Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Modern .22 ctg.'s in vintage match-rifles (Read 4063 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Modern .22 ctg.'s in vintage match-rifles
Mar 4th, 2011 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Hello, everyone, that post by Hank45 got me thinking of accuracy of modern .22 ctgs. in vintage match rifles.  Last summer, I took out a Ballard 6 1/2 Rigby/Peterson .22 off-hand match rifle.  30" full-rnd. brl.  Vernier tang/Hadley style adj. appa. cup, & beach front.  Tried everything from Eley Tenex..Red box, to Win. T22.  It didn't care for the top-end expensive stuff.  Lapua Midas M was shooting well under 1/2"..some going into same holes!  CCI Green Tag averaged about 9/16..not too bad for practice. 
  Also took along Ballard 6 1/2 Rigby/Pope.  This one is a 1930 prone rifle, 28" #3 brl.  I had an early Lyman 10X Targetspot in blks.  This also didn't care for the Tenex, but was putting the Lapua into 3/8".  Green tag was going into 1/2".  All shooting for both rifles was at 50yds.
  Gary Quinlan was of the opinion that the best match .22's of the early 1900's were equilevant to our basic std. velocity.   
These .22's are habit forming...Just like peanuts..you can't just have one! Grin

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Modern .22 ctg.'s in vintage match-rifles
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2011 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
There's a lot of the modern match ammo I haven't tried, but the ammo that shoots well seems to shoot well in all my quality .22 rifles. For the money the Green Tag seems to be awfully good, and Tenex shoots great too, but pretty steep prices around here.
Both shoot well in my #6 Schuetzen Zettler, and my Win. 52. I use more Green Tag, as it's cheaper to buy.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
I've had real good luck with Remington subsonic 22lr in everything not a semi auto pistol or ruger 10/22 I try it in.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
I've taken to shooting about 20 shots each week from my BSA 12/15, before starting on the 'serious' stuff (BPCR).  My shooting is prone, with sling at 75m.  I have to say that if I do my 'thing', that rifle is scarily accurate, considering my average shooting skills.  I even break shooting position between shots (i.e. put down the rifle) in order to make it a good training for the BP work.  It does help with the technique.
I do have to add that I'm using up some ammo I was using from the time I shot RF benchrest - I just finished the Fiocchi Maxac, and will start now on the Lapua Midas.  There's no substitute for quality ammo - period.
Maybe I should also set up my BSA Mk V for prone work - but then, I'm not used to shooting with a single-point sling, that would be quite a bit harder.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2011 at 12:48pm by MartiniBelgian »  
IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
In our family, my wife is a very serious competitor in Rimfire Benchrest Association (RBA) and IR 50-50 matches.  Her rifles are custom built and specifically chambered for Eley EPS ammunition.  My rimfire rifles are older (much older) and chambered for whatever was popular when they were built.

What we've learned from each other is that Eley Tenex is a huge waste of money unless you're feeding it to purpose-built rifles with tuners.

We've also learned that less expensive ammo does not win matches regardless of rifle.  With rimfire ammunition, you pay for shot-to-shot consistency.  Bargain ammo is less consistent than more expensive ammo. That's the sad truth.

So, the older rifles get Eley Team, Eley Match, Eley OSP, and the remainder of a particulary good lot of RWS-R50 I purchased many years ago.

This is not an Eley ad.  We use Eley because we test a lot of ammo and this is the stuff that generates the best scores in the older rifles.  The point I'm trying to make is that you should look for ammo in the $10.00 to $13.00 per box category and test until you find what works in your rifle - just don't buy Tenex unless money is no object.  It gives you nothing in this application.

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

tjshooter
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Now first let me say that MartiniBelgian is  so modest  average Huh.I have seen him shoot.
Secondly I shoot older BSA and Greener martinis out to 200yds and the Eley or other good quality ammo is just fine, @ 200 Eley  Match will give a tighter group but  as above Tenex is not worth the expense for the open tops.  TJ.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint