi.  Just be real careful to avoid double-charging!  

<div class=

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2011 at 11:59am
Print Post  
I'm very curious about this rifle. Can you post any pictures. Or email me any. Factory engraved #3's are very,very rare. DST, engraved are even very very rare. How did you determine it to be a #3. Are the top corners of the action cut off in a non pointed fashion? Do the numbers match barrel and action?  Don

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 12:36am
Print Post  
You'd have to find the pressure limits for your Ballard action yourself, but I've done some work on the .25-25 in my Low Wall.

Ideal 25720, 8-10 gr XMP-5744, MV 1220-1480 fps.  I've gone to 12 gr and 1800 fps with nothing to show for it but inaccuracy.

Tried 4198 from 12 to 15.5 gr and no accuracy to show for it although it got to almost 2200 ft/sec with the last loading.  12.5 gr with the 87 gr Remington jacketed bullet gave a 1-1/8" group at 100 yards.  Using the gas checked Ideal 257464 with the same powder charge got about 2" at 50 yd.

I went from 12 to 18 gr of Reloder 7 with the Remington JFP and the same range of charges of VihtaVouri N-133.  Generally the best accuracy was in the middle of the charges (14-15 gr) going 1-1/2" at 50 yards and 2-1/2" at a hundred for the best average groups.  17 gr of VVN-133 shows some promise and the bullets just shade 2000 fps.

I don't know how much help this will be to you.  What I've been trying to do is to take the .25-25 out of the .25-20 range of velocities and get maybe a Hi-Speed loading for the 87 gr bullet around what the 60-gr did in the .25-20 WCF, around 2200 ft/sec.  So far though, the cartridge seems to be happiest in the 1400-1700 ft/sec range, and lower than that with cast bullets, although gas check designs seem to take a little more velocity.

In your rifle, I'd recommend sticking with the .25-20 level loadings.  The 8-10 gr XMP-5744 loads showed no signs of pressure problems.

On an unrelated note, when is Jamison going to make some .25 cylindrical Basic brass for the legions of .25-21 and .25-25 enthusiasts? Cry  I think a large part of my accuracy problems come from the variances in the Bertram brass I use.

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 6:59am
Print Post  
Bent ramrod,
WOW, Those loads you list are almost twice as much as we use in our .25's.  I would certainly not recommend them to anyone, especially not someone shooting one of the weaker cast frame Ballards.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Quarterbore,

Some of them are fairly stiff, all right, but I've seen no extraction problems or extreme pressure signs in the Low Wall.  Would you say the 8-10 gr of XMP-5744 was excessive?  

I only recommended the regular .25-20 loadings, if I recall.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2011 at 12:39am
Print Post  
That 15 grain 4198 load computed to well beyond 30K in QuickLoad! The 5744 load is less than 20K though.

One thing I've noted about my Sedgley is that it is breeched up so tight that the lever snaps the last 1/4" on closing.  Without going into a lot of engineeringese, this helps the action handle higher pressures.   None of my other three Ballards locks up like this, and I suspect that most don't.   Tight as it is, I don't plan to take my baby into the 30K realm.   A looser-breeched one - ahhhh, no.  When I want to do that I have other actions that I don't risk damaging.  

I know where Bent Ramrod is going.  Pepping-up the .25-20SS was tried in the early '30s, and written about in the Rifleman. It was a noble effort, but the development of the Hornet and the Lovell, which gave the market incentive to supply .22 caliber varmint bullets in quantity, passed the small capacity .25s right by as varmint exterminators.   Their remaining niche was (and is) small-game, using modest velocities that leave something for the pot.  

And of course they make dandy target rifles, don't they?  Wink

<div class=

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Hello, and thanks everyone for the helpful replys.  I will send more info on rufle when I get it.  I was wondering...What if I loaded say Swiss FFFG & chronographed most accurate load..would this be any help in determining equalivent smokeless load?  Would want to keep pressure same or below if possible..is there a correlation, without having to invest in a strain gage?  Thanks guys! Undecided

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Go here     (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)    Buy the QuickLoad software, and rest easy.

I've had only one trip to the range since I started using it, but on that trip the velocities it predicted were mighty close to what the Chrony read off for Hornet, Lovell, and .38 Long Colt loads I tested.  Also been checking it against published loads from old (pre-lawyer) manuals where they printed the pressures.  It correlates pretty well.  

Make sure you've entered all the nitpicky details correctly.  Small changes in seating depth or case volume entries do have an effect.  Measure actual case volume, for example.   I found that one make of Lovell cases was 20 grains water, and one was 19.  That made the difference between a 50,000 psi load and a 60,000 psi load, all other things being equal.  

To reiterate - the big risk you take with loading smokeless in your Ballard is not the load choice itself, it's the risk of double-charging a case.  THAT cannot be defended against except by meticulous care in loading.   As always.

<div class=

IP Logged

bisaacson

Reply #14 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
"I was wondering...What if I loaded say Swiss FFFG & chronographed most accurate load..would this be any help in determining equalivent smokeless load?" Ah, would that that were so. It may get you into the ballpark, but there are too many other variables that start coming into play when changing just propellants. Even at an equivalent pressure, the burn characteristics and pressure rise profile of the various possible smokeless loads you might try will change how the bullet upsets, how the lubricant works, how the barrel vibrates, how the gun recoils, etc., etc., and thus change accuracy. To add more worms to your can, start fooling with bullet metal mix, hardness, lubricants, sizing, tempering, seating depth, crimping, annealing, throating, neck tension, etc., etc., and soon the variables start to outrun your patience or pocketbook. For the true rifle crank, all this stuff is grist for endless fascination and experimentation, plus an excuse to buy more nifty toys. Have fun!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint